Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8045599-hamilton-team-in-new-canadian-premier-league-which-starts-in-2019/#.WlZE39-SlLA.twitter

The article states average salaries of $40-$60, with possible players reaching triple figures. Seems like a good place for a Russel Tiebert and some of those other fringe MLS guys. I imagine some of the teams will want a “big” Canadian for a captain or “star” player. Probably could see guys like Ricketts ending their career in the CPL. 

If i am not mistaken this budget is in the higher end of NASL and USL. It is a great place to start in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8045599-hamilton-team-in-new-canadian-premier-league-which-starts-in-2019/#.WlZE39-SlLA.twitter

The article states average salaries of $40-$60, with possible players reaching triple figures. Seems like a good place for a Russel Tiebert and some of those other fringe MLS guys. I imagine some of the teams will want a “big” Canadian for a captain or “star” player. Probably could see guys like Ricketts ending their career in the CPL. 

If i am not mistaken this budget is in the higher end of NASL and USL. It is a great place to start in my opinion.

That seems pretty in line with the $1.5 m cap that's been floated around here. Seems they're committed to spending a decent amount of coin on players. Great pay day for some fringe MLS players and maybe central or south American journeymen.

2 hours ago, TFC07 said:

I feel like a lot of TFC 2 players will sign with CPL clubs.   Also, I feel like someone like Ashton Morgan and Jordan Hamilton will leave TFC to join a CPL club.  

I would be so happy to see Ashtone and Jordan go to CPL and play regularly. Jordan Hamilton in particular is my number 1 player I want to see signed by a CPL team.

With Ottawa signing Attakora and Tissot do you guys think that level of player is going to end up in CPL year one??  Ottawa might have a huge leg up on the other squads if they take, Dixon, Irving, Attakora, Tissot, Haworth and Eddie Edward into year one.  

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I would be so happy to see Ashtone and Jordan go to CPL and play regularly. Jordan Hamilton in particular is my number 1 player I want to see signed by a CPL team.

Exactly!!! I think it will do them just well and give them the chance to resurrect their careers (in Ashtone's) case and for Jordan Hamilton to prove his worth and real potential... As it seems he is a middle-rated forward in our player pool... It may come at the expense of leaving their hometown teams, but reality is that at this particular moment there is no place for them whatsoever to get regular playing time and show their values... Who knows if a GTA team is added into CANPL since year 1, they can stay at home and play for that club wherever it may end up, which I'm sure would be an added bonus for them... But ultimately it doesn't matter where they wind up, as long as they are given the right opportunities to display their skills and be important contributors to their squads... As much as aI hate to say their potential is being wasted at this time at TFC, particularly Hamilton who is still at a good age since he is a 96

13 hours ago, toontownman said:

Would expect some loans from mls club's. Even though they have affiliates and second teams I think CPL will offer a different experience for players to develop. 

I said this a while back, but I wouldn't be surprised if CMLS II teams are the foundation for the second CPL division but aren't allowed to be promoted. CMLS teams win because their kids will be competing in meaningful games, CPL wins because they have 3 stable teams who are owned by deeeeep pockets.

1 hour ago, Oranje said:

I said this a while back, but I wouldn't be surprised if CMLS II teams are the foundation for the second CPL division but aren't allowed to be promoted. CMLS teams win because their kids will be competing in meaningful games, CPL wins because they have 3 1 stable(?) teams who are owned by deeeeep pockets.

FYP

1 hour ago, Oranje said:

I said this a while back, but I wouldn't be surprised if CMLS II teams are the foundation for the second CPL division but aren't allowed to be promoted. CMLS teams win because their kids will be competing in meaningful games, CPL wins because they have 3 stable teams who are owned by deeeeep pockets.

I'd put TFC II in CPL 3. Not even USL wants to keep those teams around, why should we?

4 minutes ago, matty said:

Cause it's part of Canadian development? USL doesn't want them cause they want out of Canada. Why the hate for TFC2 in a Canadian based developmental league?

No, USL doesn't want MLS B Teams in USL D2. That's what I meant.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No, USL doesn't want MLS B Teams in USL D2. That's what I meant.

Oh sorry I thought we were more on the Canadian end. Still I think if a new second division is formed in Canada, unless you actually have pro/rel (which is unlikely), I don't see issue with TFC2 there.

Anyways let's not jam this thread with this stuff anymore.

Edited by matty

1 minute ago, matty said:

Oh sorry I thought we were more on the Canadian end. Still I think if a new second division is formed in Canada, unless you actually have pro/rel (which is unlikely), I don't see issue with TFC2 there.

Perhaps... will have to see CPL vision for D2 in 10 years if they want just a current USL type D2 or emulate the Championship on a lower scale.

USL D2 Type: TFC II, most of CPL B teams coexisting with other teams from smaller markets. B Teams wouldn't promote

Replicating Championship: TFC II and CPL B Teams would go to Tier 3 while this tier would be for markets like Kelowna, Kingston, Lethbridge, Sherbrooke, cities around the big metro areas (Laval, Longueuil, Scarborough, Barrie, Oshawa etc..).

But we're minimum 10 years away from that. We'll have to talk about it in the 2030s lol

15 minutes ago, matty said:

Are you saying there's only 1 owner with deeeeeep pockets or they only need 1 owner with deep pockets to have more than CMLS 2?

I'm saying 2 of the 3 MLS II teams folded already, so there is only 1 left. And the question mark after the "stable" part because if 2 out of 3 can fold that quickly, and TFC II hasn't exactly been getting big crowds, I question if TFC II is actually all that stable. They might be, but they might not be.

It is however possible that if/when we have a 2nd division in Canada that the Canadian MLS teams will have "MLS2" teams again and they might even have enough money with the parent club that they are stable, but I went more with the state of things today rather than speculate on the long term future of MLS 2 teams.

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm saying 2 of the 3 MLS II teams folded already, so there is only 1 left. And the question mark after the "stable" part because if 2 out of 3 can fold that quickly, and TFC II hasn't exactly been getting big crowds, I question if TFC II is actually all that stable. They might be, but they might not be.

It is however possible that if/when we have a 2nd division in Canada that the Canadian MLS teams will have "MLS2" teams again and they might even have enough money with the parent club that they are stable, but I went more with the state of things today rather than speculate on the long term future of MLS 2 teams.

Sorry, I meant the parent clubs owners have deep pockets and are stable. You're right, I am speculating that that'd in turn mean the II teams would be stable by association.

31 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Not that I expect him possibly playing in the league for a couple of years but the shout out to the league from Tosain was nice.

According to this:

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/25/toronto-fc-player-salaries-for-2017/

He made $193k US at TFC. Would he consider $200kCAD to start in CPL and be a star in the league? Good question

I'm interested to see if there is some kind of DP/marquee player mechanism. There needs to be something to get more fans interested in CPL.

Considering NASL/USL have been able to get players like Raul, Drogba, Joe Cole, I think it'd be good for CPL to have something to get these kind of players as well. Certainly seems to work for Indian Super League

5 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I'm interested to see if there is some kind of DP/marquee player mechanism. There needs to be something to get more fans interested in CPL.

Considering NASL/USL have been able to get players like Raul, Drogba, Joe Cole, I think it'd be good for CPL to have something to get these kind of players as well. Certainly seems to work for Indian Super League

Those leagues got those players on the backs of ownership stakes and/or MLS DP level contracts. I don't think that's going to happen in CPL.

Edited by harrycoyster