Canada-Belize (R)

Blackdude

I was at the game, not in the Voyageuer's section - so I was able to focus on the entire game. I'm happy my friend decided against seats in that section as I hated the smoke bomb, especially smoking our own goalie. How fucking stupid is that? If that's commonplace, i'll definitely stick around to post but probably will skip the section. Smelled awful too. I have no comments for it ending up on the field. 

As far as the games goes... I thought we played really tentative. We didn't push, maybe because Belize had too many players sitting back. 

Also, the first goal... how did Ricketts get credit for it? I can almost swear that Piette touch the ball, and even if he didn't, I believe it was almost certainly knocked in by a  Belize player.

As for the players;

Larin: Not a good game. Got into good positions a few times, but rushed everything. Needs to be more patience. Also, could have easily been yellowed for an immature "frustration moment." Hope to see his maturity grow.

Issey: I thought he made some great runs and thought he pushed the ball forward. Liked what I saw. I thought his first 15-20 minutes was absolutely dominant before he quieted down. May work better as a fantastic sub, but I liked what I saw either way.

Ricketts: Great speed, but I just can't get on board with him. Far too often he makes a dumb play, gives the ball away, or pushes the ball BACKWARDS. Would be a good late minute sub due to his speed, but I hate him starting. Nice job on the second goal and even the first, even if I don't think he should have got credit for the opener.

Piette: Absolutely fantastic game. Should start next game. He was dominant. Won so many balls. No give-up in his bloodstream. Hustle, hustle, hustle. Had some nice footwork on a couple of runs too.

De Jong: Liked his crosses, hated his little footwork. Some bad decisions with the ball as well. Looked exhausted in the second half. 

Ledgerwood: Best player on the pitch during the game. Was absolutely fantastic. Probably could have done a bit more if people didn't keep giving him awful passes. Was great pushing up the field, smart passes, good crosses, just a fantastic game. Slightly better than Piette.

Straith: Can't ask for anything more. Wasn't challenged an awful lot, but he made good passes. It's hard to rate him (Edgar and Stamma as well). Definitely nothing to complain about. 

Edgar: My favourite player on the team (would be Hume if he was there), but like Straith and Stamma.. he didn't have a lot to do. Loved the effort on the Johnson cross. 

Hutchinson: Best player on the pitch, but because I felt that Canada didn't ever know what there next move was, I felt a loto f his work was wasted and led to nothing. Won a lot of one on one battles and I can't recall any crucial turnovers. Wish he pushed the ball to the middle a little more often.

Johnson: Loved seeing him back in the red and white. Honestly, aside from one terrible turnover, I thought he was the best MF pushing the ball forward. He tried to shoot a few times too, which I liked to see. Get balls on the net. A few really great plays as well. 

Stamma: Poor guy must have been so bored. Impossible to rate him. He looked good standing there!

I don't feel the subs got enough time to do anything, nor did De Guzman. Teibert looked great though in limited minutes. 

If I was coaching, heading into next game i'd go;

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game, not in the Voyageuer's section - so I was able to focus on the entire game. I'm happy my friend decided against seats in that section as I hated the smoke bomb, especially smoking our own goalie. How fucking stupid is that? If that's commonplace, i'll definitely stick around to post but probably will skip the section. Smelled awful too. I have no comments for it ending up on the field. 

As far as the games goes... I thought we played really tentative. We didn't push, maybe because Belize had too many players sitting back. 

Also, the first goal... how did Ricketts get credit for it? I can almost swear that Piette touch the ball, and even if he didn't, I believe it was almost certainly knocked in by a  Belize player.

As for the players;

Larin: Not a good game. Got into good positions a few times, but rushed everything. Needs to be more patience. Also, could have easily been yellowed for an immature "frustration moment." Hope to see his maturity grow.

Issey: I thought he made some great runs and thought he pushed the ball forward. Liked what I saw. I thought his first 15-20 minutes was absolutely dominant before he quieted down. May work better as a fantastic sub, but I liked what I saw either way.

Ricketts: Great speed, but I just can't get on board with him. Far too often he makes a dumb play, gives the ball away, or pushes the ball BACKWARDS. Would be a good late minute sub due to his speed, but I hate him starting. Nice job on the second goal and even the first, even if I don't think he should have got credit for the opener.

Piette: Absolutely fantastic game. Should start next game. He was dominant. Won so many balls. No give-up in his bloodstream. Hustle, hustle, hustle. Had some nice footwork on a couple of runs too.

De Jong: Liked his crosses, hated his little footwork. Some bad decisions with the ball as well. Looked exhausted in the second half. 

Ledgerwood: Best player on the pitch during the game. Was absolutely fantastic. Probably could have done a bit more if people didn't keep giving him awful passes. Was great pushing up the field, smart passes, good crosses, just a fantastic game. Slightly better than Piette.

Straith: Can't ask for anything more. Wasn't challenged an awful lot, but he made good passes. It's hard to rate him (Edgar and Stamma as well). Definitely nothing to complain about. 

Edgar: My favourite player on the team (would be Hume if he was there), but like Straith and Stamma.. he didn't have a lot to do. Loved the effort on the Johnson cross. 

Hutchinson: Best player on the pitch, but because I felt that Canada didn't ever know what there next move was, I felt a loto f his work was wasted and led to nothing. Won a lot of one on one battles and I can't recall any crucial turnovers. Wish he pushed the ball to the middle a little more often.

Johnson: Loved seeing him back in the red and white. Honestly, aside from one terrible turnover, I thought he was the best MF pushing the ball forward. He tried to shoot a few times too, which I liked to see. Get balls on the net. A few really great plays as well. 

Stamma: Poor guy must have been so bored. Impossible to rate him. He looked good standing there!

I don't feel the subs got enough time to do anything, nor did De Guzman. Teibert looked great though in limited minutes. 

If I was coaching, heading into next game i'd go;

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=8n7q

Since Kenny did everything he had to do correctly and made no mistake you should give him a 10 plus a MOTM.

If you look at the highlights you ll see the keeper first saves Larin header than he saves Piette bouncing ball on the line then Ricketts get a shot on the keeper that bounce in the goal. It s clearly Ricketts goal and you can even see Piette telling the ref about it.

BTW, I like your propose lineup .

Since Kenny did everything he had to do correctly and made no mistake you should give him a 10 plus a MOTM.

If you look at the highlights you ll see the keeper first saves Larin header than he saves Piette bouncing ball on the line then Ricketts get a shot on the keeper that bounce in the goal. It s clearly Ricketts goal and you can even see Piette telling the ref about it.

BTW, I like your propose lineup .

Good catch, i only saw it live and it looked like the Belize player booted it in. Glad to see Ricketts that aware, good on him. I'll change his rating to a 7. Still hated how he pushed the ball backwards and continuously turned it over. 

Good catch, i only saw it live and it looked like the Belize player booted it in. Glad to see Ricketts that aware, good on him. I'll change his rating to a 7. Still hated how he pushed the ball backwards and continuously turned it over.

Agree about him as well. I think in these kind of games he wont hurt us because we are always going to dominate possession but against stronger opposition (best example is the GC) I think we need a player with more skills and a better soccer IQ (that s why I like Teibert at this position).

I thought our front 3 lost the ball way too much considering the opposition.

I was fine with the smoke itself in the second half. Not quite sure in the first, given our own keeper, though the wind was mostly to the east.

The smoke itself had a very bitter taste to it compared to usual. Saw security carry out one small child who seemed overcome by it.  Not sure it was the right product - can someone provide the MSDS?

And throwing it on the pitch.  How can anyone be that stupid.  Up 3-0 in a world cup qualifier, and someone wants to give the ref an excuse to do something?

The difference, I'm guessing, is the smoke at BMO is supplied by BMO. I'm sure they did due diligence in finding the mildest stuff that won't bother people.

If smoke is smuggled in by smoke enthusiasts, it may not hold the same consistency.

I saw the can that was throw on the pitch and it looked like the same cool burning stuff we are provided with at bmo. It likely was the quantity dropped at once (we do 1 per cannister at bmo for TFC) making up the different in potency.

Whoever threw it on the pitch must despise going to BMO for tfc games then(if he is a tfc fan) if the smoke bothered him that much. He would be throwing 10 smokes on the field every home game since there is at least that much being lit between 112 114 and 116.

If we get any of that shit in the semis round we may find we get points dropped, there are plenty of precedents, including in the current Euro qualifiers.

The real problem is that people can be drawn into a positive supporting atmosphere by smoke and flares, but they'll just stand there dumbfounded if the ref happens to be destroying their team with crap calls. Because it is easy to jump on the shiny lights and bells bandwagon, but harder to be a hardcore fan where it counts: helping the team win. 

This is especially what irked me watching the Caps this summer, most of the stadium is barely watching the game, and then the louder supporters are just barely focussed on what the team needs to win. Shit that would be scandalous anywhere else just goes by without comment. So there is no union, and that is why there is not one single stadium in MLS where rivals just hate going to play, they are all like Sunday school. 

What visiting keepers and other players had to put up with from the Swangard Southside, often admittedly terribly off colour but very biting, was way "worse" (meaning better) than anything in MLS. Visiting players hated having to deal with that. 

I watched two games, a 5th and a 7th tier match here in Spain last Sunday, each with maybe 200-300 spectators, but the fans were way more into the game and focussed on helping their team win than 90% of the fans trying to be hardline supporters in Canada. One group of 20 visiting fans shifted their focus immediately after the home team scored, their pressure on the ref for every call, whistling rival players wasting time, pushing their own to wake up and push for an equalizer, clicked in literally 5 seconds after the goal that put them down 1-0. That is being a hardcore fan, having the game in your head and knowing what you can do to help; the rest is very wannabe and very decorative but a sign of surface without substance. 

Most fans with the bravado to hail throwing beer at stadium security and smoke on the field are in this category. 

We think if we cheer and shout and chant and have cool banners we are doing the right thing. But the real way to support your team is to instill fear into the rival players, intimidate the ref by pressuring him with boos when he errs (and even if he doesn't), and pushing your team to the next and most immediate objective in the tactical context of the game. The "One more goal" chant late at BMO, and the general push to get from 2 to three, was way more fundamental than all the other BS. Way to go guys, thank god for that at least.

Though I do admit that fans who really do not care that much about results can have a hell of a good time just being hangers on and wannabes at soccer matches in Canada. And I am serious, I am not being cynical, it is fun, even hilarious at times, but it has nothing to do with really supporting a team. It is merely in the category of entertainment.

I liked the smoke. This was the first game I was where the smoke was. I am all for improving the quality of the smoke but getting rid of it completely? If people do not like it, there is a whole stadium where they will not encounter it.

I don't agree, I was far from the supporters section and it reached me and my 4 & 7 year olds. Now they didn't complain and I'm not complaining just saying it really depends on the wind factor. getting up and moving is a tough option for some, newbie fans (the ones CSA and us really need) might not feel that comfortable switching seats to ones that are not their tickets (I saw this first hand when a couple made us move one seat over as we were in theirs even know there was 4 empty on the other side of them, lol).

As I said I'm not complaining, and I think the V's supporter section did an awesome job, was truly amazing, considering size of crowd compared to size of stadium. However....I think hard core fans who can't see that this may be an issue for some, need a reality check and to stop being so short sighted. WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO ATTEND GAMES AND FOLLOW OUR TEAM. Telling those who don't like it to move on, is alienating potential customers, fans, and future V's. This is something we can't afford to do, unless you like your dirty low quality streams and games in our second most popular home ... Florida.

Does that mean dumbing down the support, no.

Sing, cheer, swear, stand, drink beer (not throw it) have a damn good time, even light off smoke. But how about listening to what people around you are saying and taking some feedback, maybe make some changes to what you do, working together to make the atmosphere amazing for all, not just the one small group.

Just a thought.

I watched two games, a 5th and a 7th tier match here in Spain last Sunday, each with maybe 200-300 spectators, but the fans were way more into the game and focussed on helping their team win than 90% of the fans trying to be hardline supporters in Canada. 

To be honest, the only game at BMO where I've seen the supporters get under the skin of the opposing players, was that 10 AM Thursday morning Champions League match against Dallas with only 200 or so in the stands (rescheduled from 8 pm the night before).  And that's because there wasn't the background crowd noise, and they could hear exactly what was being shouted at them, half-way across the pitch.

I have never understood the hard-on for smoke amongst some people. For me personally it simply says, "hoolligans or wannabees". Flags, banners, all kinds of tifo, sure. Smoke? No thanks. Probably because my wife has asthma but I like actually seeing games and not choking. :)

To be honest, the only game at BMO where I've seen the supporters get under the skin of the opposing players, was that 10 AM Thursday morning Champions League match against Dallas with only 200 or so in the stands (rescheduled from 8 pm the night before).  And that's because there wasn't the background crowd noise, and they could hear exactly what was being shouted at them, half-way across the pitch.

The beauty of going to lower tier matches, you can yap at the ref or opposing players and if you keep it up they'll even acknowledge you are pissing them off. You can push yours and they actually respond, often immediately. Make opposing fans nervous with your comments. Great for people who can speak from the diaphram. 

Archived