Toronto CPL

madmonte

14 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I am pretty sure I've already posted in this thread but Lamport is a city owned venue that loses money. Despite MLSE managing it, I don't think they could turn down a tenant. 

MLSE only has control of Lamport when the bubble is up. Other than that, it's not up to them.

17 hours ago, Macksam said:

MLSE only has control of Lamport when the bubble is up. Other than that, it's not up to them.

Would you have a bit more specific details on what's MLSE's role with Lamport exactly? When you say the bubble is up, I know that the rec leagues around the city like TSSC or XTSC have leagues going on there all year including the dome season, but that's about all I know about it. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Would you have a bit more specific details on what's MLSE's role with Lamport exactly? When you say the bubble is up, I know that the rec leagues around the city like TSSC or XTSC have leagues going on there all year including the dome season, but that's about all I know about it. Thanks in advance.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-23709.pdf

The principal operational change will be MLSE’s management of winter operations of Lamport Stadium (currently Lamport Stadium is not used in the winter) after the winter bubble is relocated there from BMO Field.

That section 5(d) of the LOI be revised to include a provision to allow the City to, at its sole option, include in its review the potential use of Allan Lamport Stadium as a site for professional football, subject to satisfying any requirements for continuing community use.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-23709.pdf

The principal operational change will be MLSE’s management of winter operations of Lamport Stadium (currently Lamport Stadium is not used in the winter) after the winter bubble is relocated there from BMO Field.

That section 5(d) of the LOI be revised to include a provision to allow the City to, at its sole option, include in its review the potential use of Allan Lamport Stadium as a site for professional football, subject to satisfying any requirements for continuing community use.

This is fantastic, really appreciate the link and the info. I'll read the pdf a bit later, but thanks again.

8 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Don't think this actually indicates anything, but if they ended up in Markham, I don't think it'd do very well considering transit. I want a Toronto CPL team to be in North Toronto but remain on the subway line.

I'm down because I'd be driving regardless....?

Edited by Macksam

On 2017-05-12 at 10:44 PM, Gopherbashi said:

Things are just gonna get hella confusing if we have Toronto FC and AFC Toronto.

Really? I didn't think so myself, but sure, I can see what you mean.

Another name that had popped in my head last week was Toronto Athletic FC.

Similar vibe to Wigan, Charlton and Oldham.

Honestly, as long as it's not Blizzard or some other tacky mascot-like name, I'm down with it. But to differentiate itself from TFC, sure, we're presented with somewhat limited options.

Edited by ironcub14

35 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Really? I didn't think so myself, but sure, I can see what you mean.

Another name that had popped in my head last week was Toronto Athletic FC.

Similar vibe to Wigan, Charlton and Oldham.

Honestly, as long as it's not Blizzard or some other tacky mascot-like name, I'm down with it. But to differentiate itself from TFC, sure, we're presented with somewhat limited options.

If you dont try and copy a european club and go with a regular north american tacky mascot name the possibilities are endless. You already have the Leafs, Blue Jays and Raptors, how much worse could it be? 

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If you dont try and copy a european club and go with a regular north american tacky mascot name the possibilities are endless. You already have the Leafs, Blue Jays and Raptors, how much worse could it be? 

Please feel free to go for it :) Wow me if you can

My general feeling is that this club could be very successful if it focuses on being a true Toronto club, as opposed to the "Canada's team" branding TFC went with. In line with this, Toronto City would be a great name and blue and white would be obvious colour choices. I think vertical blue stripes on white are a great look, and a kit that features six stripes on the front would further symbolize the City of Toronto in a subtle way. Not to mention that one of Toronto's famous sons would surely approve of the look :)

n_deportivo_de_la_coruna_julian_de_guzma

If the club succeeds in being more representative of Toronto than Toronto FC, I think that would be far more compelling branding than something that makes it seem like "just another soccer club" alongside TFC, with nothing unique or fundamentally different to offer. As much as people seem to agree that CPL clubs shouldn't try to compete directly with MLS, we should try to do more to differentiate ourselves from other clubs in the same cities other than just being in a different league and having more Canadian players.

Edited by Zem

After attending the Detroit City FC home opener this past weekend my eyes have really been opened up to what is possible. While they don't face MLS competition in the same city, they do play at a much lower level than the CPL is aiming for, and the fans don't care! They have completely embraced their club because they feel a real connection, it's run for supporters by supporters. 

It's unlikely that that type of club would pass CSA scrutineering for the premier league, if they had a majority owner and still let the supporters genuinely affect club management I believe a Toronto CPL club could find its niche and thrive. TFC would be positioned as the glamour club, TCPL would be the pesky underdog. Hamburg v St. Pauli. 

10 minutes ago, Alex D said:

After attending the Detroit City FC home opener this past weekend my eyes have really been opened up to what is possible. While they don't face MLS competition in the same city, they do play at a much lower level than the CPL is aiming for, and the fans don't care! They have completely embraced their club because they feel a real connection, it's run for supporters by supporters. 

It's unlikely that that type of club would pass CSA scrutineering for the premier league, if they had a majority owner and still let the supporters genuinely affect club management I believe a Toronto CPL club could find its niche and thrive. TFC would be positioned as the glamour club, TCPL would be the pesky underdog. Hamburg v St. Pauli. 

Yep I think that's the key - making the connection between club and supporters. Keeping price reasonable, great atmosphere, cheap concessions and actually listening to their fans and what they want. 

12 hours ago, Zem said:

My general feeling is that this club could be very successful if it focuses on being a true Toronto club, as opposed to the "Canada's team" branding TFC went with. In line with this, Toronto City would be a great name and blue and white would be obvious colour choices. I think vertical blue stripes on white are a great look, and a kit that features six stripes on the front would further symbolize the City of Toronto in a subtle way. Not to mention that one of Toronto's famous sons would surely approve of the look :)

n_deportivo_de_la_coruna_julian_de_guzma

If the club succeeds in being more representative of Toronto than Toronto FC, I think that would be far more compelling branding than something that makes it seem like "just another soccer club" alongside TFC, with nothing unique or fundamentally different to offer. As much as people seem to agree that CPL clubs shouldn't try to compete directly with MLS, we should try to do more to differentiate ourselves from other clubs in the same cities other than just being in a different league and having more Canadian players.

Logo is based off the old Toronto City logo

Thoughts?

Totally agreed with you Alex. Journalists who've been following the tiers 2-4 closely for years, such as NASL, USL, PDL and NPSL, stress all the time that fan experience and the stadium experience is far more correlated to average attendance than whether a club is in tier 2, 3 or 4.

The fact that CPL will get tier 1 will just add more to the hype, but due to the presence of MLS, a CPL Toronto team would have to put fan and stadium experience above all else, and definitely play up the city rivalry. And a Voyageurs Cup derby? God damn that would be incredible.

I totally hear people suggesting Toronto City FC as a name, and it's an awesome name, and it's even got that history behind it from the 60's or something. It's just that, despite all the historical clubs with City FC already in their name, any new expansion clubs with City FC now immediately brings up the connotation of Abu Dhabi, MCFC, NYCFC and Melbourne, you know?

Tho I guess Detroit City FC doesn't bring up any of that thought lol.

Edited by ironcub14

Just a thought from a west coast transplanted Ontarian:

If the end goal is a thriving national league or pyramid of leagues, surely the GTA would have many clubs, as do major cities in other leagues around the world. To facilitate that end, and to sidestep confrontation with TFC, wouldn't it make sense to start with two CPL clubs (or more) that do not represent "Toronto" as a whole, but defined communities and/or pre-existing clubs in the GTA, like Mississauga or Brampton or Scarborough, etc. It's like how the first two people to line up at the buffet table or at a ticket window unwittingly establish the "rules" that everyone else will follow. A single Toronto CPL team sends the message that the city is already represented. Two would send the message to other communities that they can do it as well. I would love to see Ottawa, where I grew up, eventually represented by pro clubs at the top of existing clubs with roots, the way we see in other countries: Gloucester SC (formerly Hornets), Nepean Hotspur, Lynwood, Ottawa Internationals, etc.

I see risks as well with this idea, but I worry about a Canadian mentality of thinking too small, and too pessimistically. Pragmatic is good, but you still need to keep a long term vision in mind. 

What do you think?