Canada vs Ghana Tuesday Oct 13th, Washington DC

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few thoughts:

Aird is an upgrade at right back over Ledgerwood (arguably so is Ouimette)

Hoilett is an upgrade over arguably anyone we have. I would like to see him on one side & Akindele on the other (instead we will see Ricketts though)

Cavallini brings something as a target forward that the others in that position - he can hold the ball up really well & play his team into the game.

Lefevre was also good - I credit him with helping to reduce the number of annoying-as-hell back-passes to the keeper.

Would bring all four into Vancouver.

Froese & Trafford did well, enough to be added to the current player pool but I wouldn't start them ahead of Atiba, Johnson, Osorio & Teibert in the middle. But the possibilities for playing the new (or returning) players mentioned above alongside our regular starting central midfielders & defenders certain is cause of significant optimism. I feel like we have a decent chance to make the Hex now.

• Hoilett-  looked like the difference maker we all hoped he would be. Worked his ass off too.
  • Trafford- really composed and I thought we fell off quite a bit when Bustos replaced him. Bustos isn't ready for this level.
  • Wasn't overly impressed with Aird but was only in when we were starting to have the play go against us
  • Lefevre- solid at the back. Nice tackles and composed on the ball
  • Cavillini looked dangerous with some nice flair and skill. 
  • Froese similar to Trafford. Should be in contention for November 

• Hoilett-  looked like the difference maker we all hoped he would be. Worked his ass off too.
  • Trafford- really composed and I thought we fell off quite a bit when Bustos replaced him. Bustos isn't ready for this level.
  • Wasn't overly impressed with Aird but was only in when we were starting to have the play go against us
  • Lefevre- solid at the back. Nice tackles and composed on the ball
  • Cavillini looked dangerous with some nice flair and skill. 
  • Froese similar to Trafford. Should be in contention for November  

Agree with all your points. I also thought Straith did well too.

Findlay deserves some praise for having the team well trained.

I will reserve judgement on any players or performances until I hear Herculez Gomez's opinion.  All y'all don't know half as much as Herc and he's got his finger on the pulse of the CMNT.

I thought that Rob Friend's opinion was much more important than Herc's. I'm disappointed in you El Hombre.

I will reserve judgement on any players or performances until I hear Herculez Gomez's opinion.  All y'all don't know half as much as Herc and he's got his finger on the pulse of the CMNT.

Exactly.  It's tough to listen to what Floro or anyone thinks until we've heard the opinion of a journey man loser who hasn't scored a goal in years.  24 goals in 127 matches in the USA (that includes A league).. how the hell did that get him a contract in Mexico?  Patrice Bernier almost has a better strike rate as a DM.

How did Herc ever play for Santos Laguna or the USMNT? That's what I find most shocking.  I've never liked the guy and if he was Canadian he would be in the NASL or USL Pro. 

Anyway, I could go on all day about yet another has been taking a spot from a Canadian but I won't. Rather congrats to our boys on a good performance, I didn't get to watch unfortunately but anytime you can draw Ghana it's a good sign.  Both squads were undermanned but it's a game of results.

I don't think anyone will be shocked that Hoilett had a good game for us but the fact that Lefevre, Trafford and Cavallini looked good by most accounts is positive.  That gives us some interesting depth and keeps everyone on their toes. 

Is this Gomez related thread hijaking because he stuck up for osario? 

Vees: Man our team is not good enough

Gomez: Man the Canadian team is not good enough to exclude Osario. 

Vees: Fuck. That. Guy. He can't say that about us. 

Osorio* and no it's nothing to do with that.  More to do with the fact that he doesn't know what he's talking about.  Why should someone (i.e. a nobody) who's been here a few weeks make themselves a focal point of our MNT discussion?

Has Osorio been a stud for Canada at any level?  No.  Does Herculez Gomez know or has he played with any of the players called ahead of Osorio? No.  So he should just keep his mouth shut and get on with the little time that is left in his career.  It's nice that Herculez Gomez rates Osorio and is drinking buddies with him but that doesn't give him the right to make backhanded comments about our MNT.  Could you imagine Marcel De Jong making sarcastic comments on twitter about Feilhaber not being on the USMNT? "Oh the USMNT doesn't need Feilhaber?  I guess beating Mexico and qualifying for the Confederations Cup will be a breeze for them dur hur hur"  No, because it's classless, stupid and a low blow... with or without Osorio qualifying is a very hard task for us and he hasn't shown himself to be a game changer.

Archived