Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

Don't underestimate the role of one or a few player mentors setting a good example for him, as well.  I'm guessing that Kamara has been really good in that way, and I think that's a big positive in his own career because in his younger days he wasn't the best team guy, iirc.

Regardless of whom you want to give credit for his development, I'm so happy to see him take his game to the next level in this current (and probably, last) season with the Caps.  I remember saying this about Giovinco:  every time Davies gets the ball and is facing the opponent's goal, he makes you want to rise out of your seat in anticipation of a great run happening.  He's got that "it" quality about him, for sure. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more point that I don’t think has been made. “Development” isn’t a switch that is flicked. More than one club can be involved and get part of the credit. I would give some credit to the Caps as well as to clubs he played with in Edmonton.

What they need to do for Alphonso is build up his brand more. I mean all the young superstars of today's game when they were his age more or less had their own brand like they were represented by either NIKE or Adidas basically getting their name out there as an elite level world class talent. I am basically saying that Alphonso needs to do the same thing. Messi when he was Alphonso's age he was already under Adidas or Ronaldo when he was in that age range he was under NIKE. My point being that if Alphonso wants to be more famous or get his name out there more this is what he needs to do.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, BearcatSA said:

Don't underestimate the role of one or a few player mentors setting a good example for him, as well.  I'm guessing that Kamara has been really good in that way, and I think that's a big positive in his own career because in his younger days he wasn't the best team guy, iirc.

Regardless of whom you want to give credit for his development, I'm so happy to see him take his game to the next level in this current (and probably, last) season with the Caps.  I remember saying this about Giovinco:  every time Davies gets the ball and is facing the opponent's goal, he makes you want to rise out of your seat in anticipation of a great run happening.  He's got that "it" quality about him, for sure. 

Kamara seems like one of those players who is GREAT for young players to be around... for about 8 months. Wouldn't want much more than that.

Kah is still with the team, that's someone good for Davies to be around.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:56 PM, Tg11 said:

What they need to do for Alphonso is build up his brand more. I mean all the young superstars of today's game when they were his age more or less had their own brand like they were represented by either NIKE or Adidas basically getting their name out there as an elite level world class talent. I am basically saying that Alphonso needs to do the same thing. Messi when he was Alphonso's age he was already under Adidas or Ronaldo when he was in that age range he was under NIKE. My point being that if Alphonso wants to be more famous or get his name out there more this is what he needs to do.

Davies has only ever suggested he's wanted to be the best player he can. Just let him focus on that and the rest will come. Chasing sponsors is exactly the advice we dont want him to be doing. Or was this a troll post? please enlighten me.

4 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Kamara seems like one of those players who is GREAT for young players to be around... for about 8 months. Wouldn't want much more than that.

Kah is still with the team, that's someone good for Davies to be around.

Davies has only ever suggested he's wanted to be the best player he can. Just let him focus on that and the rest will come. Chasing sponsors is exactly the advice we dont want him to be doing. Or was this a troll post? please enlighten me.

He should be getting sponsors around him. Think about it. If he wants to be more well known as a player on the World stage then that is what he needs to do. I mean if he's supposedly being touted as a phenom then what's the worst that can happen by him going that route? The world's best players build their brands all the time so of course it was meant to be serious what did you think I meant?

23 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

He should be getting sponsors around him. Think about it. If he wants to be more well known as a player on the World stage then that is what he needs to do. I mean if he's supposedly being touted as a phenom then what's the worst that can happen by him going that route? The world's best players build their brands all the time so of course it was meant to be serious what did you think I meant?

Why would he want to build his brand??? How does that help him become a better player? How about working on his shooting, crossing, free kicks, finding open space, defensive responsibilities etc etc.  Whats the worst that can happen you say, how about he gets a swelled head, takes his focus off soccer, stars believing the hype and becomes just another washed out prospect.  The worlds best players do build their brand.....AFTER they become the worlds best, not just a super hyped 17 phenom who still only has 2 MLS goals to his credit.  What you suggest could very well ensure he doesnt live up to his potential.  Let him keep his head down, feet on the ground and work his tail off.  He is having a break out year, let him finish this year, then transfer out and tear up a tougher european league next year before you start lining up sponsorship deals.  

50 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Based on what I perceived was his "me" guy past, I wasn't sure what kind of a mentor he clearly sees how much his own play benefits from this young guy's service so it's in his best interest to get the most out of him.

Off field mentorship, from someone like Kah, is valuable but nearly as influential as building chemistry on and off the field with an attacking teammate.  So far this year, Kamara has been very beneficial.

50 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Apparently Phonzie is getting a feature on The National on CBC soon. Stay tuned...

??

The things that I was concerned about with his game have all seemingly evaporated from his game in the past 4 months.  I think the only thing that was holding him back from being a sure fire star was doing exactly what he's been doing all season.  Beating players 1 v 1(or 1 v 4) consistently and with skill and technique rather than solely speed.. striking from distance and putting in effective final balls.  

Hopefully we see these things more but it's amazing to see.  I'm sure a lot of clubs were concerned that this might be a guy who needs to sprint a ball in the goal but that strike should answer a lot of questions.  

31 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The things that I was concerned about with his game have all seemingly evaporated from his game in the past 4 months. 

It's almost as if he's a much better player now that he was this time last year, when he relied on his speed and had poor finishing ability. 

Funny how some people don't understand that. @Fullback

12 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Gotta think he's much better than Pulisic was at this age.

/trolling

Well I mean technically.. was Pulisic at any time considered the best 17 year old in the world? The answer is no soo... ;) 

Obviously that's tongue in cheek but you can't rule it out either.  Davies has that freakish Mbappe athleticism that could push him over the top.  Coincidentally, Mbappe would have been arguably the best 17 year old in the world at the time Pulisic was 17 - also the two would be facing off tomorrow if Pulisic chose to play for Croatia.  

13 hours ago, Tg11 said:

The ONLY way a pro athlete can build their brand is to become freaking amazing at their respective sport. Sponsors want to be attached to excellent athletes who perform at the highest levels consistently. This all seems obvious stuff, but Captain Obvious has gotten this all ass backwards. Davies’ brand is ALL about what he shows on game day. What he shows on game day is the product of hard training, careful nutrition and rehab, studying tape and becoming a humble but hungry student of the game. 

7 hours ago, GimliJetsMan said:

Ahem:

HOLY GUACAMOLI

https://streamable.com/dzenz

Holy shit!

i couldn't see the game (MLS is a bridge too far with the WC binge that has been taking place) so thanks for posting.

What the hell kind of sick goal is that?  Surrounded by 3 guys, filthy little flick to get a foot of space, and then a cannon into the far side-netting.

Good god man.

If I loved this kid any more, it would be creepy.

19 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Why would he want to build his brand??? How does that help him become a better player? How about working on his shooting, crossing, free kicks, finding open space, defensive responsibilities etc etc.  Whats the worst that can happen you say, how about he gets a swelled head, takes his focus off soccer, stars believing the hype and becomes just another washed out prospect.  The worlds best players do build their brand.....AFTER they become the worlds best, not just a super hyped 17 phenom who still only has 2 MLS goals to his credit.  What you suggest could very well ensure he doesnt live up to his potential.  Let him keep his head down, feet on the ground and work his tail off.  He is having a break out year, let him finish this year, then transfer out and tear up a tougher european league next year before you start lining up sponsorship deals.  

#FreddyAdu

Saw his highlight reel goal last night against DC United...FUCK JUST WOW I am just so in awe of this kid LMFAO??

Archived