Canadian Premier League

ted

Just now, Ansem said:

Everybody knows the Habs in Montreal, but most Montrealers wouldn't know that Molson doesn't own 100% of the team, let alone who are the other minority partners. On the tip of my head, Bell has some % of the Habs.

That is a fair reference. But the amount of money to own/operate an NHL team is lot more than the kind of team we're talking about. I suppose it remains to be seen either way.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wingback6 said:

But the amount of money to own/operate an NHL team is lot more than the kind of team we're talking about.

Exactly! and the beauty of it? Expenses are in Canadian dollars

41 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I am not worried that Regina will be a founder, as I don't think that is in the cards. Obviously though, this sort of friendly does not get pulled together in a couple of days so clearly in the works for a while, and almost certainly evidence of someone poking around at the possibility.

I disagree about more "attention-grabbing". In fact, worry that this might be too attention grabbing. Barcelona (or anyone else "bigger" than Valencia) selling out Mosaic would prove nothing on a one off basis. People, will shell out and attend because it is the thing to do. A better trial would be Edmonton playing four home games in Regina. If people will come for that, they will come for CanPL. Nevertheless, it is what is on offer.

This new stadium in Regina has permanent football lines are they going to play with the football lines there, or are they bringing in temporary grass for the game? I hope they don't go ahead and play with the football lines and all, it will be a very bad look for a game that will be seen in  a lot of places around the world.

BTW.........TS'FUCKIN'N reporting on CPL in more detail than others. Let the conspiracy die http://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/milton-cpl-announcement-a-special-moment-in-canadian-soccer-1.745500

Also CONCACAF on the CPL http://www.concacaf.com/article/canada-soccer-welcomes-new-era-approves-professional-league?utm_content=sf77507477&utm_medium=spredfast&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=CONCACAF&sf77507477=1

1 minute ago, 1996 said:

This new stadium in Regina has permanent football lines are they going to play with the football lines there, or are they bringing in temporary grass for the game? I hope they don't go ahead and play with the football lines and all, it will be a very bad look for a game that will be seen in  a lot of places around the world.

Agree

9 minutes ago, Alex D said:

That's probably just hubris. 

I was more focused on him being labelled the team's head. Fully agree with you though.

So McGrane is more involved than simply being some adviser. A lot questioned how much he actually knew and ragged on him for knowing nothing or falsifying info. And now BOOM he's maybe the director of soccer operations for Hamilton or something.

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Except what? He said "in time", not within the next 5 years.

Typo for excerpt

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

A trial game is great and all, but I'd be worried if the league is counting on Regina being a founding city and they're doing all this after the league was being announced.

Also, you'd think they could find someone more attention-grabbing than Valencia for this.

Valencia sure grabs my attention more than Cosmos, unless they're travelling to Regina in a time machine and bring a young(er) Pele, Chinaglia and Beckenbauer. 

Just now, SuperCanuck said:

Valencia sure grabs my attention more than Cosmos, unless they're travelling to Regina in a time machine and bring a young(er) Pele, Chinaglia and Beckenbauer. 

Don't get me wrong - the Cosmos don't interest me in the slightest.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Don't get me wrong - the Cosmos don't interest me in the slightest.

Whew, OK now I agree with you 100%.  I'd sure go see Valencia if I lived in Regina, but I know what you mean.  The average non-footie fan won't know anything about Valencia except oranges.

29 minutes ago, admin said:

Official? 

It looked official, came out on Sunday I think from the official twitter feed.  Speaking of Facebook did the Voyageurs CPL supporters group ever get created?  I know we talked about it a couple of months ago but easy to get lost in this thread lol

1 hour ago, Wingback6 said:

I agree that it makes sense, on some level. But who are they? Other than our own speculation that there 'ought' to be joint owners involved, there has been no hint to that effect. Perhaps there are some mysterious silent partner.... But Winnipeg is too small for that kinda cloak and dagger stuff. Why wouldn't they just say who it is. Or at least hint at it?

Long shot but here is my guess. True North is a partner and don't ask me how, but their goal is to own the Bombers and IG Field.

6 minutes ago, kodiakTFC said:

We've heard that 10 cities are bidding for a place in the CPL. Has it been confirmed that this doesn't include Hamilton and Winnipeg because they're confirmed? Thus, 12 cities are interested? Is that a fair assumption?

If I recall correctly it was including them.

3 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

If I recall correctly it was including them.

Yes, the ten includes Hamilton and Winnipeg. I think some of the recent links indicate that (perhaps the Milton post from 3downcountry a few pages back?)

19 minutes ago, kodiakTFC said:

We've heard that 10 cities are bidding for a place in the CPL. Has it been confirmed that this doesn't include Hamilton and Winnipeg because they're confirmed? Thus, 12 cities are interested? Is that a fair assumption?

That's the way it reads to me. A total of 12 cities was mentioned previously around Christmas time and that makes it a reasonable assumption. The only ones we know about for sure of the remaining 10 are Halifax and K/W, so it begs the question of whether the likes of TFC 2 and the Ottawa Fury are being included to pad the stats a bit.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's the way it reads to me. A total of 12 cities was mentioned previously around Christmas time and that makes it a reasonable assumption. The only ones we know about for sure of the remaining 10 are Halifax and K/W, so it begs the question of whether the likes of TFC 2 and the Ottawa Fury are being included to pad the stats a bit.

TFC 2 to the CPL has the same odds as Valencia deciding to stay in Regina

Archived