Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

The Vocal Minority Podcast just put out a new podcast. Kristen Knowles said a source has told them that it is very unlikely that Jonathon Osorio will be renewed by TFC (his contract is structured such that his next deal would come with a hefty automatic raise and TFC feels that Chapman could step up), and that Hamilton is interested in making a hard push to make him their first signing 

So... CPL has its first signing rumour. Sign of the times! 

Edit: 39 minutes in, episode 186

Honestly, in the event that this happens, it would be a great move by Hamilton, but an absolutely terrible move for Osorio. Unless there is some sort of DP rule where Hamilton could throw a bag of money at Osorio, I don't see it making sense career wise. On the other hand, it would be similar to Michael Bradley signing with MLS, in that a national team player in his prime signs with a local club to become the face of the league...

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Honestly, in the event that this happens, it would be a great move by Hamilton, but an absolutely terrible move for Osorio. Unless there is some sort of DP rule where Hamilton could throw a bag of money at Osorio, I don't see it making sense career wise. On the other hand, it would be similar to Michael Bradley signing with MLS, in that a national team player in his prime signs with a local club to become the face of the league...

Well, with limited movement within MLS, the guy may just see it as a solid paycheck. You can only spend so much of your career trying to move up the ladder, and maybe a 25 year old Osorio takes the money from CPL that TFC wasn't interested in offering.

Even if CPL has a 60k average salary, it's not like everyone will be getting that. A distribution of 1 250k player, 3 100k players, 5 75k players, 7 at 40k, 9 at 32k seems reasonable. If Hamilton was looking at making Osorio a 250k signing, that would apparently be roughly in line with the raise Osorio is due and TFC may be unwilling to 

14 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Well, with limited movement within MLS, the guy may just see it as a solid paycheck. You can only spend so much of your career trying to move up the ladder, and maybe a 25 year old Osorio takes the money from CPL that TFC wasn't interested in offering.

I think Osorio could get another MLS gig fairly easily. He's played 125 games in the league and made it to the cup final, I'd say most MLS teams would want someone like him. Heck he might attract some European interest if he was on the open market.

1 minute ago, matty said:

I think Osorio could get another MLS gig fairly easily. He's played 125 games in the league and made it to the cup final, I'd say most MLS teams would want someone like him. Heck he might attract some European interest if he was on the open market.

Problem with staying within MLS is that he's still considered an international for the American teams - will he get enough of an offer (or any) that are worth his while?  I think that what @shermanator said might appeal to him - becoming the face of the new league.  Also, if they can sign someone like him then maybe some of the overseas guys will be willing to come home.  Not to mention the mid-range players that are in the USL right now.  Would love to see Nana back in Canada for instance. 

1 minute ago, Kristin said:

Problem with staying within MLS is that he's still considered an international for the American teams - will he get enough of an offer (or any) that are worth his while?  I think that what @shermanator said might appeal to him - becoming the face of the new league.  Also, if they can sign someone like him then maybe some of the overseas guys will be willing to come home.  Not to mention the mid-range players that are in the USL right now.  Would love to see Nana back in Canada for instance. 

Even with the roster rules I think he could get an offer in MLS. He's established and a lot of teams would use a spot on a guy like him. He'd likely be cheaper than some of the other international options.

I think he'd be a massive get for not just Hamilton but for the league. He's likely the biggest TFC non-DP fav fave ever. That said I don't think he could be the face of the league. I don't think any Canadian man could be atm. In order to make use of him for large scale national marketing you'd need guys like Johnson, Akindele and Teibert to enter the league along side him in an exodus from MLS. I like the idea but I doubt it'll happen.

USL and NASL guys, like Nana, will totally be entering CPL I'm sure.

I have been following this thread for the last 2 years (or so!??!!...is that pathetic??)...there have been some great discussions!!  I am so happy to see the CanPL finally officially happening!!

I would love to have a team in Regina, and I would be the first one in line for season tickets. However, I believe that Regina is a gridiron town and there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for soccer in the City compared to S'Toon, especially from corporate sponsors.  Am I wrong??

Growing up in Saskatoon, wouldn't a team work better there?...Griffith's or Gordie Howe Bowl?

7 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

I have been following this thread for the last 2 years (or so!??!!...is that pathetic??)...there have been some great discussions!!  I am so happy to see the CanPL finally officially happening!!

I would love to have a team in Regina, and I would be the first one in line for season tickets. However, I believe that Regina is a gridiron town and there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for soccer in the City compared to S'Toon, especially from corporate sponsors.  Am I wrong??

Growing up in Saskatoon, wouldn't a team work better there?...Griffith's or Gordie Howe Bowl?

Griffith pitch isn't wide enough for fifa dimensions and requirements. Not sure about gordie howe?? They have done lots of work there though to update it.

I like the idea of using the roughrider brand but having the team in Saskatoon so there is a roughriders team in each city. However the original concept of roughriders being involved has never been confirmed. Tenancy at mosaic has which makes more sense to host it there and keep it in Regina. No reason we couldn't have both eventually. 

Would need some major backing and no idea where that would come from in Saskatoon. The Sask Party like throwing money away. We could cut some more education money to cover it and give mla's season tickets. 

I'd be interested to see if the rush ownership might be interested. They have done an excellent job of getting into the community and promoting lacrosse. 

33 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

Do you live in Regina?

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Griffith pitch isn't wide enough for fifa dimensions and requirements. Not sure about gordie howe?? They have done lots of work there though to update it.

I like the idea of using the roughrider brand but having the team in Saskatoon so there is a roughriders team in each city. However the original concept of roughriders being involved has never been confirmed. Tenancy at mosaic has which makes more sense to host it there and keep it in Regina. No reason we couldn't have both eventually. 

Would need some major backing and no idea where that would come from in Saskatoon. The Sask Party like throwing money away. We could cut some more education money to cover it and give mla's season tickets. 

I'd be interested to see if the rush ownership might be interested. They have done an excellent job of getting into the community and promoting lacrosse. 

Griffiths is supposed to be getting a makeover. The track is old and dilapidated and is supposedly getting taken out to increase the seating.

Sorry, I just really don't see Regina supporting a soccer team as much as I'd like to see it.  When I moved here 10 years ago, I noticed two things...It was a 'Rider' town, and it was about 20 years behind Saskatoon when it came to soccer.

Had heard about the griffith makeover. One of the options is to take out the track. If they choose that option you might see husky soccer there too. It would be a great stadium for cpl.  

I'd bloody love a team here. There is definitely a growing culture here. The huskies are doing well and have created a few potential mls players now. Whitecaps have a centre here.

Not sure where the backing would come from still. 

1 hour ago, matty said:

agreed - no chance he goes to CPL at this stage.

This Regina Leader Post story sheds some light on who is behind the exhibition game at the Mosaic Stadium:

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/spanish-soccer-team-to-play-this-summer-at-new-mosaic-stadium

...Toronto’s On Ice Management Group Inc. is announcing a “major international sporting event” for Mosaic Stadium on Tuesday morning...

In the past they appear to have been linked to NHL expansion to Saskatoon:

http://o.canada.com/sports/kevin-mitchell

“From what I’ve seen of the province — the passion and the growth and the politicians and the people — I think it can do anything,” Graham, who fronts On Ice Management Group Inc., said Wednesday over lunch at a local restaurant.

And that anything, says Graham, includes supporting an NHL franchise.

and the CBC add this snippet:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/july-22-valencia-vs-ny-cosmos-1.4106187

On Ice Management Group, which has also booked an NHL pre-season game in Saskatoon later this year, announced the game on Tuesday morning.

So, if this is CPL related it may not be the Roughriders that are involved.

14 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Am I the only one that would like to see CPL have it's own forum on this website? This single thread is getting pretty ridiculous in size and content.

I'd rather we keep the crazy talk here for the hardcore and not scare off the casual fans :)

9 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The Vocal Minority Podcast just put out a new podcast. Kristen Knowles said a source has told them that it is very unlikely that Jonathon Osorio will be renewed by TFC (his contract is structured such that his next deal would come with a hefty automatic raise and TFC feels that Chapman could step up), and that Hamilton is interested in making a hard push to make him their first signing 

So... CPL has its first signing rumour. Sign of the times! 

Edit: 39 minutes in, episode 186

Damn too slow.  This is what I get for going to see Guardians 2 last night lol

15 hours ago, toontownman said:

*Edit - Maybe he really meant Hamilton could be on the same level as TFC II.

Obviously not. He said "with time," and being on par with TFC 2 wouldn't take anytime at all. It's possible he meant that in stadium support can be on par with TFC in time, which within a few years I can definitely see the team packing Tim Hortons Field, especially considering V Cup games with TFC should definitely help with those most likely being sell outs. That's essentially where fan retention has to occur.

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Had heard about the griffith makeover. One of the options is to take out the track. If they choose that option you might see husky soccer there too. It would be a great stadium for cpl.  

I'd bloody love a team here. There is definitely a growing culture here. The huskies are doing well and have created a few potential mls players now. Whitecaps have a centre here.

Not sure where the backing would come from still. 

Do you know @Tuscan aka Jeff Salisbury? He's planning on putting together a CanPL supporters group in Saskatoon and I know he'd like to gather interested people together. 

I think the whole Osorio discussion is a microcosm of some of the hand-wringing that will come in the next year.  Do some of our solid squad guys commit to CPL for both a solid paycheck and the chance to establish the foundation of a high quality league?  Or do we hope that they avoid CPL to seek competitive opportunities, recognizing that this will leave a quality gap in the pool of CPL-available Canadian players and result in a level of play that may leave many disappointed in CPL and create sustainability problems right out of the gate?  It will be hard (if not impossible) to have it both ways.  Either some high level Canadian players may need to sacrifice some degree of immediate opportunity to help found a quality league, or they will avoid CPL resulting in any domestic quotas being filled by guys clearly not good enough to make MLS squads.  

There may be a few guys like Bekker (playing NASL but can arguably compete in MLS) that may be ideal candidates for movement into CPL, but it will be difficult to find enough guys like that to fill out 8-12 teams with 4-5 quality Canucks each (32-60 CanCon players).

Soccer Today yesterday with Rollins and Laramee was a CPL Q&A show.  

https://sportspodcastingnetwork.com/2017/05/09/soccer-today-on-spn-may-9th-2017-canadian-premier-league-mailbag-special/

Some stuff from Rollins

-Asked about other teams he repeated watch the CFL and the teams there that haven't announced (Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, "maybe Regina")

-Asked about a yearly draft suspects there will be but not a fan.  Most likely won't include League One (and similar leagues) so they can get transfer fees, guesses it will only be Canadian players playing university/college 

-Expects Canadian quota to be lower than expected (3-4 per team but expects teams to have 10-11 total per team due to the nature) 

-98% chance Calgary will be a starting team in 2018.  Says 2% chance not happening is same chance as Flames leaving since tied together with the arena/stadium complex

-Asked about TV contract and said it will be difficult for them to get one.  Wouldn't be surprised if it only online (Ie Twitter, Facebook, YouTube) at launch.  Said it will be hard to get money from TV until they're proven and the changing nature of sports media properties.

-Only mention of FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury was during VCUP format speculation is that they're probably not joining anytime soon

-And the million dollar question, relationship with MLS and I quote, "the MLS teams will be invited in and allowed to contribute somehow to the CPL  but there's no way in hell they'll be allowed to brand the teams as TFC II"  He speculates affiliate model with loans to regional teams but repeated a couple of more times "No way in Hell" any II designation.

And with that recap, bring on another ten pages of arguements :)

43 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think the whole Osorio discussion is a microcosm of some of the hand-wringing that will come in the next year.  Do some of our solid squad guys commit to CPL for both a solid paycheck and the chance to establish the foundation of a high quality league?  Or do we hope that they avoid CPL to seek competitive opportunities, recognizing that this will leave a quality gap in the pool of CPL-available Canadian players and result in a level of play that may leave many disappointed in CPL and create sustainability problems right out of the gate?  It will be hard (if not impossible) to have it both ways.  Either some high level Canadian players may need to sacrifice some degree of immediate opportunity to help found a quality league, or they will avoid CPL resulting in any domestic quotas being filled by guys clearly not good enough to make MLS squads.  

There may be a few guys like Bekker (playing NASL but can arguably compete in MLS) that may be ideal candidates for movement into CPL, but it will be difficult to find enough guys like that to fill out 8-12 teams with 4-5 quality Canucks each (32-60 CanCon players).

I think it would be best that guys like Osorio sacrifice the European dream and join the CPL. A sacrifice, if some view it like that, our current journeyman need to make for the successful establishment of this league. I know it may arguably make our national team weaker in the short term with our guys playing in a less competitive league, but the long term benefit vastly outweighs that.

Archived