Canadian Premier League

ted

Just now, Levi Oakey said:

Twitter live streams actually do extremely well. The Inaugration had 6.8 million viewers. The NFL live streams drew more than average MLS games. http://marketingland.com/twitters-nfl-streams-averaged-265800-per-minute-viewers-across-10-games-204824

Landscape is changing. Would be interesting if we could sell the rights to Twitter and then they could flip them to traditional TV. Right now it goes the other way around.

That's true. I kinda loop the Twitter streams in with the Netflix streaming in my mind as I think those two styles are the future 'replacement' for cable style television but are both far from a finished product. (or in Netfilx's case, not even a begun product)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rheo said:

Traditionally yes but who know for how long. I do believe it is important to a degree but it might be overrated in the current media market 

It's not overrated in current media market. It reaches the most demos, it's the most powerful venue for advertising, bars will put it on, it has a lot more weight.

The big thing is advertising. Advertising on the internet is viewed as highly risky while TV is still viewed as king.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

It's not overrated in current media market. It reaches the most demos, it's the most powerful venue for advertising, bars will put it on, it has a lot more weight.

The big thing is advertising. Advertising on the internet is viewed as highly risky while TV is still viewed as king.

Not saying its not important but I'm sure they've taken the changing sports media landscape into the equation for launch.

The other thing to keep in mind is just because there isn't anything now doesn't mean there won't be later once it's more established. 

Theres a lot of chapters left to be written in the CPL book my friends. I'd encourage people not to get so discouraged easily 

13 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Twitter live streams actually do extremely well. The Inaugration had 6.8 million viewers. The NFL live streams drew more than average MLS games. http://marketingland.com/twitters-nfl-streams-averaged-265800-per-minute-viewers-across-10-games-204824

Landscape is changing. Would be interesting if we could sell the rights to Twitter and then they could flip them to traditional TV. Right now it goes the other way around.

Twitter active user count has been dropping for a while. It seems to be either on the verge of death or a massive comeback.

I think the best way forward for media might be a combo of TV and Twitter/Facebook/YouTube. The one I think makes the most sense is oddly Twitch who may be looking into sports in the near future.

55 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

https://www.facebook.com/CPLsoccer/

A proposed coast to coast league with less than 500 likes on Facebook?  We can do better than that.  

Like the CanPL Facebook please.  Share it with your friends list.   

still early.  it was only announced 2 days ago and there's been pretty little mainstream coverage.

little articles on cbc and the tsn coverage was tucked away in a corner

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Much as I think having rebranded MLS II teams involved would be a good idea and would give the new league some much needed stability, how does it square with John McGrane saying as recently as a couple of days ago on the local Hamilton TV news that they want to be on par with TFC in seven years complete with a $20 million budget?

3 players make up 80-90% of that "$20 million budget". In reality, TFC's budget is probably around $6 or $7 million. 

7 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Jonathan Osorio is currently earning a base salary of $191,763 with the Toronto FC, with a guaranteed salary of $200,237.

i think if Hamilton offers 300k-500k/ a year he could join 

I think he would be gaga over that, but I doubt he gets that much.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I am a couple pages behind, but every quality player, like Osorio, that we get in CPL is good for the league. And what's good for the league is good for Canadian soccer in my opinion. Especially when you consider where our national team is at right now, it's not like we will be missing much if the CMNT dips in quality for a while. We need CPL to survive and thrive, so the more players at this level, especially relatively known players, the better.

I am with you on this.  If we start off viewing CPL as the worst choice available to our pool of quality players, things are pretty much doomed at the outset.  Better to have a strong league built on a foundation of quality Canadian players.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

^^^Agree on the first part, but on the second here is what Peter Montopoli is tweeted as saying on what appears to be an official CPL twitter feed:

This is not an official CanPL twitter account and whoever is running it has already made several mistakes in interpreting interviews and articles. 

Just now, Complete Homer said:

BOOM SASKATCHEWAN DERBY

although he does mention that he wants the team to be province wide, which hints at one or the other, but this is the first time we've seen mentioned that it would be saskatoon as opposed to regina, which is interesting.

Hopefully it means both.  

8 hours ago, Diamondium said:

I feel sad, because I have tickets to this and was super excited for my first soccer game live.

Then Oilers game 7 happened to be on the same day. I just cannot physically justify missing that.

Suppose I'll have to hope they can beat Ottawa and give me another chance to go next round. :(

Buy another ticket to the V's Cup match. Then you can miss it with a clear conscience knowing that you supported the team.

I just thought of a secondary effect a 2018 launch might have. 

So there will be a world cup buzz, that's the most logical reason to start when the will. But now you have a short season as well. So instead of curious casual sports fans have 15 games to check out the new team, they only have 5 or so. The result is that we may see higher than expected attendances. 

Now the narative is "we had a great first season, look at our attendance! There are more teams this year and even more coming next year, we are a growing league." Now the league itself has a buzz. This could lead to more season ticket holders, sponsors and broadcasting rights. This league could snowball into something very legitimate very quick if the can keep it pointing in the right direction. 

Note: before anyone goes crazy, the larger than expected attendance I'm talking about would be a league average of 8,000+   I'm not completely delusional, just slightly. 

2 hours ago, Zem said:

They're apparently planning to build a 7,000-8,000 seat pop-up stadium instead of using Mosaic Stadium and its sewn-in football lines, which is good news.

Agreed - this to me is both ideal and realistic and exactly the sort of thing we need to hear IMO. Saskatoon is an ideal market for the CPL for at least one of the visions of the league that we seems to have been put forth.

Ahh the heady days of 30 pages ago when we all claimed there wasn't enough "noise" about cities. Only Hamilton and Halifax have been talked about!

We now have what; Halifax, Moncton, Ottawa, Hamilton, KW, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton. Not too shabby.

6 hours ago, Macksam said:

3 players make up 80-90% of that "$20 million budget". In reality, TFC's budget is probably around $6 or $7 million. 

That's not how a budget works.

4 hours ago, Alex D said:

I just thought of a secondary effect a 2018 launch might have. 

So there will be a world cup buzz, that's the most logical reason to start when the will. But now you have a short season as well. So instead of curious casual sports fans have 15 games to check out the new team, they only have 5 or so. The result is that we may see higher than expected attendances. 

Now the narative is "we had a great first season, look at our attendance! There are more teams this year and even more coming next year, we are a growing league." Now the league itself has a buzz. This could lead to more season ticket holders, sponsors and broadcasting rights. This league could snowball into something very legitimate very quick if the can keep it pointing in the right direction. 

Note: before anyone goes crazy, the larger than expected attendance I'm talking about would be a league average of 8,000+   I'm not completely delusional, just slightly. 

Yeah they might be able to spin it well.But there must be significant risks too. It seems you would be reducing the amount of opportunities to make money, while retaining the vast majority of costs associated with running a club (wages, advertising, stadium costs). Selfishly, I want them to start as soon as possible though.

5 hours ago, Zem said:

They're apparently planning to build a 7,000-8,000 seat pop-up stadium instead of using Mosaic Stadium and its sewn-in football lines, which is good news.

Would've thought they would use mosaic, and atleast tarp off the upper bowl (brings it to 14-16k). The facilities, and amenities are FIFA quality. So spending millions to have a temporary pop up stadium, to me doesn't make sense if you have a brand new beautiful stadium. Especially when the pop up will be turf.

Sewn in lines shouldnt be an issue in regard to making the initial investment  to replace the turf. 

Archived