Canadian Premier League

ted

Strongly suspect the obvious here: The New York Cosmos want in on CANPL! With MLS both blocked to them, and clearly built on a house of cards - soon to be tumbling when the US women start digging around into the arrangements with SUM - CANPL is the obvious pathway to making the COsmos great again!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They weren't part of the announcement, which was particularly odd in Calgary's case as they were the ones that have been most strongly rumoured to be involved in CFL owner terms. Does that really need to be spelled out? As for the PDL team bit:

http://m.therecord.com/sports-story/7294235-fledgling-canadian-premier-league-could-come-to-waterloo-region

Paul Beirne is saying very positive things about K/W United's bid to get into CPL.

Look the Flames doesn't own or operate that stadium. You know that right? It's fully possible they're still working out a deal so they're pending like Halifax. Why do you always go to extremes

KW is a solo top 4 market hence why there is attention there. However, no one credible has reported on it for the launch and Beirne has praised a lot of places.

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They weren't part of the announcement, which was particularly odd in Calgary's case as they were the ones that have been most strongly rumoured to be involved in CFL owner terms. Does that really need to be spelled out? As for the PDL team bit:

http://m.therecord.com/sports-story/7294235-fledgling-canadian-premier-league-could-come-to-waterloo-region

Paul Beirne is saying very positive things about K/W United's bid to get into CPL.

So in other words no evidence just assumptions to fit your narrative.  You could be right or you could be wrong and we won't know until the teams are announced.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Which is encouraging in terms of CPL finding a niche for itself rather than duplicating what is already in place and having a bit of an identity crisis over its status relative to MLS.

No, you're just making up your own narrative like usual.

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The Kitchener Record isn't credible?

I literally just edited my thing at the same time you posted to say for the launch. The Record isn't pushing KW for the launch. It's saying what we already knew.

Also nice avoidance of the Calgary point

Just now, matty said:

I literally just edited my thing at the same time you posted to say for the launch. The Record isn't pushing KW for the launch

"I think that there is a real chance it will happen," said MacLean. "We have a goal to try to be ready for the launch. We want to be a part of it from the beginning."

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...which is why I used words like "if" and "likely".

But the use of the word likely makes it sound like it's a near certainty when you honestly have no clue. 

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

"I think that there is a real chance it will happen," said MacLean. "We have a goal to try to be ready for the launch. We want to be a part of it from the beginning."

Yes that's the team dreaming not the paper pushing the way we saw Halifax papers pushing. Remember how the Halifax press printed the outlines.

40 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Confirmed now http://www.620ckrm.com/2017/05/08/international-soccer-coming-to-mosaic-stadium/

Cosmos of course, do barnstorm. Highly likely that game is a trial ballon to gauge support in Regina...years of nothing and now this, just days after CPL Soccer announcement.

A trial game is great and all, but I'd be worried if the league is counting on Regina being a founding city and they're doing all this after the league was being announced.

Also, you'd think they could find someone more attention-grabbing than Valencia for this.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Yes that's the team dreaming not the paper pushing the way we saw Halifax papers pushing. Remember how the Halifax press printed the outlines.

"The key ingredient is an active and engaged community and I think K-W represents everything that we're looking for in a strong and vibrant CPL club," said Beirne, who has worked for Major League Soccer's Toronto FC and Brighton and Hove Albion of the English Premier League.

"The fans in K-W are going to enjoy hating the fans in Hamilton because that's part of football. However, there is also this overarching sense of purpose that we're creating a movement about the Canadian game."

3 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

I don't even get what's being argued about really at this point.

BBTB's last post is either wrong and/or right.

Really just the same thing we've been arguing about for the last 350 pages.  It's our favourite pastime.

"The key ingredient is an active and engaged community and I think K-W represents everything that we're looking for in a strong and vibrant CPL club," said Beirne, who has worked for Major League Soccer's Toronto FC and Brighton and Hove Albion of the English Premier League.

"The fans in K-W are going to enjoy hating the fans in Hamilton because that's part of football. However, there is also this overarching sense of purpose that we're creating a movement about the Canadian game."

I would love to see a heated KW/Ham rivalry.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

BBTB's last post is either wrong and/or right.

Really just the same thing we've been arguing about for the last 350 pages.  It's our favourite pastime.

"Likely" it's speculation :)

Also BBTB just teasing and trying to have fun so please don't get upset..

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Also, you'd think they could find someone more attention-grabbing than Valencia for this.

Cosmos vs Valencia is maybe a better way to gauge probable interest than Man Utd vs Juventus and it's also a lot more affordable in terms of appearance fees. Will be interesting to see if anything CPL related gets mentioned at the press conference.

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That quote says nothing about the launch man. This right now is in the same boat as the Moncton bid: someone wants a team

Anyways BBTB you're saving face about jumping to conclusions about Calgary being out because they weren't at the meeting and pushing against what (I think) 5 different reports and a leaked document said to push a narrative that the only has a single quote from someone that wants in but lacks anything else substantial

Cosmos vs Valencia is maybe a better way to gauge probable interest than Man Utd vs Juventus and it's also a lot more affordable in terms of appearance fees. Will be interesting to see if anything CPL related gets mentioned at the press conference.

Yeah, probably right about the interest.

The league hasn't seemed big on in-person information releases, but if they're at all planning to make a team announcement in front of a public gathering...

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

A trial game is great and all, but I'd be worried if the league is counting on Regina being a founding city and they're doing all this after the league was being announced.

I am not worried that Regina will be a founder, as I don't think that is in the cards. Obviously though, this sort of friendly does not get pulled together in a couple of days so clearly in the works for a while, and almost certainly evidence of someone poking around at the possibility.

I disagree about more "attention-grabbing". In fact, worry that this might be too attention grabbing. Barcelona (or anyone else "bigger" than Valencia) selling out Mosaic would prove nothing on a one off basis. People, will shell out and attend because it is the thing to do. A better trial would be Edmonton playing four home games in Regina. If people will come for that, they will come for CanPL. Nevertheless, it is what is on offer.

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I doubt they do but yea it will be

22 hours ago, Ansem said:

Good post but I share the theory that I don't think they are the only shareholder of the team. They may be the majority partner in the team but I doubt they hold 100% of it. Quite frankly, it's healthier that way. I don't think it's unfair to assume that the Bombers will still focus on CFL, but having another partner in this with you allows you to keep that focus while the other partner focuses on soccer.

If that makes sense?

I agree that it makes sense, on some level. But who are they? Other than our own speculation that there 'ought' to be joint owners involved, there has been no hint to that effect. Perhaps there are some mysterious silent partner.... But Winnipeg is too small for that kinda cloak and dagger stuff. Why wouldn't they just say who it is. Or at least hint at it?

5 minutes ago, Wingback6 said:

I agree that it makes sense, on some level. But who are they? Other than our own speculation that there 'ought' to be joint owners involved, there has been no hint to that effect. Perhaps there are some mysterious silent partner.... But Winnipeg is too small for that kinda cloak and dagger stuff. Why wouldn't they just say who it is. Or at least hint at it?

Everybody knows the Habs in Montreal, but most Montrealers wouldn't know that Molson doesn't own 100% of the team, let alone who are the other minority partners. On the tip of my head, Bell has some % of the Habs.

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

You also have to take into consideration that the ticket prices will be much lower in the CPL compared to  home games in the CFL so families could go see a few CPL games(2 or 3) compared to 1 football game. Just curious, is it a LAUGHABLE 8 games for NFL also or just CFL?

NFL too not just CFL.

Archived