2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

If they want to hand out assists, why not one for Cheryou?  Cleared it to Vaquez then to GIO for a goal.  The hockey assist for him for sure.  He deserves something, he played well and the drop off from Bradley wasnt that bad.  It was nice to see when NE started to ramp up the pressure, the CDN came in and did well.  NE probed Morgans left side over and over but he did a decent job.  Chapman and Osorio both got a nice little run out and worked hard chasing NE for the last 15-20min.  With Altidore and Gio playing 90, maybe we see Hamilton and Rickets start the 2nd leg of CDN championship on tuesday??  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Chapman and Osorio both got a nice little run out and worked hard chasing NE for the last 15-20min.  

I didn't see much of this match but the parts I did see in the second half featured Osorio having a lot of giveaways.

43 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I didn't see much of this match but the parts I did see in the second half featured Osorio having a lot of giveaways.

Thought Osorio was terrible, he's so careless on the ball. I'm not sure the risk is worth the potential reward of playing him unless you're down a goal. Chapman was lively though.

Post-game Vanney said that the subs they brought on (all of whom were Canadian for the 2nd game in a row) all did a nice job of keeping the game under control. While Osorio did have two consecutive giveaways shortly after he came on, I am guessing Vanney probably didn't mind those turnovers as much because they occurred so deep in NE territory, unlike some of the earlier ones like Morrow and Endoh had done which gifted NE with gilt-edge scoring opportunities. After that he settled down. Interesting (having watched the broadcast of the game this morning after being in the stands last night) to hear Kristian Jack's sideline commentary where he relayed a lot of Vanney's frustrations and comments to his assistant coaches to the viewer - Cooper was taken off (even though he hadn't played two days before) in favour of Osorio because it was felt that he'd been a "passenger" defensively (I'm also guessing the stupidly needless off the ball fouls wouldn't have endeared him either) while they decided to keep a tired Altidore on for the rest of the game because they felt they needed Chapman to come and shore up the midfield and retain possession - which I thought he did for the most part.

7 hours ago, shermanator said:

Agree with this. Osorio did not look good in his minutes yesterday. Turnover machine.

Regardless of Cooper's overall performance, Osorio didn't make a case for himself being the regular starter alongside Bradley and Vazquez.  Makes you wonder what our NT will be getting come GC time, too.

18 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not good news at all for Beitashour or TFC:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/06/29/steven-beitashour-injury-update

I am guessing with Cooper away that's going to mean either a change in formation or Endoh plays as a right wingback for at least the next two games.

Shift Morrow to the right (he's done it before) and have Edwards at LWB? 

"Toronto FC announced Thursday that defender Steven Beitashour sustained an abdominal injury in Tuesday’s game against the Montreal Impact, damaging his pancreas. As a result, Beitashour underwent surgery on Wednesday night and is now in stable condition."

On 6/26/2017 at 10:38 AM, Ruffian said:

With potentially Morrow and Edwards gone for the Gold Cup we will probably see Morgan get a decent amount of playing time at LB.

Ashton plays so predictable and trying to be safe just in order to be there.It is about the time for him to grow as a player 

He has to take his chances and start to make a different 

Based on the starting line-up, looks like Morgan is going to play in a back 3 for TFC agaisnt Orlando? Although I don't think the MLS website is correct by listing him as the central defender in the back three.

Chapman & Hamilton are on the bench for TFC to start while Johnson and Larin start for Orlando with Laryea on the bench - 3 Canucks apiece, though it helps that Orlando's top Canucks are not at the Gold Cup.

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

I hope you guys appreciate Giovinco and Altidore. I'd sell my first born to get them on the Whitecaps.

Now that Jozy is healthy he is showing everyone what he is capable of and for a big man he has great touch.  His assist to Giovinco demonstrated incredible patience and vision.  Giovinco is the most talented player in MLS in my opinion and how he keeps getting stiffed for the Italian team is a travesty.  He maybe just needs to work on how to be subbed out.;)

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Chapman now in in the 60th minute.  Team up 2-0 on a Giovinco goal from Altidore.  Morgan has been solid and had a great chance to shoot but tried to center the ball - too unselfish.

Probably moreso not confident enough to shoot - I can't recall Morgan ever taking a shot on goal ever for TFC. I mean, not even in the warm-ups does he ever try that.

I agree though he was solid, maybe allowed too many crosses for my liking but most of them were from players in largely stationary positions (or at least not moving quickly) so they tended to not be that dangerous.

I think Vanney may be more pleased from the Norwegian player on the right though - mainly because with Morgan I think he knows he can get that kind of solid but unspectacular performance but Alseth was a step up from Endoh on the right and it was the first time he showed he could play decently at this level after being somewhat poor against Dallas (but the whole team was IMO).

All three Canucks looks good tonight, and it was pleasing that this match could feature 6 Canucks in total with another 3 being at the Gold Cup. Although arguagly that should be 5 at the Gold Cup

Archived