Toronto CPL

madmonte

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Maybe with some smart marketing as an affordable 'rebel brand' they could draw enough support to fill a small stadium. Now just to find a smart marketing/owners group and a suitable stadium  lol

oh yea this team needs to be marketed as an alternative. thinking it'll end up being in that etobicoke stadium after a reno.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Upon reflection I think a CPL franchise in Toronto would be a terrible Idea. I love the city but it is totally saturated with sports and entertainment. The Marlies struggle to put 5000 people a game in the seats despite being a high quality affordable alternative to the Toronto Maple leafs in a 'hockey mad' city. Its hard to make a dent in the Toronto sports market and TFC has done that. I cant see a CPL team getting sufficient support to  survive.

The Marlies don't struggle. They are a minor league affiliate that draws above average attendance despite little to no marketing, little history, and no media attention. 

I don't think CPL Toronto will have great attendance, but you can't walk away from a city of several million just because TFC draws 25k attendees and 50k TV viewers. There's growth potential, and a single entity league can support it if it's not an instant hit

It is, however, an argument that CPL Toronto has to market itself as a rival of TFC, IMO. Not quite in a destructive bash-your-league Cosmos way, but it has to be more provocative than "Toronto's 'other' pro soccer team". 

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The Marlies don't struggle. They are a minor league affiliate that draws above average attendance despite little to no marketing, little history, and no media attention...

In the past MLSE coupled buying tickets for their other teams (including TFC briefly in one context that started to be referred to as "ransom packs" on TFC fan group boards) with Marlies tickets. I am not sure to what extent they still do that, but it's not safe to assume that the announced numbers for the Marlies represent the demand level for AHL hockey in the GTA as a standalone product, if MLSE were not involved and there was no Maple Leafs connection.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2140281

I was offered a half season ticket (purples approx. $95 per ticket) for the Leafs (i've been on the STH waiting list since 2004) and if i wanted it i also had to buy a half season of platinum Marlies tickets at $35 per ticket.

The Marlies are a bad comparison to a Toronto CPL team.  MLSE doesn't need to make money with them. They make more than enough with the Leafs to subsidize the Marlies if they needed.  They run the arena and having the team in the same market is advantageous for the Leafs for them to put up with a negative cash flow (if there is one).

That being said for the record I think a CPL team can work in Toronto. 

14 hours ago, matty said:

Actually orange does have a place in Toronto culture but I'm doubtful connecting the team to the Order of Orange would be a good idea.

Why not green and blue? Googled Toronto colours and this article from the Star came up mentioning how bridged are now painted in a uniform Blue-Green. Sounds kind of neat.

Plus it seems like a pretty unique scheme in soccer. The only clubs I can think of that uses it their main scheme is the Seattle Sounders (aka TFC killers), Santos Laguna (who are more aqua) and maybe Krasnodar (but it might just be dark green) so the jersey would stand out. Also that's not a bad batch to be with when you look at their records.

I like it.  From a political perspective I'm also in love with the idea of combining blue and green.  Aka environmentalism and fiscal conservatism.  But I'm probably getting a bit carried away haha 

About all the speculation of success or failure of that team I say this:

If there`s one things that`s sure about life, is that nothing`s for sure.

Like in everything, including MLS when they launch, there`s no guarantee. I`m just focusing on doing my part which will be to buy season tickets and watch it on TV/PVR the matches when I can`t make it.

On March 8, 2017 at 9:36 PM, matty said:

Why not green and blue? Googled Toronto colours and this article from the Star came up mentioning how bridged are now painted in a uniform Blue-Green. Sounds kind of neat.

Plus it seems like a pretty unique scheme in soccer. The only clubs I can think of that uses it their main scheme is the Seattle Sounders (aka TFC killers), Santos Laguna (who are more aqua) and maybe Krasnodar (but it might just be dark green) so the jersey would stand out. Also that's not a bad batch to be with when you look at their records.

At first I thought the combo would be ugly, especially if we go with a Sounders style colour pattern. However, upon further digging, a soccer version of this would be...:wub:

image.jpeg

However, I'm inclined to think the Halifax team might use it instead based on the scarves they recently opted for.

Edited by Macksam

15 minutes ago, Macksam said:

At first I thought the combo would be ugly, especially if we go with a Sounders style colour pattern. However, upon further digging, a soccer version of this would be...:wub:

image.jpeg

However, I'm inclined to think the Halifax team might use it instead based on the scarves they recently opted for.

looks alot like the canucks haha, not sure how that would fly.  Still think straight blue is the best option

how do we tie this in with the cronenbergs?

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

looks alot like the canucks haha, not sure how that would fly.  Still think straight blue is the best option

how do we tie this in with the cronenbergs?

Yeah, it does look like the Canucks, except this blue is a tad darker. Coastal colours would be good for Halifax.

I have another idea for Toronto, Off white with aqua blue accents.

Edit: I love the current off white As Monaco away kit. I might even prefer the dark blue here to the proposed aqua blue.

Monaco.jpg

Edited by Macksam

On 3/9/2017 at 0:23 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Also, do you have something with the exact blue green, just curious

Picture%20Dowling%20over%20Rail%20croppe

I am guessing this is the colour. It's interesting, but I am not sure if it reminds me of Toronto right away. As a nice contrast to TFC, I'd say go with the maple leaf/blue jays blue and white with a touch of red colour scheme. 

Always been a fan of South China's away jerseys:
img59356595.jpg
south-china-41.jpg

If we do go that route, I must say that even though I am huge Chelsea fan, I feel Schalke 04 always has the superior adidas kits when it comes to royal blue/white teams. Especially this year. Blue shirt, white shorts and white socks are the way to go.

Schalke-Home-Kit-16-17.jpg

Edited by Macksam