Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Complete Homer said:

Before ever playing a league match? Sounds like a great way to get wrecked and give MLS teams PR material

Seems unlikely to me as the V Cup is earlier than the CPL kick off

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL teams could join V Cup has early as 2018 according to Montopoli

Yeah, I initially thought the same thing, and that the "we're including the D3 leagues" was a prelude to bringing the CPL in for 2018... but it doesn't make sense if they're not starting until August.

Teams need players if they're going to compete for the thing.  Yeah, you could delay the cup until September or October, but as others have said... that's very risky from a marketing POV.

I welcome the CPL teams into rhe V-cup.  Caps, TFC and Impact might play their B or C teams to give the CPL teams a chance and put them away in the away game at Stade Saputo, BC Place or BMO Field.  But seriously, its suicide for this league to be that ambitious.  If they go through with it, god help them

2 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Montopoli did not say as early as 2018. When asked about the V-cup he said that the league will join most likely in 2019. He referred to League 1 and PLSQ winners as joining in 2018. Then CPL joining the year after and possibly doubling the number of teams involved. 

thanks for clarifying. makes more sense

33 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think this is actually a little exciting. I'm really curious to see who the first teams out of the gate are now. 

No kidding.  It's understandable given other CSA events that they'd want to move forward, publicly, on this at this time but announcing intentions with all of TWO committed outside partners in the scheme (and with rather blurry details at that) is rather under whelming.  You just know they wanted to put something more, something grander out there at the launch.

However...as you stated, it does spur things doesn't it?

By that I mean the CSA wouldn't be announcing the scheme unless one way or another they know this will be going forward and going forward under the right circumstances.  As an association they don't want to look like a monkey do they?  Been there, done that, thank you for your service Mr Pipe.  

But if they play it right, time it right, over the next few months, say a year, they can use the expanding confirmations as a means to maintaining and building public interest as well as (how to put this?) encouraging (pressuring?) certain interested parties into moving from endless blah, blah, blah and into commitment.

Seriously, I can see this scheme marketing itself right into Edmonton and Ottawa over the next year.  And I have to admit I feel that is more important for the CPL's success during these early days than encroaching into Canada's Big Three markets. 

I am of course, assuming the CSA isn't holding back announcing some already at-this-point confirmed partners just to play us, and the greater public, for the reasons mentioned above.

But if they are, well played. ;)  

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Brand new 30k? Can we start with a 10k somewhere in Toronto, ideally near a subway line?

Why not 30k? Let's have some fun with this and scare MLSE even more so than they are now. ?

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

If the MLS has not penetrated non Canadian markets it has much more to do with those markets not having their own MLS teams but above all a lot to do with soccer not being popular enough as a spectator sport in Canada not much to do with the MLS, because if it was just a MLS thing then soccer viewing ratings for say the EPL would be through the roof in Edmonton, Calgary and Mossejaw, but EPL ratings are nothing special in those places either.

Your first point is right. Those cities don't have their own MLS teams and that's the main and only reason. 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I am not caught up on the thread so apologies if I am repeating, but I have seen this mentioned earlier as well. I took that statement to likely mean them talking about the Hamilton group. They sound like they are talking about the group trying to get the league going, not a group trying to get Winnipeg going.

That makes sense to.

Just now, DannyFromToronto23 said:

LOL WHAT ABOUT TSN 

ehhhh their minimla coverage caused a conspiracy so I want them to stay away from CPL. beIN would be both a blessing (cause they're a premium channel linked to media mega giant Al Jazeera, super serious about soccer and have a borderline monopoly on soccer on TV here) and a curse (it costs $15 a month and isn't widely available yet)

9 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

so without Edmonton and Ottawa who is in the cards? Different markets or different ownership in those markets?

If that means that FC Edmonton, the Ottawa Fury, VWFC 2 and TFC 2 are not expected to be involved and if as now appears likely the Calgary Stampeders, Edmonton Oilers and Saskatchewan Roughriders owners have decided to steer clear (why would they join later than the Blue Bombers and the Ticats?), then I suspect that the CPL probably becomes significantly different from what was being rumoured in terms of scale of operations in a way that is good news for present day and former PDL groups like K/W United, FC London, Calgary Foothills and the Victoria Highlanders, if the latter three are actually interested obviously. Winnipeg, K/W, Hamilton and Halifax is not too far away from the numbers needed for a soft launch.

Maybe time to take the Moncton French language newspaper list of teams seriously as an indication of things to come?

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/29031-canadian-premier-league/?do=findComment&comment=593220

Victoria, Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, London, Hamilton, Quebec and Halifax

7 hours ago, Macksam said:

Why not 30k? Let's have some fun with this and scare MLSE even more so than they are now. ?

Because TFC despite being the most popular team in Canada, having international superstars, having every game broadcast on nationally on TSN/CTV, having a massive marketing machine, have a payroll north of 20 Million dollars and being one of the top teams have a fair amount of empty seats most nights in their own 30,000 seat stadium. 

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

Hypothetically, Melnyk and Katz wants in, it's a no brainer who you give a franchise to.

Let's say it isn't either of them, Edmonton and Ottawa having a million + in their metro area would logically attract the most potential investors. If those investors bid for those markets, expect the CPL to take the bids very seriously.

No way the CPL warms those seats in Ottawa and Edmonton for those 2 clubs to make up their minds. Good for them if there's no one bidding for those markets in the next 2-3 years but I doubt that's what going to happen

Someone may want to bring a second team in those markets but I'd stand fast and say no.  But if they try to run a second team in those markets then the CPL folks aren't as smart as I give them credit to be. I'd rather have a functioning league without those two markets then four teams across three leagues either dead or on life support.  Agree to disagree again sir.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Someone may want to bring a second team in those markets but I'd stand fast and say no.  But if they try to run a second team in those markets then the CPL folks aren't as smart as I give them credit to be. I'd rather have a functioning league without those two markets then four teams across three leagues either dead or on life support.  Agree to disagree again sir.

A Canadian League without Ottawa and Edmonton makes no sense.

Perhaps Ottawa Fury needs more time and don't want to play a shorten season. Since their owners are CFL owners as well, it's possible they come around in 2019. Isn't it when their deal with the Montreal Impact is over?

Edmonton FC are staying with NASL until the ship sinks. What if it's survives until 2025? You and I don't know. So you're telling me that we should stay out of Edmonton just because an owner doesn't want to lose his investment in a flawed dying league? What's more important? The success of our league which we truly get only 1 shot or the man's wallet? I see FC Edmonton being run out of town if he keeps this up. He doesn't have to fold, there's always Lethbridge or other cities, but he's won't survive a CPL franchise playing Calgary and BC teams down the road.

Archived