Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

I want expand my CanCon prediction and make it bolder: Nana, Tissot, Ouimette, Bekker, Beckie, Straith, M Trafford, Dixon, Jakovic, de Jong, Morgan, Babouli, Grey, Pridham, Smits, D Haber, Porter, Pasher, Roberts and Lefevre to all be in CPL if it's starting next year. I think they gut the NASL of most Canadians and a lot of olderish USL guys will come over to a stable gig. They'll also go after some MLS guys hard if they think there's a chance.

I don't think anyone I listed there would cost a crazy amount and I'd some would be cool with a $35k contract, insurance and housing covered.

For the younger guys and maybe the L1O/PSLQ players they take like $25k and some kind of education coverage

Edited by matty

5 hours ago, matty said:

I want expand my CanCon prediction and make it bolder: Nana, Tissot, Ouimette, Bekker, Beckie, Straith, M Trafford, Dixon, Jakovic, de Jong, Morgan, Babouli, Grey, Pridham, Smits, D Haber, Porter, Pasher, Roberts and Lefevre to all be in CPL if it's starting next year. I think they gut the NASL of most Canadians and a lot of olderish USL guys will come over to a stable gig. They'll also go after some MLS guys hard if they think there's a chance.

I don't think anyone I listed there would cost a crazy amount and I'd some would be cool with a $35k contract, insurance and housing covered.

For the younger guys and maybe the L1O/PSLQ players they take like $25k and some kind of education coverage

I agree with you that the main CanCon players will be made up of the NASL and USL guys. I can't help but hope that a couple clubs would be able to steal guys like Tosaint Ricketts or Tesho Akindele from the MLS. They aren't huge names but at least Ricketts has a great resume with the national team. Plus, Ricketts is 29 and a non-regular sub for TFC. He could be a star in the CPL. Unfortunately, I doubt Ricketts would leave unless he got more than the 200k that he is getting right now. He may also want to win the MLS cup which could be a problem if TFC don't win it this year.

It might be hard to entice players like Ricketts or Osorio based on salary alone, but since those two are particularly patriotic -- I wonder if some top tier CanMNT pool players like them could be wooed with a stake in the future success of the league, like a % ownership deal or future rights to a franchise, etc. If the league can't compete in terms of immediate reward, sell them on the long-term project and the possibility of employment or earnings post-career. 

Would that be an option under the proposed Canpl ownership structure?  I hope so. It would give an extra incentive for vets to come home and work hard to make the league a success. 

Edited by shorty

Agree with dspqr that even if some MNT fringe or otherwise come back, there will be a lot of unknown names. But I also remember being a youth player in the 80s when the Intrepid were formed in Ottawa and when we started to see kids we played with and against move up it was exciting and motivating. Also remember seeing players like Alex Bunbury, etc in their early days and I agree it is exciting to think we might get to see future International players 10 yards away at a pop-up stadium in places like Victoria, Waterloo or Moncton. 

2 minutes ago, shorty said:

It might be hard to entice players like Ricketts or Osorio based on salary alone, but since those two are particularly patriotic -- I wonder if some top tier CanMNT pool players like them could be wooed with a stake in the future success of the league, like a % ownership deal or future rights to a franchise, etc. If the league can't compete in terms of immediate reward, sell them on the long-term project and the possibility of employment or earnings post-career. 

Would that be an option under the proposed Canpl ownership structure?  I hope so. It would give an extra incentive for vets to come home and work hard to make the league a success. 

I like that idea - and can see the attraction from both a player and investor perspective. 

For players it would be an added enticement and the potential for long term pay-off (recognizing the challenges of leveraging USL/NASL/MLS-journeyman level of pay into long term $$ sustainability).

For owners it could be a strong lever to entice players without costing anything up front when start up costs seem high while long term outcomes are unknown.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I like that idea - and can see the attraction from both a player and investor perspective. 

For players it would be an added enticement and the potential for long term pay-off (recognizing the challenges of leveraging USL/NASL/MLS-journeyman level of pay into long term $$ sustainability).

For owners it could be a strong lever to entice players without costing anything up front when start up costs seem high while long term outcomes are unknown.

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks!

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know this thread is sort of a proxy, but is there a list somewhere that shows the Canadian players (I guess CMNT-eligible since many wouldn't be capped) that play in USL or NASL?

Here is an amazing resource. http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2015/CANMNTPlayerPool.aspx

Scroll down to USA for what you are looking for. There is also a domestic tab for Canadian based teams.

On 2017/05/10 at 10:06 PM, dsqpr said:

I expect to watch matches with 22 players I have never heard of. But the previous Canadian league developed some fantastic players and I expect the same thing to happen this time around...

The smaller cities are the obvious niche for this assuming the three MLS teams hoover up most of the top prospects in the three major metropolitan areas. Jason Devos was in the right place at the right time when the London Lasers were formed in 1990. Without that would he even have had a pro level career and ever got anywhere near the CMNT? I doubt it very much. Arguably both the Whitecaps and TFC already have operations up and running in London to identify players like him again and funnel them into residency programs, but I don't think anything is happening in Halifax yet for the next Ante Jazic and there only so many players that can play on two USL teams. I'm also somewhat skeptical as to what extent kids from affiliated clubs in the smaller cities like FC London will really get the chance to displace youth players coaching staffs in the three big cities will have developed themselves. 

Would be interested in the source, since he has officially retired from footy "due to injury" (wikipedia).

Regardless, this sounds like a terrible idea.  Attention grabbing retirees with chronic injury issues should not be the kind of overseas players we target - especially if it involves anything like a DP arrangement.  Before retirement his clubs got progressively smaller, and the last second last sentence on hiw wiki page states the following:

In October 2015, Cissé was one of four people arrested in France over an alleged attempt to blackmail an international footballer in a sex tape extortion plot.

In short, there is nothing redeeming whatsoever about the idea of signing this guy IMO.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:28 AM, shorty said:

Agree with dspqr that even if some MNT fringe or otherwise come back, there will be a lot of unknown names. But I also remember being a youth player in the 80s when the Intrepid were formed in Ottawa and when we started to see kids we played with and against move up it was exciting and motivating. Also remember seeing players like Alex Bunbury, etc in their early days and I agree it is exciting to think we might get to see future International players 10 yards away at a pop-up stadium in places like Victoria, Waterloo or Moncton. 

this is exactly what I expect too. 

My assumption is each season will uncover 1 gem that moves immediately to MLS or possibly Europe (likely age 20-22). In addition every year or two someone will move to a lower league in Europe, that eventually becomes a long-time senior national team player. On top of this, we will have the odd team do well in the Concacaf champs league (maybe 1 makes knockout stages once every 10ish years?).

Some u18 age players will move up to a starting role, and then be moved into MLS reserve teams then into MLS first teams in this country - and that, to me, would also be an additional "discovered gem" not unlike mentioned above.

More importantly - the CPL will develop the youth system in this country simply by virtue of the youth clubs having a deeper understanding of the required standards the players they develop need to reach.

Don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole, but I don't see movement from CPL first team to an MLS reserve squad being a common or desirable thing.  Nor, for that matter, would it be for a 20-22 yr old moving immediately to MLS as soon as he displays that requisite gem-like quality.  Those kinds of dynamics would be predicated on a very specific league model for CPL that many here would not support.

I made a tweet at SEA letting them know I want them to sign Masta Kacher... They've been very interacttive on twitter but have chosen to ignore me, probably in the interest of not commiting obvious tampering... Masta Kacher however has favorited the tweet.. Probably nothing, but atleast he knows Halifax should have a team.

11 hours ago, BradMack said:

I made a tweet at SEA letting them know I want them to sign Masta Kacher... They've been very interacttive on twitter but have chosen to ignore me, probably in the interest of not commiting obvious tampering... Masta Kacher however has favorited the tweet.. Probably nothing, but atleast he knows Halifax should have a team.

Yes, and I think right now their goal is to build their stadium before thinking of signing players. 

Yeah, I'm guessing we will hear other details about teams before player signings. Little things like

1. The team exists

2. They have a place or a planned place to play

3. They know what year the team is going to begin play

4. They have a guy (GM, or maybe head coach) whose job is to sign players

SPN Soccer Today interviewed Paul Beirne. He was asked what salary's would look like. All he said is that he expects all the players to make a full living wage from the league. He also seemed to talk about reserve players wearily as if they might not make a full wage. He did not say that outright though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0um7dtoDHJg