Toronto CPL

madmonte

Sparked by an interesting discussion I was having earlier with people following the TFC Prez's comments, I gotta start a poll.  If there was a Toronto CPL team, how many games would you actually go to?  Let's assume there is like...8 teams doing a double schedule for 14 home games in total.

Please only answer if you would plan to be a Toronto fan (or area, maybe you envision it in Vaughan, I don't know).

Although it might not be indicated by my posts in the CPL topic, I would absolutely be a day one SSH.

As to how many games I would be at - dependent on location and whether or not they try to go H2H against the Jays and TFC.  Could honestly range anywhere from 25-100% based on those factors.  Went a bit optimistic and took the 10-13 one.

7 hours ago, matty said:

Depends where and how much tickets are and also i think there is gonna be a 20 game season

In that case 10 home games...but try to pick the best answer I guess...I'd assume tickets would be cheaper than TFC but yeah god knows where or even if it does exist.  This is pure theory right?

I have so many conflicting thoughts about a Toronto CPL team.

Naming it after an outside city (ie. Brampton, Vaughan, Mississauga) is going to make it seem minor-league.  Think if we did that everywhere - who would take Brampton vs. Laval seriously?  At the same time, naming it Toronto would make finding a fan niche even more difficult, especially if your stadium isn't in Toronto proper.

Voted 1-4, primarily because I split my time between Toronto and Hamilton currently, and my attendance would likely be split between Toronto and Hamilton in a similar way. 

As for TFC vs CPL, I think I'm going to drift towards becoming a season ticket holder for CPL and a playoff goer for TFC. You need your meat and potatoes, but it's ok to go for desert too

19 hours ago, dsqpr said:

TFC is a FRANCHISE, not a TEAM.

Sorry all you TFC fans out there but that is the reality.

MLS comissoner Garber actually said

“our teams are not clubs, they’re local businesses.”

http://nesn.com/2015/04/don-garber-mls-to-expand-beyond-24-teams-shun-promotion-relegtion/

Edited by CDNFootballer

7 hours ago, madmonte said:

Be honest with yourselves, CPL franchises may not start that way, but they'd eventually end up that way.  

Which is a good thing in the long term. Clubs run out of the goodness an owner's heart permanently are at risk of collapse with their main business going under or (morbidly) the owner passing away. Self-sustaining businesses won't 

On 2/18/2017 at 6:42 PM, CDNFootballer said:

MLS comissoner Garber actually said

“our teams are not clubs, they’re local businesses.”

http://nesn.com/2015/04/don-garber-mls-to-expand-beyond-24-teams-shun-promotion-relegtion/

Cheeta Translator;

"We want to call ourselves a world class league without bothering with a merit based structure.  The pay-to-play model is a tried and tested North American tradition."

Not judging.  Just saying.

I voted for "1-4. I'm a fan, but for extraneous reasons I can't get to many games." My reason being having a young family. If the games were played close enough to me, and late enough that I wouldn't be sacrificing time from my kids (because they would be in bed) then that number would likely grow a lot.

I would still be a TFC fan, but first and foremost I would be a TCPL fan... at least until they do TFC one worse and start a season 0-10.

On 2/24/2017 at 3:06 AM, TFC07 said:

It all depends where this team plays in GTA if I support them or not.  Not only that, but also how ambitious this Toronto team will be compare to other clubs in CPL and Canadian MLS.  

the whole idea of this thing is to be local.  

If TFC is still the closest stadium to you, TFC should be your club, regardless of your feelings towards CPL.

If the CPL club is closer then there you go.  Same will go for the Van and Mtl clubs.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

What kind of colour scheme do people think would work. I personally think a soccer version of the Flyers Stadium Series uniform would be awesome. Black accented by orange = :wub:

thumb.jpg

Gotta be blue IMO. Red vs blue build the TFC rivalry in a positive way, it's Toronto's classic colour, etc.