Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

And for those who cite transfermarket as a reputable source, they currently have AD listed at £720,000.  Thus I would take their valuations with a grain of salt...

Transfer fees are a subjective human driven thing and it's doubtful Transfermarkt has humans estimating transfer fees for all the players out there. I'd say it's just some simple algorithm that takes into account the league the player is in, tier, games/minutes played, goals, assists...etc.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One small trans-Atlantic flight for a 17 year old, one giant leap for CMNT!

No idea what the early years will look like in terms of loans/playing time but make no mistake this is going to be a fun ride. 

He has a long way to go but this is what we all wanted for him and it's fairly obvious he's quickly outgrowing MLS.  Carl Robinson can't protect him anymore (or try to turn him into a defender) but I think he's ready for this huge challenge.

There will be some hiccups, and probably some cynicism from casual fans as it more than likely takes him some time to earn PT with the first team.  But comments above are 100% accurate: he will shine a spotlight on Canadian soccer like never before and he will bring a lot of new fans into the CMNT (and Voyageurs) fold.

No one will be able to ask any more: 'The CMNT?  Who the hell do they even have that I've ever heard of?  Why would I go to see them play?'

I've always thought there is a huge potential in this country for a groundswell of support for CMNT if they  show some glimmers of real potential with a couple world-class talents.  Look at the support the CWNT has developed with their success.  

Some signature wins and a true superstar and casual fans across the country might get behind this team with the same passion they showed for the Blue Jays in '92 and '93.  Even among non-soccer fans, Canadians love a good story of plucky underdog Canada against the US or Canada against the world.

That said, no pressure Alphonso.  We've waited this long, we can be patient with a genuinely likeable kid going to a massive club.

47 minutes ago, jordan said:

It would make sense that Vancouver wants more money for him especially if they want to eventually go after someone to replace Davies

Caps are probably leaking the info.. signaling to others to go to the atm and come to the table with more cash.. 12mil seems low to me

Would hate for him to leave abruptly. Great for him but would like a send off and more chances to see him live. Would be a bummer

Watched some of the highlights from the young players Real Madrid signed (Vinicious Jr and Rodrygo?) for 40.5M Euros each and while they seem to have higher technical skills I don't see the 4X value of Davies. I think Davies surely should be worth half that. 

Caps want big money for him and Bayern are a big club one of the richest in the world and they are only offering $12 mil because in their mind since Davies is only 17 that they feel he is worth it at that price but Vancouver feel like he's worth much more hence why they want more compensation so they can sign someone else to take Davies' spot once he does leave. The question being if this deal doesn't go through then which club is gonna pay more money just to acquire him?

32 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Watched some of the highlights from the young players Real Madrid signed (Vinicious Jr and Rodrygo?) for 40.5M Euros each and while they seem to have higher technical skills I don't see the 4X value of Davies. I think Davies surely should be worth half that. 

He probably should, but the Brazilian factor comes into play I think.

Davies being sold to Bayern for anywhere between $12-15M is incredible. Would be the biggest outgoing transfer from MLS and the biggest for a Canadian international.

I would feel comfortable with him at Bayern, and in Germany. Great optics for our program too, clearly.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He probably should, but the Brazilian factor comes into play I think.

Davies being sold to Bayern for anywhere between $12-15M is incredible. Would be the biggest outgoing transfer from MLS and the biggest for a Canadian international.

I would feel comfortable with him at Bayern, and in Germany. Great optics for our program too, clearly.

If Bayern can somehow get this done and Alphonso for sure jumps ship to Bayern he gets to play for not only one of the greatest clubs in the world but he gets to learn from and develop under the system of Pep Guardiola, one of the most iconic managers in Europe right now who just happens to be Bayern's coach.

9 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

If Bayern can somehow get this done and Alphonso for sure jumps ship to Bayern he gets to play for not only one of the greatest clubs in the world but he gets to learn from and develop under the system of Pep Guardiola, one of the most iconic managers in Europe right now who just happens to be Bayern's coach.

Pep is Manchester City's manager... seriously dude..

Assuming Davies ends up being a regular starter at the top level I still prefer him in the Premier League. I think that would have maximum impact on Canadian soccer. Bayern Munich is a huge club but I don't think more casual soccer fans in Canada are watching Bundesliga (or even know much about it)....nor any of the other European leagues that are not called the Premier League.

Another positive for us here people aren't looking at, Davies could still drag Vancouver into the playoffs if he stays, which would potentially cause him to miss U-20 WCQ. If he does go to Bayern just to train, barring injury he'd be there for Canada.

Is it still technically possible that we have a front 4 of Davies, Millar, Tabla, and Jonathan David for U20 World Cup? Or am I getting my age cutoff wrong?

11 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Another positive for us here people aren't looking at, Davies could still drag Vancouver into the playoffs if he stays, which would potentially cause him to miss U-20 WCQ. If he does go to Bayern just to train, barring injury he'd be there for Canada.

Is it still technically possible that we have a front 4 of Davies, Millar, Tabla, and Jonathan David for U20 World Cup? Or am I getting my age cutoff wrong?

You are correct BradMack.

25 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Pep is Manchester City's manager... seriously dude..

I didn't even know that Bayern changed managers so how was I supposed to know? I don't exactly keep up with those kind of things

16 minutes ago, BradMack said:

The age cutoff is 20 as long as they are not over 20 there is no problem

18 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Assuming Davies ends up being a regular starter at the top level I still prefer him in the Premier League. I think that would have maximum impact on Canadian soccer. Bayern Munich is a huge club but I don't think more casual soccer fans in Canada are watching Bundesliga (or even know much about it)....nor any of the other European leagues that are not called the Premier League.

Well because Premier League is the most recognizable of the European leagues and everyone goes there more or less to play there

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Going to Bayern is amazing.. 12 million usd is pretty ordinary 

For Davies? I don't think it's too low. For me a 6 figure fee would be too low.

I love Davies but I never did expect a fee above $15M for a 17 year Canadian player from MLS. A $12M fee for any of our players doesn't even seem real, sad as that is!

Have to say it: there is probably a former Bayern Canadian player involved in selling his value to them. Like it or not.

As for the cost: they are negotiating. The only thing that makes me nervous is if the Caps start asking for more when no one else is offering more, MLS teams have no experience in this stuff and tend to be a bit dumbass, like Orlando with Larin.

You always have to ask: when you see a large sum announced, who does that benefit? For one, the team selling, that they are getting a huge value for their product, it raises their prestige. But usually the selling team does not manipulate, they place a higher price than market, in function of who has made bids.

Also: the player is benefitted by a high transfer announcement, but in that case the sum would be insinuated or suggested by his agent, who is working on getting the bidding to activate, and is bucking for a higher commission. The rumours come out high from the agent. The buyer would always speak in lower terms, keep the cost mentions smaller, as a way of not being seen to be over-eager, and not being seen to be foolishly paying too much before fans and the local press. 

Saw this too: there are articles out there about Bayern signing other kids from MLS, or having them over on trial. So they are looking extensively at picking out the best of MLS teens. For them, it may or not make sense to pay what is mentioned about Davies if the relative difference is not justified. Chris Richards from Dallas has gone, there is a kid at SKC Cameron Duke I think trialling, and with him Llanez from Galaxy, all teens. To me it looks a bit like they are going to stock up, and loan out. Does Davies stand out so entirely superior that they cost will leap so greatly? For Richards Bayern paid under a million dollars.

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Definitive proof that this guy is a troll.  Please ban this fool.  

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For Davies? I don't think it's too low. For me a 6 figure fee would be too low.

I love Davies but I never did expect a fee above $15M for a 17 year Canadian player from MLS. A $12M fee for any of our players doesn't even seem real, sad as that is!

Thats's because they're buying potential. It's a gamble basically. Once he regularly plays in a top-league like EPL or Bundesliga, his worth will tripple instantly. 

Archived