2015 TFC Season

Ruffian

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morrow is a left back. Last year's regular right back, Bloom, is hurt although he was supposedly out of favour earlier in the season. I believe the only other real option is Delgado, why did they bother bringing him in if he isn't going to get a look?

Still don't think Vanney has shown enough as coach. And Bezbechenko should be questioned about his ability to acquire talent, as well as for putting Vanney in charge.

Yeah, you are right.  I realized this myself this morning and was hoping nobody had caught my error.  :)

That being said, if you need to play someone out of position at RB, I'd take a LB over a CB, unless the CB has some good speed.  In MLS, you normally need some pace out there or you are going to get burned.  That being said, Castilo's second goal was just as much due to Haglund's bad positioning.

Yeah, you are right.  I realized this myself this morning and was hoping nobody had caught my error.   :)

That being said, if you need to play someone out of position at RB, I'd take a LB over a CB, unless the CB has some good speed.  In MLS, you normally need some pace out there or you are going to get burned.  That being said, Castilo's second goal was just as much due to Haglund's bad positioning.

I thought Morrow did a serviceable job on the right side.

This team is built so poorly. People are fooled by 3 highly paid players but the rest of this team is a mess.

Seems like relying on old and frail players will be this team's downfall (Caldwell, Cheyrou) once again.

It doesn't help that TFC has a bad coach either. Any MLS team with a half-decent manager exposes TFC's weaknesses. Giovinco's 2 moments of brilliance flatters TFC performance overall.

Caldwell has to be turfed at the end of the year. You simply cannot build a defence around a CB who cannot play each and every week.

There were some TFC supporters who thought Hagglund was a better CB than Doneil Henry last year. i wonder if they still feel the same after watching Hagglund's performance last night?

There were some TFC supporters who thought Hagglund was a better CB than Doneil Henry last year. i wonder if they still feel the same after watching Hagglund's performance last night?

I always laughed at this assertion.

To be fair to Hagglund though, he's fuck ups were while playing RB.

As i pointed out last year Hagglund is physically limited. He's a guy who can eventually be a dominant CB using his size, strength and experience muscling guys off the ball, but at this point in his career he's far from dominant and being played out wide severely exposes his lack of mobility.

Caldwell has to be turfed at the end of the year. You simply cannot build a defence around a CB who cannot play each and every week.

He's 34 and had big injury problems last year. If TFC was going to be ruthless, why bother bringing him back this year?

Caldwell had a guaranteed contract for this year; but I believe it's the last one on his deal.  Hagglund is a decent but not great CB but there's just no way he has the mobility to play outside.

I don't know why Morrow didn't play on the right last game.  He at least can hang with the faster players and he's not really the attacking threat that Morgan is from a FB so we're not losing a lot with him crossing off his wrong foot.

Speaking of Morgan- he seems to have found his way again at LB.  He was pretty solid last night with some nice looking crosses as usual.  Defensively he's not the problem either. 

In 1 more appearance Morgan will become TFC's all time leader which really speaks about the team's history. By the looks of it he's going to hold that distinction for a while.

why does Vanney insist on playing a highline with such a slow defense? Every team beats them with balls over the top. This is a strategy rec teams employ when they see the other team has old out of shape guys on their back line. it's laughable they keep giving up so many goals this way.

Speaking of Morgan- he seems to have found his way again at LB.  He was pretty solid last night with some nice looking crosses as usual.  Defensively he's not the problem either. 

In 1 more appearance Morgan will become TFC's all time leader which really speaks about the team's history. By the looks of it he's going to hold that distinction for a while.

2 more appearances and he's the first to hit 100 at TFC. Really astounding that it's taken TFC into their 9th season to do so. Shows the total lack of stability at the club.

Changes (and yet at the same time stability) are needed at the back. TFC lead the league in most goals allowed and they have played fewer games than most teams.

On the other hand, they also league the league in goals scored on the road, and I'm guessing road goals scored per game. I hope they can even increase that production once they finally get home. The way things are shaping up, they will be battling the two expansion teams, Philadelphia, Montreal & Chicago for one of the last two playoff spots, which, despite the defensive train wreck thus far, seems doable to me with all home games still to come & given how those teams are all struggling as well. They will make it very tough on themselves if they lose the final two games of the road trip, both winnable games (against Orlando & Philly).

What was amazing to me in the last game was that the poorest players on the field for TFC all got to play 90 minutes - Hagglund, Warner & Jackson (although Bradley & Altidore weren't far off in terms of completely selfish play between the two of them, seemingly wanting to do it on their own or in combination with each other and no other teammates since they only seem to pass the ball to each other). There's only one player on the team who has the talent to score  all on his own and he's a little Italian guy, not one of the two US national team players.

TFC need to fix that right side of the field, most goals against have come down that side. And strongly consider not playing Giovinco as a striker - putting him as an attacking midfielder means he gets more of the ball and MLS opposition never know what he's going to do with it (neither do his teammates mind you). If Cheyrou is injured don't leave Dike at home to watch the game with Simonin & Usector at the Duke (which is what happened last night), bring up Hamilton, start two strikers, bench Warner and keep Bradley at the back as the d-mid since that is where he always ends up playing anyway. The Bradley-Warner midfield combo continues to pay poor dividends when it happens.

Hagglund also has an assist on Giovinco's goal and I think he set up Moore's sitter that fluffed on.

Young guy, still learning the game

As for Morgan, he's not been tested defensively much, because everyone goes after TFC RB as the weak link. He's not looked so bad, esp offensively.

I can't really comment on his play at I haven't watched a full TFC game this year, but I'm pretty surprised at how much run Morgan has got this year. Frankly I thought he was on his way to Finland or the NASL the way he had been going. Now he'll surely be stapled to the bench if the defensive group ever gets healthy but good for him, I guess, for forcing his way in for now.

Caldwell had a guaranteed contract for this year; but I believe it's the last one on his deal.  Hagglund is a decent but not great CB but there's just no way he has the mobility to play outside.

Caldwell was out of contract and Toronto offered him a new contract.

If Cheyrou is injured don't leave Dike at home to watch the game with Simonin & Usector at the Duke (which is what happened last night), bring up Hamilton, start two strikers, bench Warner and keep Bradley at the back as the d-mid since that is where he always ends up playing anyway.

I've always wondered about this. Is there some stupid MLS rule that only allows travelling teams to bring so many players? This has happened quite a few times in TFC's history where they have had a short bench or listed players on the bench who were never going to play.

If Cheyrou was questionable, why not bring another sub just in case?

They definitely need another CB. They should pursue Edgar if they have cap room and he is out of contract.

They also need a better keeper.

Edgar has only been at Birmingham for one season so I doubt he is out of contract already.

I think he'd be a good organizer and would be a starter-quality CB in MLS, but I don't think he'd particularly excel over here. He doesn't have a lot of pace but his distribution and defending would certainly be adequate. Plus at 28 he is in his prime. For that reason he's an upgrade over Caldwell.

Archived