2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

6 minutes ago, TRM said:

Watched the game and thought Edwards did great. As to Gio well attitude aside I'd have subbed Altidore as he wasn't doing much except missing the net.

Didn't think the subs did much. Was it Cheyrou who did the turnover that spoiled the clean sheet?

The sub was in the 85th minute. It was 3-0, the 3 points were pretty well locked up. Im shocked all the TFC fans trying to defend his actions. Giovinco thinks he is bigger then the team, maybe he is? At the end of the day though this is a team sport and clearly Giovinco is all about himself and not the team. This is a recipe for disaster but it looks like management will just let him throw his temper tantrums to try and keep their 5 million dollar man happy.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TRM said:

I'm not a TFC fan. I didn't think his exit behaviour was in any way justified. Just saying that I'd have pulled Altidore not Gio.

Fair point. Also sorry, for the record I wasnt referring directly to you (even though I quoted you). I was just over reading the TFC fan site and many of the fans over there were trashing Vanney for subbing him and saying his behavior was justified. 

I agree with you though Altidore wasnt on his game. 

Still from Gio's perspective he needs to respect the managers decision and support his club.

6 hours ago, TRM said:

. Was it Cheyrou who did the turnover that spoiled the clean sheet?

Yes - he was another player who looked fairly rusty as I think his only contribution to the game was that play and another two missed passes.  Although the rustiness was understandable under the circumstances

I was disappointed in Giovinco's tantrum when he was subbed off.   Problem is, with players like this, is that TFC is a totally different club when he is on his game and motivated than they are when when he his off his game.  You can see no better example than the performance on friday versus the first six games.   

How do you replace and where do you find the kind of things he is capable of of doing?  

Are you aware of the frequency with which strikers take a yellow either just before or shortly after scoring?

There is something more to being a goal scorer that is psychological. I am not saying everyone needs it, but a lot do. 

Gio, in most games you see in MLS, looks like the best player on the field. He is sometimes ineffective, or stopped effectively, but he almost always looks like the best of the 22 out there. 

Let him kick some BMO furnishings, it is part of the goal scoring, not antithetical to it. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Are you aware of the frequency with which strikers take a yellow either just before or shortly after scoring?

There is something more to being a goal scorer that is psychological. I am not saying everyone needs it, but a lot do. 

Gio, in most games you see in MLS, looks like the best player on the field. He is sometimes ineffective, or stopped effectively, but he almost always looks like the best of the 22 out there. 

Let him kick some BMO furnishings, it is part of the goal scoring, not antithetical to it. 

I am not aware, what is the frequency?  

April 28 2-0 win

Edwards very good and Altidore very happy with him. Giovinco was bad and took a number of shots, one off the post the rest blocked or right on the keeper. Got taken off the ball easily a few times. Vanney didn't dare take him off this time and instead subbed the player of the game Altidore. Osorio and Ricketts subbed in late, which seems like their place now. Chapman stayed on the bench and made a big puff at the end. 9 of the houston starting 11 speaks spanish and or portuguese if we include beasley and delagarza and all three subs latinos. Good win against a team that had a strong start to the season.

On 2017/04/29 at 3:58 AM, grasshopper1917 said:

I love the contrast between Altidore being subbed off this week and Giovinco last week. Altidore a high five for his coach and teammates and then watched the game with his team. A true team player vs a spoiled brat.

Giovinco is a winner. The real problem would be if he is eager to come off.

On 2017-4-25 at 5:23 AM, Bison44 said:

I am not aware, what is the frequency?  

Bison 44, I don't have time to study this properly. So you are right to doubt me. I just noticed looking at tons of game reports, there is a high frequency of card then goal, goal then card, amongst strikers particularly. I think it is an adrenalin thing, you score and you are hyped so you enter hard, you try to make things happen and go hard in the air vs. a defender, get carded. Then you are set to strike. As I am an amateur when it comes to psychology, can't say more. 

28 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

TFC has signed Ben Spencer. This guy has been poor so far in USL. Does anyone know who his uncle is? 

Does this signafy the end for Hamilton? Cant wait for the CPL and the opportunity to support Canadian football. 

LOL not sure about that but he's clearly been one of Vanney's projects considering his time with RSL is exactly when he was at that academy and then he went to Chivas when Vanney did as well.

Glad Vanney is always looking out for the local players.

"Toronto FC are good for Canadian Soccer and Canadian Soccer is good for TFC" - Bill Manning

It just gets better doesn't it? Please, we need a CPL announcement soon, this organization (TFC) has an agenda which doesn't seem to include much Canadian content, I guess that's why the fans want, Bill Manning says so! 

Archived