Canada-Belize (R)

Blackdude

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairly solid performance I thought, especially in the second half. We settled down and started passing after our second goal.

What's always glaringly obvious is the lack of finish and creativity in the final third, which improved after Tiebert was subbed in.

I'll take 3-0. It was realistically what I was hoping for.

Job done. Tough to draw any further conclusions from a match where one team was parking the bus. To the poster above saying Teibert offers more than Ricketts, sure. But not in the role Ricketts was playing in this match. Teibert is unlucky that Johnson and Hutchinson also play in his best position.

Good result. Should be pumping more goals against teams like this, but they came reasonably organised and to play defensive. Was happy with the performance overall. Should be safe going down there to get through. 

- So great to see Will Johnson back. He is an important part of our set up and a difference maker to the team. 

- Another great cameo by Tiebert, much like with the Whitecaps, unlucky not to be starting. He always offers something creative in addition to his relentless energy and defensive work breaking up tackles. 

- Haber is still an absolute waste of a squad place imo. Yeah I know he is our only physical tall, hold up the ball striker (Could argue Larin offers that in addition to all the other things) but he just really isn't any good. Maybe I just haven't watched enough of him but I don't get it. I've seen more from Caleb Clarke and OO would without doubt offer experience to the squad and good backup.  

Teibert offers so much than Ricketts. If we want to build this team to face Honduras, El Salvador and Mexico we need Teibert skills on the wing.

You mean the guy that scored 2 of our goals?

Edit: I do agree though that Tiebert has a creativity and passing vision to his game that we could really use. Shouldn't forget that a couple years back he led the Whitecaps (and was one of the league leaders) in assists. Unfortunately, his game as a winger is too one dimensional. He lacks the pace of a pure winger, he can't beat a 1v1, and he's not enough of a scoring threat. I think for him to truly realizer his potential he needs to start practicing every day hammering balls in from distance (on the move) and timing runs into the box. If he can do this and develop some attacking instincts, to compliment his defensive, work rate and passing/vision, he could develop into an elite MLS central midfielder... and play a very similar two way game to what Johnson has developed. Only probably better. 

Harsh on Ricketts. He seems to have found a bit more instinct in front of goal. Teibert does offer more from a deeper wide position but I think generally Ricketts has looked potentially good with Larin and Tesho I was surprised there was no Tesho. 

Yes for all his faults Ricketts seems to have developed a nice finish which is something we sorely lack in front of net. He also does a very good job of back checking. I also was surprised that there was no Tesho. Perhaps he'll start Tuesday.

I feel like there aren't many of us in the Tosaint Ricketts fan club. Here's something to chew on:

Ricketts: one goal every 219 minutes for Canada

De Ro: one goal every 268 minutes.

One can argue De Rosario played as a midfielder/wide player much of the time but so has Ricketts under Floro. We don't have enough guys that score to have someone like Tosaint be too far from the XI.

For me, it's tough to take much negative from this game. Belize hardly sent a player into our half. I like the way we moved the ball and Atiba and Johnson add a lot of class to our midfield and think we will be even harder to break down than we were during the Gold Cup (although tonight isn't a good indicator). 

I'd also like to see Teibert in Belize and maybe Akindele in for Nakajima-Farran. 

Job done. Tough to draw any further conclusions from a match where one team was parking the bus. To the poster above saying Teibert offers more than Ricketts, sure. But not in the role Ricketts was playing in this match. Teibert is unlucky that Johnson and Hutchinson also play in his best position.

In the next round w ll face tougher oppositions. Sure Ricketts has ton of speed but I think Teibert game (better passer, dribbler and soccer IQ) should help us more on the wing.

You mean the guy that scored 2 of our goals?

I couldn t care less about goals against Belize. It s like saying Kenny has won the starting job with a shutout against Dominica...

I m speaking of his game in general. Yeah, nice he could score but I don t like his game in the build up play. Lot s of bad touches and unless he has space he ll do very little. I just feel Teibert offers much in that regard and has more potential against better team.

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with NF play. Lots of wasted chances. I think he had one give shot on net and a volley that went to the Ferris Wheel. Hope someone else gets to start in his place. Sucks about DeGuzman. Teibert had an impact on the field wish he could start.

People bash Ricketts - and I get it- but at least he scores goals for us (whether or not he only does that against tiny Island nations).

Good

Hutch and Will looked solid

Teibert was good in limited minutes

Bad

Issey was terrible IMO

Larin was poor and wasted some good chances

Would have been nice to see a young guy like Petrasso or Gasparotto get their first cap

Archived