Canadian Premier League

ted

16 minutes ago, Rheo said:

-Only mention of FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury was during VCUP format speculation is that they're probably not joining anytime soon

Late last year he appeared to be adamant that the Ottawa Fury would be required to join as part of the USL sanctioning deal with the CSA, so how seriously can you take his assertions on some of these other matters? If Paul Beirne is being quoted in a newspaper article that K/W United and their fans will do certain things in a CPL context, I think you have to take that very seriously in terms of who is likely to be joining the fray in the not too distant future.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only thought so far from the Rollins pod is the TV thing kind of surprised me because for the longest time I figured someone would of been in on the ground floor (usually TSN for me with their ties to the CFL and CSA).  But like he said in the pod it's a different world today in the sports media market, just ask the folks at ESPN, than it was when I first assumed TSN would be involved.  Also he pointed out how many of us stream games now anyways.  Disappointing but when I think more about it not surprising.

Going to be fun and interesting though with the more information we get.

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

My only thought so far from the Rollins pod is the TV thing kind of surprised me because for the longest time I figured someone would of been in on the ground floor (usually TSN for me with their ties to the CFL and CSA).  But like he said in the pod it's a different world today in the sports media market, just ask the folks at ESPN, than it was when I first assumed TSN would be involved.  Also he pointed out how many of us stream games now anyways.  Disappointing but when I think more about it not surprising.

Going to be fun and interesting though with the more information we get.

That is a bit odd, considering the amount of shit content on our mainstream sports channels.  Darts, plays of the month reruns, endlessly cyclical sports news/highlights shows etc (I left out poker because I actually like watching it) - I find it hard to believe that a properly advertised domestic league couldn't build to comparable numbers of viewers.  Production costs would involve higher overall expenditures, but if they negotiated a sufficiently long term option on exclusive league rights with built in cost controls, it could be worth a chance.  You gotta buy a ticket to win...  

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Late last year he appeared to be adamant that the Ottawa Fury would be required to join as part of the USL sanctioning deal with the CSA, so how seriously can you take his assertions on some of these other matters? If Paul Beirne is being quoted in a newspaper article that K/W United and their fans will do certain things in a CPL context, I think you have to take that very seriously in terms of who is likely to be joining the fray in the not too distant future.

For Edmonton/Ottawa, as I said it wasn't specifically referenced.  It was a quick remark in talking on the VCup format when the league is up and running.  I might of misheard/misinterpreted it while trying to work and recap it at the same time, so please don't take what I said and blast him for it. Unfortunately I deleted it after listening so I can't check it out again until later.  I apologize for confusion.

As for the teams at launch, he didn't list Halifax either, doesn't mean they aren't in the game.  

I don't know what your issue with him is, seems somewhat personal.  Don't know, don't care honestly People asked questions and he speculated.  Just like you do on here.  Just he puts his name and face in front of his speculation.

I suspect it all depends on whether they would be willing to pay for TV access where cable channels are concerned. Going back to the original CSL era the absence of cameras at most games meant that all you would hear in a city like London on CFPL Channel 10 would often tend to be something like "London Lasers losers, they lost again tonight 3-0 to <insert the blank> at JW Little stadium". I guess the webstreams and clips USL teams put out on youtube are a way of avoiding being relegated to that token level of coverage.

Oh, and just an off-topic plug for the second leg of the V-Cup Ottawa-Edmonton game tonight.  Only available via streaming AFAIK.  And there is the tenuous link to the current CPL discussion topic.  Because it may also only be streamed.  And may involve these two teams.  At some point.

Anyway, tune in.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That may still be the case. For the CSA to demand that they jump into the CPL immediately doesn't really strike me as a reasonable option. They just jumped out of one unstable league into something a bit more solid, so I can understand OSEG wanting to wait until the CPL has proven itself a bit more. Who's to say that the USL sanctioning wasn't conditional on a delayed entry into CPL?

And for the record, noting that Rollins may have been wrong on this before doesn't preclude us from taking seriously his other assertions on these matters. The weather man isn't always right, but he still knows what he's talking about.  

54 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I think it would be best that guys like Osorio sacrifice the European dream and join the CPL. A sacrifice, if some view it like that, our current journeyman need to make for the successful establishment of this league. I know it may arguably make our national team weaker in the short term with our guys playing in a less competitive league, but the long term benefit vastly outweighs that.

Jonathan Osorio is currently earning a base salary of $191,763 with the Toronto FC, with a guaranteed salary of $200,237.

i think if Hamilton offers 300k-500k/ a year he could join 

2 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't think any of these clubs should be paying anyone $300-500k unless that person can really sell tickets.

I think once you get past the feel-good nationalism, what will sell tickets is a high level on-field product.  That will require a reasonable average level of skill/play throughout the squad.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Oh, and just an off-topic plug for the second leg of the V-Cup Ottawa-Edmonton game tonight.  Only available via streaming AFAIK.  And there is the tenuous link to the current CPL discussion topic.  Because it may also only be streamed.  And may involve these two teams.  At some point.

Anyway, tune in.

I feel sad, because I have tickets to this and was super excited for my first soccer game live.

Then Oilers game 7 happened to be on the same day. I just cannot physically justify missing that.

Suppose I'll have to hope they can beat Ottawa and give me another chance to go next round. :(

54 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think once you get past the feel-good nationalism, what will sell tickets is a high level on-field product.  That will require a reasonable average level of skill/play throughout the squad.

The third part of this must be the soccer community we haven't yet built.   I would argue it's the most important part. 

As soon as you talk about a 'high level product'  you are shifting people from being supporters to consumers. 

If we go the consumer route, it will be nay impossible to compete. 

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Obviously not. He said "with time," and being on par with TFC 2 wouldn't take anytime at all. It's possible he meant that in stadium support can be on par with TFC in time, which within a few years I can definitely see the team packing Tim Hortons Field, especially considering V Cup games with TFC should definitely help with those most likely being sell outs. That's essentially where fan retention has to occur.

Just to clarify I was joking with that statement :P    If CPL clubs aren't exceeding general USL standards in half that time, given the 'rumored' money involved, the league would be failing imo. 

Community outreach and marketing will be key to connect fans to the club but what is offered as part of the match day experience will be key to retention. Part of the reason the "Rush" sold out in Edmonton and now Saskatoon is due to the atmosphere and game experience - people didn't go as Lacrosse fans but there are many now. Sure it is a basic necessity to have a decent on pitch product but making each game an event that people want to come to bring friends/family and talk about after they leave is essential. The clubs have to be smart with this. 

TV and Sponsorship will be a big marker to how seriously fans take the league from the outside too.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Soccer Today yesterday with Rollins and Laramee was a CPL Q&A show.  

https://sportspodcastingnetwork.com/2017/05/09/soccer-today-on-spn-may-9th-2017-canadian-premier-league-mailbag-special/

Some stuff from Rollins

-Expects Canadian quota to be lower than expected (3-4 per team but expects teams to have 10-11 total per team due to the nature)

-Asked about TV contract and said it will be difficult for them to get one.  Wouldn't be surprised if it only online (Ie Twitter, Facebook, YouTube) at launch.  Said it will be hard to get money from TV until they're proven and the changing nature of sports media properties.

The TV contract bit is not too surprising, if a bit disappointing - but the Canadian quota only being 3 to 4 players (ie. no better than MLS) is massively disappointing IMO if that turns out to be true. I hope, along with all this speculation about Osorio (that people seem to be treating as gospel even though it's an unconfirmed rumour of what could happen) that this does not turn out to be the case. The roster quota needs to be much higher than that, otherwise we'll likely be developing players for our concacaf rivals as much as we are our own.

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Also to get the newer fans to soccer, a well known name( 30 + yr. old,to keep cost down) probably would be a good idea to bring interest and curiosity to the new league,at least the first few years.

I would say no. 

No one is going to come to these games because of single player.  If we rely on it, we are going the consumer route and that is not what we want.

The biggest thing we can do to get people to the game is to stop being assholes to people.   This forum is going to get A LOT of new people over the next year, and our approach has to change.   There is way too much negativity. 

Edit:  Negativity != Criticism. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is a bit odd, considering the amount of shit content on our mainstream sports channels.  Darts, plays of the month reruns, endlessly cyclical sports news/highlights shows etc (I left out poker because I actually like watching it) - I find it hard to believe that a properly advertised domestic league couldn't build to comparable numbers of viewers.  Production costs would involve higher overall expenditures, but if they negotiated a sufficiently long term option on exclusive league rights with built in cost controls, it could be worth a chance.  You gotta buy a ticket to win...  

Yes, but until the playoffs last year, the ratings for MLS games have been mediocre enough that it does not surprise me to hear that they don't expect to get a great contract in that regard.

I was expecting at most a revival of the old "TSN game of the week" that the CSL used to have, to be honest (not necessarily on TSN) and would be happy for that to start with.

10 minutes ago, admin said:

The third part of this must be soccer community we haven't yet built.   I would argue it's the most important part. 

As soon as you talk about a 'high level product'  you are shifting people from being supporters to consumers. 

If we go the consumer route, it will be nay impossible to compete. 

I fear that the league is already creating a consumer mentality, in the way they've gone about everything to date. I truly hope I'm wrong though, as I agree with your above comment.  

Just now, C2SKI said:

I fear that the league is already creating a consumer mentality, in the way they've gone about everything to date. I truly hope I'm wrong though, as I agree with your above comment.  

There is no other way to approach it at this point. 

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

but the Canadian quota only being 3 to 4 players (ie. no better than MLS) is massively disappointing 

As I said to BBTB I was working and trying to take notes at the same time so I might of misheard/misinterpreted the number.  I did rewind it a few times though as I originally thought he meant 3-4 starters but then he said the 10-11 realistically on a team anyways that I changed it to roster as a whole.  So that's my impression of what he said and honestly it could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

I would say no. 

No one is going to come to these games because of single player.  If we rely on it, we are going the consumer route and that is not what we want.

The biggest thing we can do to get people to the game is to stop being assholes to people.   This forum is going to get A LOT of new people over the next year, and our approach has to change.   There is way too much negativity. 

Edit:  Negativity != Criticism. 

I feel like posting the Team America actors guild speech. 

Having a Marquee player will absolutely create buzz, get people talking and bring some people to the game. Likewise depending on which players are coming to town with visiting teams you might see people come to check it out. I'd agree about not being reliant on it though, What happens when said player disappoints, is injured etc.

Keeping bums in seats after trying it is the harder problem to try and counteract. Immersing the brand and product into the community to be something the community is proud of and wants to help grow will be that challenge. It will start with the goal of creating synergy with all youth and adult soccer programs, schools and local businesses and growing outwards to the non soccer community. In a sense that is preaching to the converted but still important to get them invested to get their friends and family interested. 

Archived