Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

The best situation we can realistically hope for IMO is an 8 to 10 team league (depending on where Edmonton and Ottawa want to play) as well as three MLS teams all developing players and thriving at their respective levels - which I don't think it is going to be the 20-27K size crowds MLS gets. I'll be thrilled with a 5K attendance average across the CPL that  Bobby McMahon was suggesting could be the case.

That's the best situation to start. Long term should and will be much better than that.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel like CPL will follow the footsteps of the MLS. I do think it is the best route to take overall for CPL and I do they start having academies from the start as well. With many already so many in Canada perhaps forming partnerships with many ie Sigma... Although I think starting the league in Late April or May could be better instead of August.

19 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Probably the most important points taken from the Red Card interview, along with the domestic quota not being decided yet other than being "Canadian Heavy"

9 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

so without Edmonton and Ottawa who is in the cards? Different markets or different ownership in those markets?

Is there an actual source for this news outside of this tweet? The Twitter account being quoted is a knockoff account; it's not the official Twitter handle of the CPL.

17 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Is there an actual source for this news outside of this tweet? The Twitter account being quoted is a knockoff account; it's not the official Twitter handle of the CPL.

Oh geez, I didn't even realize...fooled me with the logo.

Supposedly it's from an interview with Montopoli with Totera that just happened, but I haven't actually watched it

Edit: The person who has the twitter account said it was actually from this interview

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/corner-kicks-may-8-2017-1.746219

I'll see if it is legit

Edit 2: So far Montopoli *has* said CPL is Division 1. While he didn't explicitly say Ottawa and Edmonton aren't in, it is very strong implied that they aren't. "There is no roadmap now for how they would fit in, but certainly in the future we hope to have an exciting proposition for them to join."

Edit 3: This is actually a good interview that answers a lot of questions. "Interlocking with USL and NASL is not on the table. Something in the future, like a cup, maybe that is possible."

53 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Does that mean

A)CPL will decide which bid is Tier 1 or Tier 2?

B)Will they reach 16 teams and then create CPL 2?

C)Take all the bids that meat their requirement until they can make 2 tier with Pro/Rel?

Exciting times indeed

I wouldn't rule out...

D) East and West divisions.

22 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

so without Edmonton and Ottawa who is in the cards? Different markets or different ownership in those markets?

This is disappointing because I thought Ottawa would make the jump from day one. It does make sense though because they signed a two year affiliation agreement with MTL and they may want to play out a full season in the USL instead of a half season soft launch. 

30 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I listened to the interview and to me it didnt sounds like he was referring to EDM or OTT. It sounded like he meant it wouldn't be a division of USL or NASL. Thats my take on it.

31 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I was initially guessing that he was being coy and meaning that they wouldn't be in for the shortened 2018 season (and Ottawa at least could finish their full season in the USL), but if the "no roadmap" thing is accurate, maybe a little bit less cause for optimism there.

Yet another assumption I get to walk back from.  Sad though.

Just now, grasshopper1917 said:

I listened to the interview and to me it didnt sounds like he was referring to EDM or OTT. It sounded like he meant it wouldn't be a division of USL or NASL. Thats my take on it.

Go back to 13:25. It seems pretty strongly implied IMO.

"There's no roadmap for how those two teams would participate"

4 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Steve Milton just said that: “We got 10 expressions (including Hamilton and Winnipeg) of interest from across the country. And there are definitely more in the pipeline. We’ve got more demand than supply. We will continue the process of assessing potential members: looking at ownership, and facilities and markets." In other words, 2 have been officially approved while 8 are being reviewed presently at the moment. That's not all. There more teams to come, probably bringing the league to 12 or even as high as 16. This is what this is telling me by reading these comments.

Even ten strikes me as a lot for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The first paragraph didn't really answer my question but never mind - I think the 20-30% estimate of the market being lost to a Hamilton team in an overestimate, both from a population-base perspective (I doubt they are getting that many of their fans from Hamilton, Niagara and Burlington - it wouldn't surprise me if more fans come from north of the city than south) and from a level of play perspective

I'm talking about media markets not fanbases ok. Hamilton and Toronto are a single market called Toronto-Hamilton-Niagara. Not two and Hamilton, Halton and Niagara combined is about 1.5million or 20% of the approximate 7.5m people in the market. It matters a lot to advertisers.

This isn't a like-for-like situation of putting an NHL team in Hamilton where that might take away 20% of the market for the Leafs (although the Leafs would thrive just fine without it, but that's another story) - the CPL, unless it turns out to be a far more lucrative venture from the get go, is, for the forseable future, not going to be able to compete with the playing level and star appeal that MLS brings (and not just those who play on the Canadian teams - the likes of Pirlo and Schweinsteiger do help to sell a few tickets). Not everyone is going to flock to see their local team and turn their back on TFC, especially if they live in Oakville and Milton (as Hamilton still wouldn't be a local team to them).

It's the league will not be at that level play or star wise but the Ti-Cats are capable of hurting TFC footprint in the market and that's bad for TFC. You're right about some people not turning their backs on TFC because Hamilton is their home team but there will be a number that will turn if Hamilton is closer to them and offering decent soccer. You can say that later point is stupid but it's true.

I could see MLSE being a little more wary/rueful if Hamilton was getting an MLS team. I could also see Hamilton doing really well with attendance - without it hurting TFC attendance to any significant degree - because I could see lots of people who don't do the 90 minute drive to see TFC going to see Hamilton play.

Ultimately this isn't about attendance as it is about TV and advertising. MLS does meh numbers in Canada and if CPL has a TV deal with a network that has either similar reach to TSN or speciality status (like beIN Sports),and given the parties involved at the moment it seems likely they will have one, and is decent soccer, which again with the parties involved it seems likely it will be good enough, the Hamilton team could really take a chunk out of TFC ad money.

It should be noted TFC have already tried to kill Hamilton soccer hurting them before

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm thinking different ownership/investors for Ottawa and Edmonton. No way the CPL locks themselves out of those markets just to wait after those 2

This is only possible if the Oilers are willing to wack the Faths from that market and the Senators decide to buy out OSEG. I've been thinking about this just the other day.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm thinking different ownership/investors for Ottawa and Edmonton. No way the CPL locks themselves out of those markets just to wait after those 2

Disagree. You kill the market with competing teams. This isn't the MLS markets. Build the league and in two years they want to join 

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Disagree. You kill the market with competing teams. This isn't the MLS markets. Build the league and in two years they want to join 

Hypothetically, Melnyk and Katz wants in, it's a no brainer who you give a franchise to.

Let's say it isn't either of them, Edmonton and Ottawa having a million + in their metro area would logically attract the most potential investors. If those investors bid for those markets, expect the CPL to take the bids very seriously.

No way the CPL warms those seats in Ottawa and Edmonton for those 2 clubs to make up their minds. Good for them if there's no one bidding for those markets in the next 2-3 years but I doubt that's what going to happen

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL teams could join V Cup has early as 2018 according to Montopoli

Before ever playing a league match? Sounds like a great way to get wrecked and give MLS teams PR material. Unless they are shifting the schedule to much later (and then screwing the semi-pro teams)

Archived