Toronto CPL

madmonte

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Arizona's is practically in Brampton.  I'll go next time if the location is more central and it's not on a weeknight ffs.  I suggest Scallywags as that has been the home of the Toronto Vs for years now.

(And for the love of God consider a name change, what the hell does Cronenberg have to do with Football,

I'm in this same boat...Just did Google maps, and it'll take me between 45mins to an hr to get there baring in mind no traffic (which is rarely on the 401).

So I would definitely be late, cause I have to pick up the lady from work.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Christ on a bike help me out here).

LOL...never heard that one before.

However @matty baring in mind some further details, I'm still interested just won't be able to make it tonight.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Not to be divisive, but it seems like having multiple groups isn't the worst idea. Downtowns aren't going to commute out for a bar night, vice versa for 905ers. 

Was gonna talk that over tonight actually part of the reason we're meeting by the airport is for 905 guys who wanted to meet

3 hours ago, johnluckpickherd said:

I'm currently working on a project in Halifax (Up the Wanderers!) but would like to get involved with the Toronto CPL group when I get back home in a month or so. Hope the meeting goes well!

The meeting went great! The Cronenbergs were blessed by a visit from mr Beirne and we're game for a second meeting on the subway line sometime this month. Will most more details when i get home. A l1o team is going to get some love i think.

So quick notes from the meeting

1. The stuff spoken about with Mr. Beirne is sealed
2. We're meeting at Scally Wags later this month and will be doing a poll soon on Twitter to pick a date
3. While turn out was less than excepted, everyone present agrees supporting a L1O team, in addition to CPL, is the right thing to do
4. This group will likely be anti-Hamilton but that's still to be decided
5. The name Cronenbergs is liked by not just those members there but Mr. Beirne as well. It's different and standout. If you want to bring it up at meeting 2 we can talk it over a bit but for now it stays. Logo will totes change
6. If you want to join or attend meeting 2 send me a DM and I'll attach you to a Voyageurs mail group
7. Working on a second short film about a peeping tom will result in you saying "voyageurs" wrong

15 hours ago, matty said:

I like this. We are considering hating Hamilton, but we aren't quite sure. We will have to do a cost/benefit analysis to determine the effects of said hatred.

Glad to hear the meeting went well. I hope your numbers keep increasing with subsequent meetings,

30 minutes ago, Kent said:

I like this. We are considering hating Hamilton, but we aren't quite sure. We will have to do a cost/benefit analysis to determine the effects of said hatred.

Glad to hear the meeting went well. I hope your numbers keep increasing with subsequent meetings,

Yea 5-7 jerseys are gonna cost quite a bit also one of the guys was from Hamilton

18 hours ago, matty said:

So quick notes from the meeting

1. The stuff spoken about with Mr. Beirne is sealed
2. We're meeting at Scally Wags later this month and will be doing a poll soon on Twitter to pick a date
3. While turn out was less than excepted, everyone present agrees supporting a L1O team, in addition to CPL, is the right thing to do
5. The name Cronenbergs is liked by not just those members there but Mr. Beirne as well. It's different and standout. If you want to bring it up at meeting 2 we can talk it over a bit but for now it stays. Logo will totes change
6. If you want to join or attend meeting 2 send me a DM and I'll attach you to a Voyageurs mail group
7. Working on a second short film about a peeping tom will result in you saying "voyageurs" wrong

I still haven't forgotton about you guys.

I can do better.  Just let me get through the next few weeks of school haha shits getting real

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Why do we need to hate Hamilton?

Does one hate a mosquito?  No; one pities it for its insignificance and then destroys it.

On May 9, 2017 at 10:12 PM, matty said:

The meeting went great! The Cronenbergs were blessed by a visit from mr Beirne and we're game for a second meeting on the subway line sometime this month. Will most more details when i get home. A l1o team is going to get some love i think.

It was great of him to swing by. I need to double down now on my support of this league after what I heard. Not that I needed any extra motivation. :D

Edited by Macksam

28 minutes ago, Macksam said:

It was great of him to swing by. I need to double down now on my support of this league after what I heard. Not that I needed any extra motivation. :D

I am both intrigued and jealous.   

It's amazing how much info comes out at these supporters meetings but doesn't make it to the forum. 

Edited by Alex D

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

I am both intrigued and jealous.   

It's amazing how much info comes out at these supporters meetings but doesn't make it to the forum. 

Strongly dislike....it's annoying when someone does that to you in person, on the forum its even worse.

Its a form of click bait that gets you. 

Yeah, it's not all that useful to the forum.

Person 1: I know a thing. It's awesome.

Person 2: Ohmygod, I wonder what it is.

Person 1: I'm not telling.

Person 2: Uh, um, sounds pretty amazing... Ibrahimovic to CPL!!!

Time passes, and it becomes apparent that the awesome thing was that there were several cities strongly interested in starting a team, but 60% of them fell through in the end.

8 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Strongly dislike....it's annoying when someone does that to you in person, on the forum its even worse.

Its a form of click bait that gets you. 

Let me clarify, it's not so much the information that we can't comment on that Matty alluded to, it's his overall character and passion for the project that I jive with, that's why I am excited.

Edited by Macksam

16 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Ah well maybe we'll get an article, talking about the new Toronto CPL SG, with a few special timbit's released.

There all linked right? 

I will mention something Paul B. said that was interesting and I never heard before. It was only CPL related things he doesn't want discussed so this he won't have an issue with I'm sure. He mentioned how the Whitecaps have never been profitable since entering MLS which at first surprised me slightly, but it made total sense after thinking it through in my head. I'm guessing that BC Place deal that probably looked serviceable on paper just plain and simply f***ing sucked in the end, and the team is now suffering because of it.

Edited by Macksam

Had some really interesting debates, since the official launch announcement, on twitter about a potential CPL Toronto side, and I thought I would pose a couple of simple questions here to get feedback from you guys in the forum that have tracked some of these issues much closer than I have.

Which stadiums, as of 2017, seem most likely to be a home for the side if an investor was willing to start a club in the Toronto city proper?

- My preference at the moment, based on what I know about them as of today, would be 1. Varsity, 2. York, 3. Monarch Park, 4. Esther Shiner, 5. Lamport. I understand that all 5 of these locations are less than ideal, based on 1. U of T & running track, 2. distance away from downtown core, 3. not big enough, 4. not good enough, 5. leased by MLSE in some capacity, according to Vocal Minority.

Which demographic groups should a CPL Toronto team market towards the most?

- My preference at the moment would be 1. Canadian soccer fans, people who follow and/or have attended CanMNT WCQs, Gold Cup, CanMNT/CanWNT friendlies; 2. Voyageurs, those who do the above, but more likely in one of the supporter sections and/or will travel, or post on the forums; 3. TFC fans who have become more unhappy with MLSE for various reasons (I'm not actually one of them though, not much); 4. European soccer fans; 5. residents of a specific borough, such as Scarborough or East York, appealing to borough pride. The reason I ask this is that I see some people gravitating specifically towards borough pride more than Canadian soccer fans, which I really think is the incorrect way to market what should be a "major league" division 1 football club. What I do think is the best way to market CPL Toronto is to unite as many as Canadian soccer fans in the city as possible, whichever neighbourhood you live in, because you have pride in Canadian soccer and because you know that CPL's main goal is to help advance soccer in Canada and the CanMNT. This is also why I would prefer to see the team in downtown, where it's the most accessible, if possible.

What reference, if any, should there be to Toronto Blizzard or Toronto Metros-Croatia or Toronto Lynx?

- My preference would be none, if possible. I firmly believe a CPL Toronto side should start fresh anew, with new marketing opportunities, and a break from the ghosts of the past. I also want to see all CPL sides marketed as professionally as possible, which MLS does do a good job of, as does the Premier League obviously. When you compare the marketing of the Prem to La Liga, for example, I believe all this does make a huge impression on viewers and fans that are on the fence. I think any references to any objects or mascots, such as the Blizzard, is a remnant of the North American soccer history of the past, and that we should be marketing football clubs here as professionally as possible. And yeah that does mean looking at England, as we are doing for the moniker Canadian Premier League.

I've floated various names on the previous GTA CPL supporters thread, as well as the CPL Potential Logos thread, but the one name that popped into my head today that I'm really happy with and could really get behind is AFC Toronto. Just as Wimbledon FC fans took the initiative, when Winkelman uprooted the team to Milton Keynes, to form AFC Wimbledon, I would love to see a Toronto FC vs AFC Toronto rivalry/derby form eventually. I would happily support both sides though, because I do believe that soccer in Canada still has enough room to grow that we have to support as much soccer in this nation as we can.

Except the Impact. Screw the Limp Act :)

Tldr version: I'd love to see CPL Toronto at Varsity Stadium, marketed mainly towards CanMNT and CanWNT fans and TFC fans, and possibly called AFC Toronto.

Edited by ironcub14

I tried to keep my post above as short as possible because I know it gets long-winded as hell, but I do know that the Blizzard name and logo is being used in L1O women's division anyways, so maybe it can't be used even if people wanted it to be. I do think most people here will be happy not bringing back the Blizzard moniker, but I do see some people on twitter really get behind it, so I thought I'd ask you all about it here.