Canada-Belize (R)

Blackdude

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with NF play. Lots of wasted chances. I think he had one give shot on net and a volley that went to the Ferris Wheel. Hope someone else gets to start in his place. Sucks about DeGuzman. Teibert had an impact on the field wish he could start.

Agree about Issey.

Those Guatemala and Jamaica results are crazy.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like there aren't many of us in the Tosaint Ricketts fan club. Here's something to chew on:

Ricketts: one goal every 219 minutes for Canada

De Ro: one goal every 268 minutes.

It's about time someone stood up for Ricketts.

One thing I've noticed though is that he seems more of a goal poacher (to me) than a set-up man. His goal against Ecuador (years ago) was a real heads up play. During the Gold Cup, it appeared that he was always driving toward the net from his wide position, instead of looking to pass. I wonder if he would be better suited to move up, as our CF (or is having an attacking winger a good thing?). Cheers!

Haha I remember when Tosaint started out when playing for Poli Timisoara and I was very vocal he play ahead of useless Rob Friend. That his goal rate was higher than Friends 2 goals in like 4 games compared to Friends 1 in 30 caps. I'm sure if he keeps on playing he will surpass DeRo although if you were to make the highlight reel of all his goals it wouldn't be pretty.

People bash Ricketts - and I get it- but at least he scores goals for us (whether or not he only does that against tiny Island nations).

Good

Hutch and Will looked solid

Teibert was good in limited minutes

Bad

Issey was terrible IMO

Larin was poor and wasted some good chances

Would have been nice to see a young guy like Petrasso or Gasparotto get their first cap

I thought Larin didn t do a good enough job at holding the ball up front. He made a nice header that forced a fine save before Ricketts put it in on the first goal. That was pretty much it for him.

I think we ll see Haber start in the away game even if did not do much tonight.

Patrick Kluivert's Curacao one to keep an eye on, they will be in our group if they win. Lost the first leg to El Salvador 0-1, which will likely see them out. Probably a good thing. The fact they got this far is impressive and being the ultimate underdog in our group and with that kind of momentum to thrive on they could be more than a big banana skin. 

3-0 against a team that didn't get a shot all night isn't that bad.  I dont remember Belize getting a good scoring chance.  Proud of the boys, Banged in some gritty rebound/poacher goals, but I wasn't really expecting our guys to look like Arsenal and score wonder GOALAZOS.   And the upgrade in midfield was apparent.  Hutch and Johnson seemed to win the ball back with ease.  Good solid effort, did exactly what they had to do, should be a straightforward 2nd leg and might be able to get Petrasso/Adegubke into the game.  

Negatives: Larin is good, but it will take time for him to become the solid finisher internationally that he is in MLS. But I am glad he is still getting the opportunity now against minnows before the HEX.  Sorry about DEGuz going down, but it opens up a spot for a younger guy.  A few lackluster performances (Issey, Larin, Haber) but overall a solid effort.

Predictions: Tesho in for Issey, Gasparatto/James in for Straith and Tiebert in for Deguzman for leg 2.   

Who's the cunt who threw the smoke bomb on the pitch?

We know who he is. Long-ish time Voyageur by the look of his scarf which was not the standard one. But we know his name and haunts.

He took a smoke bomb that was dropped by someone else and tossed it on the pitch. He then pointed at two uninvolved people as if they had done it.

He will be dealt with.

3-0 is a solid result.  Someone behind me commented 40 minutes in "it should be 5-0"... come on really?  I reminded him that Italy just squeaked by Malta 1-0 and the person said "ya well they're not Gibraltar" ... "well World Cup winners Germany were only up 1-0 on Gibraltar at half time".... 

Jamaica wishes they were us right now.  But let's not laugh... remember 8-1 always.

With the way Floro has this team playing I would be very surprised if we concede to Belize in the 2nd leg.  That's one thing you can't knock Benito for.  

Not to hark on Molinaro again but I couldn't help but pick out this paragraph:

Curiously, Floro used a holding midfielder to shield the back four, almost acting as a fifth defender. At times, Hutchinson was deployed in the role—an odd assignment for Canada’s best attacking midfielder, to say nothing of why Canada needed an extra defender against a side the calibre of Belize.

I don't find it odd at all.. he was played in the same role against Jamaica last year and some of our most dangerous open play was created by him driving forward from midfield and linking with players who had their back to goal and overlaps.  He did the same thing tonight, in fact I bet if you checked his heat map for both games they would be nearly identical (except obviously further up the pitch with the opponent at hand).  He also drives much of Besiktas play from this position when his manager chooses to play him there.  But I guess it's easier to blindly question something than to work it out.  Also we always play a 4-1-4-1, which means there is always a player in front of the backline.. I don't see the value in straying from that to appease certain people and risk conceding.  We created chances and didn't give up any = positive football.  

+1 Keegan's post Re Hutch and brining up Italy vs Malta.  Malta parked the bus and Italy only scored from a cross where half the Maltese players stopped cause an Italian player was down on the pitch, but Italy played on.

Re:Canada

It's never easy to score multiple goals against a team that is parking the bus and playing 10 back sometimes 11 the entire game.  I respect Belize's tactics based off the fact we scored 0 goals at the Gold Cup, it was evident they were playing for 0-0 even 1-0.  At the same time you have to respect Floro's tactics, we still managed some quality chances and our possession build up along the wings was much better then previous games (player selection and tactics?). Very nice set piece tactics on corners, felt like every corner lead to a scoring chance, especially the 2nd half. Players just need to finish on set pieces, that's not on Floro per say, but happy the boys found the back of the net 3 times. 

Also, really happy they dug down deep and found that 3rd goal.   Everyone looked fairly gassed in the 80th + min but the home crowd was rallying the troups for "1 more goal".  Hutch literally echoed what the crowd said like a true leader, and you could see the squad pull themselves up and really push for that goal the last 5 mins. Fitting Hutch got the goal set up by Tiebert, off a corner from a WJ shot. :) 

Just need to stay focused and not be over confident, anything can happen in central America but confident the boys can move on.

I know the sentiment is mixed, but OO really needs one last look w the NT.  He should just publicly apologize for his past shenanigans and tell everyone he is PURE FOCUSED and wants one last chance for his country and will be 100% committed.  I like Larin and Haber but it is evident if we are going to get past the semi-final round we need more options up top. IMO a guy w more experience at that lone striker role, even if it is a late sub, can help the squad.  Just bring him into camp, if wrong attitude or doesn't look good, send him home.  At the same time, maybe he is on Floro's radar and Floro just did not want to disturb the current set-up and rhythm of the team for a WCQ.  Hoping the October friendly happens and IMO that would be the perfect time to have a look at OO.

Another vote to pull Issey... This guy who couldn't make it in MLS just isn't at the level of some other MLS-based players who are warming the bench and who could play out wide. Just a severe lack of quality, composure and creativeness from him tonight - he killed too many build ups with poor passes, crosses or just plain losing the ball... not to mention several weak, weak shot attempts.

Agreed, I like Issey, good for depth, but I rate him better in a 4-1-4-1 formation where he stays out wide.  In a 4-3-3, I would much rather see Tesho in there, Tesho is much more confident and composed in front of goal and around the 18 yard box.

Looking forward to the away match and Floro's tactics and player selection.  Until then.

Great result! I couldn't see the match but happy to see us win for a change.

What is with the smoke bombs guys? Seriously? Ultra culture has no place here in Canada and what could smoke bombs possibly serve to do aside from some loser's lame attempt to replicate flares and dumbass ultra culture? I'm at a loss to understand this.

I love the fact that we have support groups for the Men's National Team, but smoke? WTF?

Archived