Jump to content

Alphonso Davies


Northvansteve
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Major media starting to come around:

Check out @cbcian’s Tweet:

 

 

Watched this last night. When he speaks he does so from the heart. There is no prepared narrative.. no stay on message type answers, just  refreshing humility and honesty. He is truly a special person....unlike the typical modern day athlete.  Such a likeable guy...you can't help but want to see him succeed and I really hope he does. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

Watched this last night. When he speaks he does so from the heart. There is no prepared narrative.. no stay on message type answers, just  refreshing humility and honesty. He is truly a special person....unlike the typical modern day athlete.  Such a likeable guy...you can't help but want to see him succeed and I really hope he does. 

This, along with his talent, can really make him a special star in this country.  As @Kadenge said, combination of humility and maturity for a teenage athlete so refreshing.  The kind of personality who can potentially win over a lot of casual and even non-soccer fans to the sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is cool that he really does seem like it all isn't getting to him in terms of thinking he is the finished product.  His on-field growth is proof that he is still putting in the effort to grow and get better, and everything he says (or that is written about him) suggests the kind of humility that will serve him well going forward.  Far better than focusing on growing "his brand", he is focusing on the things that could make him a truly world class talent. 

I heart A.D..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Yoginess said:

If he keeps getting triple teamed and teams are fine to burn yellow cards early to pull him back, I think he’s getting to the point where the league has given alll it can to his development. 

His coach at the Whitecaps, who I shall not name, regularly sees him draw a yellow on an outside back covering him, then promptly has him change side of attack. Because, you know, you would not want to condition a defender of Davies that way. You would not want to continue to attack against guy with a yellow, that is not sporting. It is much better to let the rival take turns at the yellows, and keep carving up the kid.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

His coach at the Whitecaps, who I shall not name, regularly sees him draw a yellow on an outside back covering him, then promptly has him change side of attack. Because, you know, you would not want to condition a defender of Davies that way. You would not want to continue to attack against guy with a yellow, that is not sporting. It is much better to let the rival take turns at the yellows, and keep carving up the kid.

 

He's doing it for his development, can't make it too easy for him.

But seriously, that's so f'in dumb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is cool that he really does seem like it all isn't getting to him in terms of thinking he is the finished product.  His on-field growth is proof that he is still putting in the effort to grow and get better, and everything he says (or that is written about him) suggests the kind of humility that will serve him well going forward.  Far better than focusing on growing "his brand", he is focusing on the things that could make him a truly world class talent. 

I heart A.D..

 

Well as far as the future the bigger his stardom grows which it no doubt will then he may not even have a choice in the matter as far as his "brand" growing he may just have to focus on that in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

His coach at the Whitecaps, who I shall not name, regularly sees him draw a yellow on an outside back covering him, then promptly has him change side of attack. Because, you know, you would not want to condition a defender of Davies that way. You would not want to continue to attack against guy with a yellow, that is not sporting. It is much better to let the rival take turns at the yellows, and keep carving up the kid.

 

Whitecaps have a coach?  ...oh yeah, that guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few videos like this have popped up; this one was uploaded yesterday and claims Bayern Munich are interested in Davies. It has 61,000 views.

Using Google to translate the comments it seems as though Davies/Canada/MLS get zero respect in Germany and are basically a laughing stock. Hopefully Alphonso proves them wrong, wherever he goes!

 

Edited by Bertuzzi44
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

A few videos like this have popped up; this one was uploaded yesterday and claims Bayern Munich are interested in Davies. It has 61,000 views.

Using Google to translate the comments it seems as though Davies/Canada/MLS get zero respect in Germany and are basically a laughing stock. Hopefully Alphonso proves them wrong, wherever he goes!

 

 

Imagine if Alphonso he ends up in the Bundesliga anyway and he ends up playing for another team there and actually becomes an even bigger star just by playing in Germany. Just a way to prove them wrong but which German clubs besides Bayern Munich could he go to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tg11 said:

 

Imagine if Alphonso he ends up in the Bundesliga anyway and he ends up playing for another team there and actually becomes an even bigger star just by playing in Germany. Just a way to prove them wrong but which German clubs besides Bayern Munich could he go to?

SpVgg Unterhaching

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another EPL team in need of Davies' services first Man Utd. then Liverpool and Chelsea and now Huddersfield he may as well just go to England

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While it is almost certainly a bullshit tweet, Huddersfield would be a significant step up on the Whitecaps and David Wagner is to Carl Robinson as a Ferrari is to a Skoda. If Davis is to make the roster of a massive team, he’ll almost certainly need a stepping stone club (not many teens get minutes for the biggest teams - even exceptional ones)  to get there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

While it is almost certainly a bullshit tweet, Huddersfield would be a significant step up on the Whitecaps and David Wagner is to Carl Robinson as a Ferrari is to a Skoda. If Davis is to make the roster of a massive team, he’ll almost certainly need a stepping stone club (not many teens get minutes for the biggest teams - even exceptional ones)  to get there. 

Yeah, I have no idea if it is total BS, and I am probably not considering some important things, but a move like that wouldn't actually be bad IMO.  As much as I love the kid, I don't think he is ready to walk into the starting 11 of a top team.  He would likely either play for the reserves, sit on the bench hunting for late sub minutes, or get loaned out.  In contrast, if he ever was signed by a team like Huddersfield -especially for decent money - he would likely be seen as a potential starter and be playing against elite competition.  And they would be fighting for their lives from day one - potentially the kind of environment where Davies would be continually challenged.

Not saying he should make a move like this, but if something like that did materialize I don't think it we should all lament a poor transfer.  At 17 he has years of progression ahead of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should starting for a team/getting max minutes be the #1 priority for Davies? As many have pointed out he still has some holes in his game that he has to develop. Will this be best accomplished playing under pressure with an EPL team or would he be better off developing those aspects of his game with a reserve team for 1 yr or so before making his debut for the first team...like Larin for example? Being exposed to top level coaching and training with the first team may help the transition?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is, we all talk about how we know how players best develop but we really have no clue. 

We look at cases where promising young players go to big clubs and get loaned out and never make the first team, but maybe they just weren't good enough.

We look at young players going to PSV/Ajax and developing really well there, but maybe those clubs are particularly adept at picking players that WILL develop. 

I'd say 95% of how Davies develops depends on his own ability and 5% is on the situation he finds himself in. That being said... I have no clue either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...