Canadian Premier League

ted

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's the way it reads to me. A total of 12 cities was mentioned previously around Christmas time and that makes it a reasonable assumption. The only ones we know about for sure are Halifax and K/W, so it begs the question of whether the likes of TFC 2 and the Ottawa Fury are being included to pad the stats a bit.

As Gordon said, it has been mentioned in an article or two (Steve Milton I believe) that Hamilton and Winnipeg are included in the 10 cities. It definitely was ambiguous before he mentioned that, so hopefully he has that on good information, and not just misunderstanding the original, ambiguous wording.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, matty said:

I was more focused on him being labelled the team's head. Fully agree with you though.

So McGrane is more involved than simply being some adviser. A lot questioned how much he actually knew and ragged on him for knowing nothing or falsifying info. And now BOOM he's maybe the director of soccer operations for Hamilton or something.

Typo for excerpt

Dino Rossi on the two solitudes pod mentioned that McGrane was one of the very first guys to start actually getting this thing off the ground. He actually got a shout out at the Whistler meeting from Montagliani.

So, the Regina game/possible test match got me into thinking. BBTB wondered why Winnipeg would be joining when other CFL teams are not yet. The answer could be that Winnipeg has shown some soccer interest with the Women's World Cup games, and I believe they also hosted a friendly with the USWNT as well with great attendance.

Hamilton has had a friendly or two as well (again, women's soccer) and also the Pan Am football tournament. I don't recall what the attendance was like for the Pan Am games, but it could be that these cities have had their test matches already. The other places to have games in that sort of timeline are Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Moncton. Obviously those first 5 already have pro teams, so Moncton is the only one that has had test matches and haven't been announced as having a pro team.

I'm not trying to suggest this could be a league wide policy, but perhaps we will see Calgary announce a friendly in the near future. That would be exciting.

He was talking about a Canadian Premier League using that exact terminology years ago on podcasts, so that is accurate, and it has been no secret that he is one of the main movers and shakers in a Hamilton context. Not sure what matty's talking about in the text you quoted. If McGrane deserves criticism it would be for getting carried away emotionally with things like claiming on the Hamilton news clip that in seven years a soccer team playing at Tim Horton Field could be as big as TFC in MLS. Does anyone seriously believe that?

43 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's the way it reads to me. A total of 12 cities was mentioned previously around Christmas time and that makes it a reasonable assumption. The only ones we know about for sure of the remaining 10 are Halifax and K/W, so it begs the question of whether the likes of TFC 2 and the Ottawa Fury are being included to pad the stats a bit.

On the riderfans.com forum, a Saskatoon member says that some of the people behind the wildly successful lacrosse team are looking at the CPL for Saskatoon.  Have not seen this anywhere else though.

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

That's probably just hubris. 

I think it's a bit more than just hubris. No one is going to downplay their own product, presenting it in the best possible light (especially in the face of reflexive cynicism and criticism from competitors) is just good business

That said, with my limited interaction with McGrane....probably more than a pinch of hubris too ;)

1 minute ago, Jason said:

On the riderfans.com forum, a Saskatoon member says that some of the people behind the wildly successful lacrosse team are looking at the CPL for Saskatoon.  Have not seen this anywhere else though.

Tallies with the Moncton newspaper story that mentioned Saskatoon rather than Regina in a list of 8 that also included Victoria, Calgary, Winnipeg, London, Hamilton, Ottawa and Halifax, which would be the only other mention I am aware of.

17 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Montopoli did not say as early as 2018. When asked about the V-cup he said that the league will join most likely in 2019. He referred to League 1 and PLSQ winners as joining in 2018. Then CPL joining the year after and possibly doubling the number of teams involved. 

@Benjamin Massey, is that you?

1 hour ago, matty said:

Twitter Notes Day 3: The Quillan Roberts is waiting for CPL rumours might be right as he is now following the league, Nick "Give Me a Coach Job" Dasovic is following and lots of universities are

We'll be having Quillan on an upcoming Sea to Sea episode (though hoping as more of a guest host to join the discussion instead of an interview), so we'll get his perspective on developments

Rob Gale was just on TSN 1290 radio in Winnipeg being interviewed, but I only caught the last few seconds as I was getting into my car. They were talking about CanPL and the upcoming WNT game in June. A podcast should be up on the TSN1290 web page soon enough. The interview was just before 3:00 pm Central.

I'll post a link if I find it. Edit - Starts at 27:35 minute mark.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/the-warmup-may-9-2017-1.747091

Edit- In the meantime, here is a link to interview yesterday with Bobby McMahon (transplanted Winnipegger) about CanPL also from the local TSN radio station.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/mcmahon-lack-of-opportunity-for-canadians-in-mls-led-to-canadian-premier-league-1.746163

16 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Am I the only one that would like to see CPL have it's own forum on this website? This single thread is getting pretty ridiculous in size and content.

Wouldn't that just transplant the same tired argument this thread is having to another site?

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Wouldn't that just transplant the same tired argument this thread is having to another site?

I'm generally with him on this. There's enough varied topics going on that you could get more organized discussion out of an entire forum. Even if the discussion content ends up the same, it's easier to track.

Having said that, we're pretty much already doing that with the "Canadian teams and leagues" forum and we're all reverting here anyways so it could go both ways.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

He was talking about a Canadian Premier League using that exact terminology years ago on podcasts, so that is accurate, and it has been no secret that he is one of the main movers and shakers in a Hamilton context. Not sure what matty's talking about in the text you quoted. If McGrane deserves criticism it would be for getting carried away emotionally with things like claiming on the Hamilton news clip that in seven years a soccer team playing at Tim Horton Field could be as big as TFC in MLS. Does anyone seriously believe that?

It certainly suggests there isn't an overall cohesive expectation yet as to what the league will be when, to contrast these kinds of comments, you also have the K-W folks talking about getting enough support in order to survive at 5000 fans a game and Halifax hoping for a stadium of a similar capacity.

Granted, it's not  unprecedented for a league to have teams which dominate in terms of operating budget and attendance  (as well as success on the field, maybe Hamilton will become Celtic & Winnipeg the Rangers of the CPL with KW & Halifax the equivalent of Aberdeen and Motherwell. But somehow I don't think league disparity of the SPL variety is really what the CSA are looking for.

30 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Am I the only one that would like to see CPL have it's own forum on this website? This single thread is getting pretty ridiculous in size and content.

The forum categories need an overhaul at some point - we've got one forum for MLS, one forum for FC Edmonton, and one forum for everything else.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

The forum categories need an overhaul at some point - we've got one forum for MLS, one forum for FC Edmonton, and one forum for everything else.

As an Edmontontonian, I don't see anything wrong with this. ;)

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There has been a movement that questioned his cred on this story. Some folks here and on Reddit.

Also I think they could start pulling strong numbers (maybe 15k) if there's TV and the soccer has cred but I think he's just boosting

6 minutes ago, matty said:

There has been a movement that questioned his cred on this story. Some folks here and on Reddit.

Also I think they could start pulling strong numbers (maybe 15k) if there's TV and the soccer has cred but I think he's just boosting

Without knowing the amount of financial support and backing through TV, media partners etc. its hard to tell where teams might be in 7 years...BUT as for being on the same level as TFC, unless the league have Chinese League type investment that is lofty goal to put it lightly. All rumored salary caps and finances put the league slightly above USL standards. It will take decades and a much bigger financial boom to bridge the gap MLS has on the CPL, IMO. 

*Edit - Maybe he really meant Hamilton could be on the same level as TFC II.

I think it makes sense to hold off the forum so most conversation can stay in one super thread.

At least til the stage when teams start actually developing, actually existing/hiring staff..etc etc

8 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Without knowing the amount of financial support and backing through TV, media partners etc. its hard to tell where teams might be in 7 years...BUT as for being on the same level as TFC, unless the league have Chinese League type investment that is lofty goal to put it lightly. All rumored salary caps and finances put the league slightly above USL standards. It will take decades and a much bigger financial boom to bridge the gap MLS has on the CPL, IMO. 

*Edit - Maybe he really meant Hamilton could be on the same level as TFC II.

Based on the salary numbers from Goff (which was correlated by a Q&A from a USL player), USL salaries are 2000 to 3000 per month in season, nothing in the off season. That's 12k to 18k USD per year

CPL is (apparently) talking 1.5M. Across 25 roster spots that's 60k CDN (44k USD). So more like 2 to 4 times higher than USL. 

Obviously there are outliers, Cincinnati leads the league with a whipping 2 million + wage bill, but that's also a team drawing an order of magnitude higher in attendance and trying to prove they are MLS ready

That doesn't disprove or contradict your overall point, just pointing it out

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It always comes down to $$$. If Bob Young wants to buy players like Giovinco and Bradley, who am I to judge?

Actually, you raise a good point, anyone thinks MLSE will have the balls to bid?:P

The Vocal Minority Podcast just put out a new podcast. Kristen Knowles said a source has told them that it is very unlikely that Jonathon Osorio will be renewed by TFC (his contract is structured such that his next deal would come with a hefty automatic raise and TFC feels that Chapman could step up), and that Hamilton is interested in making a hard push to make him their first signing 

So... CPL has its first signing rumour. Sign of the times! 

Edit: 39 minutes in, episode 186

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The Vocal Minority Podcast just put out a new podcast. Kristen Knowles said a source has told them that it is very unlikely that Jonathon Osorio will be renewed by TFC (his contract is structured such that his next deal would come with a hefty automatic raise and TFC feels that Chapman could step up), and that Hamilton is interested in making a hard push to make him their first signing 

So... CPL has its first signing rumour. Sign of the times! 

When it gets in high gear, CPL transfer speculation will crash the servers on this site.

Archived