Canada-Belize (R)

Blackdude

Just reminded me.

I'm now willing to entertain the thought that the guy who threw the smoke bomb on the field was drunkenly trying to give it to security and get it out of the section, and failed miserably.

Either he was trying to blame people in 114 and he's an idiot, or he was sick of the smoke and tried handing it to security, and was pointing at the guy who lit it in the first place.

To me it's 50/50. The talking points from that section deplore smoke being thrown on the field and rightly so, but have no problem with illegal smoke being brought in.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beachtory is spot on.

Security in general was so unnecessarily confrontational it was sickening.  After the first half they threw out a family with two young boys and their parents because apparently they lit off a smoke bomb?  I have a hard time believing either of the kids brought it in with their parents (no one in the group had any soccer gear whatsoever, the kid was wearing an Ohio State red shirt).  Then, this jackass security guard named "Danilo" kicks out a supporter trying to stick up for the family.  This made things WORSE, there were literally no problems before this.  After we scored our second goal numerous fans threw their beers at the security guards as they turned towards the pitch.. of course this made security angrier.  When more smoke bombs went off in the second half Mr. Hero Danilo tried to come into the row where they were lit off... I was very proud to see fellow fans stick up for each other, literally they would not let this jackass in the row to kick out anyone with numerous people telling him "get back on the field" to which he obliged and no one else was thrown out.  

The way fans are treated you would think this is 80s England.  There is ZERO violence in the crowd... no one ever attempts to run on the pitch/endanger the safety of the players.  Why do we need security video taping our section and staring us down for 90 minutes?  Whoever threw the smoke bomb on the pitch, bad idea I'm guessing it was a kid though.  Other than that though I don't see ANYTHING that warranted security coming into the crowd or kicking people out.  It's smoke FFS.  

The smoke doesn't offend me whatsoever, it last seconds and if you don't want it blocking your sightline move to another section.. it was really concentrated in 115 wasn't it?  I've never brought anything besides a flag into a stadium but I can say that our players love the ultra support style (I know this first hand from a current MNT player) and I know that everyone else in the stadium likes the smoke too, it gets people talking "Wow, those Canada fans are wild" and it grows our support.   

So: 1) players like it 2) other supporters and people new to CMNT like it 3) If you personally don't like it move away from the area where they are lit off (it's always the same section) 4) smoke in the stands, never on the field because when it's on the field you can cancel out #1

No one is hurt and everyone can go home happy.  

No one wants overzealous security, however I strongly suggest that you look up what Ultra culture around the world really is, and why it's not looked at kindly here. Smoke bombs are a direct way to replicate flares, which have killed people.

Ultra culture has no place in north america, and neither do flares, which is what smoke bombs are trying to replicate. People were throwing beer at security and someone here is suprised that they got their backs up? Seriously?

We live in Canada. BMO is not a South American or European stadium, and thank god for that. If you're acting like a jackass you can and will get your ass tossed. It doesn't matter if you're the president of some fan club. Period.

I thought Issey had a good game. Sure, he flubbed his opportunities but which other Canadian player gets in position to have these opportunities - it reflects on his global experience and football intelligence. He has a craftiness about him and a change of pace that is badly needed on a team that has quite a bit of one dimensional players. And as other have noted, he was part of setting up 2 of the goals.

And I like the smoke but shoudn't be thrown not on the field. 

Issey had an uneven game.  I really would have rather seen Akindele than him.  To me Issey is strictly a reseve player at this point.  He can be a valuable reserve player but he shouldn't be starting.

As for the smoke.  I think it's stupid and it's by a couple wannabe's.  You don't need to be lighting off smoke bombs to be some kind of harder core supporter.  I don't think it adds anything to the fan experience or helps the team in any way.  To me they should not be allowed in the stadium.

Greatly enjoyed the match and the stadium atmosphere.  The Voyageurs ROCK!  I was with my family of four (including 9 and 6 year olds) in the west stands.  Good atmosphere there too, lots of kids, teens, all the way up to seniors.  Smoke in the south end added to the event, although not the one on the field.  I do have to respond to Blue and White Army's comment about the fans in the west, east and north areas.  If you'd rather just have the south end full, you'll never see another CMNT match in Toronto.  You should be pleased that about 9,000 tickets were purchased by non-south enders.  Without us, there would be no game.  Perhaps you didn't quite mean your comment as I took it, and again we loved the singing, chanting, flag waving of the south end, but we need the families to buy tickets in Toronto or hello Vancouver/Edmonton for all WCQs.

Rocket Robin's comments were great but how many people really knew there was a game?  All of Southern Ontario knew there was a Jays game.  There were people in Canada shirts handing out info about the game as we entered the EX (about 3 pm) so I was hoping for a good walkup crowd, but there were probably only 50 Belize supporters there.  Most of the people I know had no idea there was WCQ happening until I mentioned it.  Unfortunately, the Team needs to do well to get the crowd out, not the other way around.

No one wants overzealous security, however I strongly suggest that you look up what Ultra culture around the world really is, and why it's not looked at kindly here. Smoke bombs are a direct way to replicate flares, which have killed people.

Ultra culture has no place in north america, and neither do flares, which is what smoke bombs are trying to replicate. People were throwing beer at security and someone here is suprised that they got their backs up? Seriously?

We live in Canada. BMO is not a South American or European stadium, and thank god for that. If you're acting like a jackass you can and will get your ass tossed. It doesn't matter if you're the president of some fan club. Period.

I know what Ultra culture is, I strongly suggest you do your research on what it is.  Sure there are bad apples in every group and certain countries, but not all Ultra culture is violent or racist.  And for a fact Toronto Ultras have never had any issues of violence.

Who is surprised that security had their backs up?  If you are referring to me please read the post you quoted again, in the sentence I use the phrase "of course" which implies I wasn't surprised: "After we scored our second goal numerous fans threw their beers at the security guards as they turned towards the pitch.. of course this made security angrier." 

Saying smoke bombs are a way to replicate flares, which have killed people is such a moot point.  That's like me saying "Fireworks are a way to replicate bombs, which have killed people so they should be banned worldwide".  Utterly ridiculous argument, but mine would probably hold more weight actually.

We live in Canada, you're right.  That's why we get dominated in our stadium every WCQ and laughed at while we drop points and lose 8-1 away.  New fans love the atmosphere and our players do to... safety has NEVER been a problem among our support and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.  

I know what Ultra culture is, I strongly suggest you do your research on what it is.  Sure there are bad apples in every group and certain countries, but not all Ultra culture is violent or racist.  And for a fact Toronto Ultras have never had any issues of violence.

Who is surprised that security had their backs up?  If you are referring to me please read the post you quoted again, in the sentence I use the phrase "of course" which implies I wasn't surprised: "After we scored our second goal numerous fans threw their beers at the security guards as they turned towards the pitch.. of course this made security angrier." 

Saying smoke bombs are a way to replicate flares, which have killed people is such a moot point.  That's like me saying "Fireworks are a way to replicate bombs, which have killed people so they should be banned worldwide".  Utterly ridiculous argument, but mine would probably hold more weight actually.

We live in Canada, you're right.  That's why we get dominated in our stadium every WCQ and laughed at while we drop points and lose 8-1 away.  New fans love the atmosphere and our players do to... safety has NEVER been a problem among our support and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.  

+1

+1

Greatly enjoyed the match and the stadium atmosphere.  The Voyageurs ROCK!  I was with my family of four (including 9 and 6 year olds) in the west stands.  Good atmosphere there too, lots of kids, teens, all the way up to seniors.  Smoke in the south end added to the event, although not the one on the field.  I do have to respond to Blue and White Army's comment about the fans in the west, east and north areas.  If you'd rather just have the south end full, you'll never see another CMNT match in Toronto.  You should be pleased that about 9,000 tickets were purchased by non-south enders.  Without us, there would be no game.  Perhaps you didn't quite mean your comment as I took it, and again we loved the singing, chanting, flag waving of the south end, but we need the families to buy tickets in Toronto or hello Vancouver/Edmonton for all WCQs.

Rocket Robin's comments were great but how many people really knew there was a game?  All of Southern Ontario knew there was a Jays game.  There were people in Canada shirts handing out info about the game as we entered the EX (about 3 pm) so I was hoping for a good walkup crowd, but there were probably only 50 Belize supporters there.  Most of the people I know had no idea there was WCQ happening until I mentioned it.  Unfortunately, the Team needs to do well to get the crowd out, not the other way around.

+3

+3

Thanks for the best report on the match and only the second one I have seen. Media wise, that same night we had TSN covering Canada Men basketball from Mexico and 2 Canadians playing in the US Open. Yet most of the oxygen was taken up by the Jays, We see this across the board where media attention for club supercedes country, Even the OSA didn't reschedule 3 matches being played that night in League 1.

I do have to respond to Blue and White Army's comment about the fans in the west, east and north areas.  If you'd rather just have the south end full, you'll never see another CMNT match in Toronto.  You should be pleased that about 9,000 tickets were purchased by non-south enders.  Without us, there would be no game.  Perhaps you didn't quite mean your comment as I took it, and again we loved the singing, chanting, flag waving of the south end, but we need the families to buy tickets in Toronto or hello Vancouver/Edmonton for all WCQs.

It was a joke.

I do wish Canadians would learn banter and take the minutiae of life less seriously. Smile!

You should be pleased that about 9,000 tickets were purchased by non-south enders.  Without us, there would be no game.

Despite the back and forth, I do think this is lost on a lot of people. There is an ironically small minority that believe if you're not going crazy for 90 you're wasting your time.

That won't happen until well after we have got out of a group stage at the world cup a handful of times.

Beachtory is spot on.

Security in general was so unnecessarily confrontational it was sickening.  After the first half they threw out a family with two young boys and their parents because apparently they lit off a smoke bomb?  I have a hard time believing either of the kids brought it in with their parents (no one in the group had any soccer gear whatsoever, the kid was wearing an Ohio State red shirt).  Then, this jackass security guard named "Danilo" kicks out a supporter trying to stick up for the family.  This made things WORSE, there were literally no problems before this.  After we scored our second goal numerous fans threw their beers at the security guards as they turned towards the pitch.. of course this made security angrier.  When more smoke bombs went off in the second half Mr. Hero Danilo tried to come into the row where they were lit off... I was very proud to see fellow fans stick up for each other, literally they would not let this jackass in the row to kick out anyone with numerous people telling him "get back on the field" to which he obliged and no one else was thrown out.  

The way fans are treated you would think this is 80s England.  There is ZERO violence in the crowd... no one ever attempts to run on the pitch/endanger the safety of the players.  Why do we need security video taping our section and staring us down for 90 minutes?  Whoever threw the smoke bomb on the pitch, bad idea I'm guessing it was a kid though.  Other than that though I don't see ANYTHING that warranted security coming into the crowd or kicking people out.  It's smoke FFS.  

The smoke doesn't offend me whatsoever, it last seconds and if you don't want it blocking your sightline move to another section.. it was really concentrated in 115 wasn't it?  I've never brought anything besides a flag into a stadium but I can say that our players love the ultra support style (I know this first hand from a current MNT player) and I know that everyone else in the stadium likes the smoke too, it gets people talking "Wow, those Canada fans are wild" and it grows our support.   

So: 1) players like it 2) other supporters and people new to CMNT like it 3) If you personally don't like it move away from the area where they are lit off (it's always the same section) 4) smoke in the stands, never on the field because when it's on the field you can cancel out #1

No one is hurt and everyone can go home happy.  

Security being confrontational, we've all seen that before. They are idiots. 

Your post is also idiotic, what a bunch of contradictory dribble. Security are just guys told to do a job, and obviously poorly trained by someone who probably was not even present. They screwed up, and you condone throwing beer on them? Even the ones who were not doing anything but "staring". That is pathetic. 

If any FIFA official wants they can just report the smoke, or hear the security guards complaints, and we'll get to play behind closed doors in semis. That sounds like Toronto letting us down in a big way once again.

10 thousand for a WC qualifier is plain sad, so glad another city will have a chance when it counts in November.

10,000 for a wcq isnt sad.

Take a look at the avg attendances from euro qualifying in europe.

This isnt a pro north american league. You arent getting 30,000 to watch belize.

Also what if the person who threw the smoke bomb was from ottawa. Or mtl. Or edmonton. But its toronto fault one guy threw a smoke bomb. Give me a break.

10,000 for a wcq isnt sad.

Take a look at the avg attendances from euro qualifying in europe.

This isnt a pro north american league. You arent getting 30,000 to watch belize.

Also what if the person who threw the smoke bomb was from ottawa. Or mtl. Or edmonton. But its toronto fault one guy threw a smoke bomb. Give me a break.

Well said. 10k for Canada v. Belize is pretty darn impressive, actually. It just looked a little sparse because of the stadium capacity. Put those same 10k in a 10k stadia and you'd be thrilled.

then game ends and we exit the seats and proceed through the stadium under the east side heading for gate 1. Met inside stadium around section 108ish by a line of yellow security telling everyone to turn around and go back to the south end and exit there. Into the CNE where to get to the GO train station involves looping through the CNE not along the outside of the stadium.

Good grief ... again?

At the last TFC game, on the second concourse, they stopped anyone heading north towards the stairs to Gate 1, and pushed them out the side.  This created a massive traffic jam of people, at the NW corner of BMO field, where there's too many concessions and not enough space to walk.  We literally spent about 20-25 minutes to go 40 metres. It was getting pretty ugly, people were starting to panic.When we hit the wall of people, I commented to my friend that he was going to be out of luck to catch the GO Train in 5 minutes. In the end, he had to hustle to catch the one in 35 minutes.

If BMO thinks this is the thing to do, then perhaps a complaint is in order about what happened at the last TFC game. I'm not sure security are aware the dangerous situation they created. I think they were trying to deal with crowding issues around Gate 1 - but what they created was far worse and more dangerous.

For future reference, the fastest way out seemed to be out the south gates, and then head along the east side of BMO Field and the Food building.

Oh well ... CNE over for another year.  Thank god ...

Good grief ... again?

At the last TFC game, on the second concourse, they stopped anyone heading north towards the stairs to Gate 1, and pushed them out the side.  This created a massive traffic jam of people, at the NW corner of BMO field, where there's too many concessions and not enough space to walk.  We literally spent about 20-25 minutes to go 40 metres. It was getting pretty ugly, people were starting to panic.When we hit the wall of people, I commented to my friend that he was going to be out of luck to catch the GO Train in 5 minutes. In the end, he had to hustle to catch the one in 35 minutes.

If BMO thinks this is the thing to do, then perhaps a complaint is in order about what happened at the last TFC game. I'm not sure security are aware the dangerous situation they created. I think they were trying to deal with crowding issues around Gate 1 - but what they created was far worse and more dangerous.

For future reference, the fastest way out seemed to be out the south gates, and then head along the east side of BMO Field and the Food building.

Oh well ... CNE over for another year.  Thank god ...

Amen to all of this. There could have been a crush. It was very tight

Archived