Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Davies will be 25 years old and right in his prime when we host the 2026 World Cup!

Lol how's that for perspective.  In 10 years he'll be Bekker's age...

Is this kid the heir to Atiba's throne?  Definitely has the potential.  

apparently a friend of mine coached with the strikers and said his ability to dribble in tight spaces and run with track speed you just don't see at his age. Just has to learn to pass the ball more, but that will come playing at higher levels. Getting great experience playing in the USL at 15/16.

2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

So Apparently he's going to play in the Voyageurs Cup. As far as I understand eligibility rules, the CSA changed them so something like this would not be able to happen.

I think that it was a MLS Union thing that said that USL players couldn't play in V'S Cup matches, but they've changed that and put rules to allow teams to sign players to short term deals. 

(J) USL SHORT TERM AGREEMENTS

MLS clubs may sign players from their USL affiliate to Short Term Agreements (up to four-day contracts) for CONCACAF Champions League, AMWAY Canadian Championship, U.S. Open Cup, and exhibition matches. An MLS club may sign a player to a maximum of four short term agreements each season (maximum of 16 days).

Players may also be signed to Short Term Agreements for MLS league season games but only in cases of Extreme Hardship.

32 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I really look forward to seeing what Davies can do in the Voyageurs Cup. Wonder if it will be reminiscent of Boakai's performance in 2014.

I'm looking forward to it as well. He's been impressive at USL level. It's crazy to think that he'll still be 2 years younger than Boakai was during that performance. 

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I think that it was a MLS Union thing that said that USL players couldn't play in V'S Cup matches, but they've changed that and put rules to allow teams to sign players to short term deals. 

(J) USL SHORT TERM AGREEMENTS

MLS clubs may sign players from their USL affiliate to Short Term Agreements (up to four-day contracts) for CONCACAF Champions League, AMWAY Canadian Championship, U.S. Open Cup, and exhibition matches. An MLS club may sign a player to a maximum of four short term agreements each season (maximum of 16 days).

Players may also be signed to Short Term Agreements for MLS league season games but only in cases of Extreme Hardship.

I wonder what kind of pay day he'd get from a short term loan. If they throw him a few thousand for the V-cup, it would be a pretty nice dividend for a 15 year old.

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I wonder what kind of pay day he'd get from a short term loan. If they throw him a few thousand for the V-cup, it would be a pretty nice dividend for a 15 year old.

It'll likely be a pro-rated amount of a set upon compensation (probably the MLS minimum). So whatever the length of the MLS season is in days, the 4 days will be divided by the length of the season and that pro-rated percentage will be applied to the agree comp. So let's say 4 days/240 days = 1.67% X $60,000 = $1,000. That amount might even be lower if the wage is the off-budget min.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is anyone else worried like me that his soccer career is going to put a dent on his education? Where are our priorities?<_<

You're worried about his education? Just tell him Jacob Lensky horror stories.

Got about 15 minutes of play in his first team debut and did not at all look out of place. If anything brought a different dynamic to the whitecaps style of play. Robinson should take the risk and put in in the starting 11 for the 2nd leg, even though they need the result he should roll the dice.

he didn't look out of place. nor did he effect the game. Personally I really couldn't take away much from his performance.

Will be interesting to see who Robbo puts out there in the second game. Will say alot about how seriously he's taking the tournament this year.

Also, this probably isn't the thread for it...but man, can at least one of these whitecaps kids we keep hearing are "knocking on the first team door" put in a performance that earns them more time with the first team? Every time they get an opportunity they seem to fall on their face.

12 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Also, this probably isn't the thread for it...but man, can at least one of these whitecaps kids we keep hearing are "knocking on the first team door" put in a performance that earns them more time with the first team? Every time they get an opportunity they seem to fall on their face.

Obviously you didn't hear about the conspiratie against Canadians players...

Archived