2015 TFC Season

Ruffian

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are no Canadians on TFC II !!!!

Its a good thing the CSA put rules in place for this. I bet the TFC brain trust would have played mostly Americans if they could have.

I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic. We complained when there was no Canadians on TFC because these same players were playing for TFC II and not TFC.

Not really happy with the Americanization of TFC.

Even the way the club follows Bradley and Altiodore on their national team duty is vomit inducing.

While I agree I also enjoy the fact that they are over promoted in MLS, them being "home" playing in the league, yet every American is chapped that they don't call an American city home.

[Kevin Payne] Get used to  [/Kevin Payne]

I actually don't have to get used to it.

Its making it harder for me to give a fuck about this team.

Not happy about the entire MLS in Canada experience so far to be honest.

Maybe I'm impatient but I'm tired of being told to wait for things to get better.

I actually don't have to get used to it.

Its making it harder for me to give a fuck about this team.

Not happy about the entire MLS in Canada experience so far to be honest.

Maybe I'm impatient but I'm tired of being told to wait for things to get better.

My comment was tongue in cheek remark to poke fun on here.  

But seriously, I agree that this team is becoming too American, but we shouldn't be surprised since decision makers are all Americans (coach, GM and president).  These guys know and more comfortable with US soccer than anything else.   Remember, US players count as domestic players so it make easier for them to sign American players.    

I personally believe we got enough quality from academy side that in few years we will see more Canadian players with first team unless they end up in Europe like Henry (Jordan Hamilton is probably only player who falls under this category).  

This going to be a painful year when comes to first team Canadian content for us.   

As for TFC's Canadian content my guess is that MLSE wants more Canadian players. Looks what's happening with the Raps, Masai Ujiri mentioned a couple weeks ago that they want Canadians playing in Toronto. That's a tougher task than finding Canadian footballers who could play in MLS.

As for TFC's Canadian content my guess is that MLSE wants more Canadian players. Looks what's happening with the Raps, Masai Ujiri mentioned a couple weeks ago that they want Canadians playing in Toronto. That's a tougher task than finding Canadian footballers who could play in MLS.

right now there is too much pressure to make the playoffs, so TFC FO will take the method that makes winning the easiest in their eyes, which is stocking up with MLS ready Yanks for domestic players. fact of life

I am hoping that once TFC consistently makes playoffs, and with TFC II doing a good job of preparing Canadian academy graduates for MLS, we'll get more Canadians in TFC first team. (and with less pressure to win all the time)

Hopefully...

right now there is too much pressure to make the playoffs, so TFC FO will take the method that makes winning the easiest in their eyes, which is stocking up with MLS ready Yanks for domestic players. fact of life

I am hoping that once TFC consistently makes playoffs, and with TFC II doing a good job of preparing Canadian academy graduates for MLS, we'll get more Canadians in TFC first team. (and with less pressure to win all the time)

Hopefully...

The pressure to make the playoffs is very real and for 2 reasons. Most north american sports fans equate post season with a successful season and both Montreal and Vancouver have made it to the post season. I can almost hear the "how hard can it be if 2 teams who joined after us have made it?" type discussions at MLSE. I seriously think you will make it this year. Good luck. 

I sometimes wonder if TFC have relied too much on the draft to improve? Finishing low and getting high picks regularly it could be a management mentality. Once you start finishing higher the picks get further down and you rely on your academy more. The churn in your organization hasn't helped either. You have a great pool of players to draw from for your academy so I expect we'll see more coming up.

There will never be less pressure to win. That is just the nature of the beast. 

we need to keep the pressure on TFC to make sure they keep looking for ways to ensure canadians become consistent contributors. It may be a long time until we have the spine of TFC being canadian, but having more than one Canadian consistently in the starting 11 should be the standard, not the dream.

we've had a former academy player sold who you couldn't even call a consistent starter. And Dero retiring, a player everyone knew was In the twilight of his career when he returned to toronto, has done what we all expected and retired. That is why people are giving the club a free pass?

If at the end of the year Chapman, Morgan, hamilton or some other Canadian has reached the 1000 minute mark in minutes played, I will consider softening my stance but otherwise, it just isn't good enough anymore. I've had enough of "soon there will be more canadians playing". After 9 seasons, I want results, not promises of what is to come.

we need to keep the pressure on TFC to make sure they keep looking for ways to ensure canadians become consistent contributors. It may be a long time until we have the spine of TFC being canadian, but having more than one Canadian consistently in the starting 11 should be the standard, not the dream.

we've had a former academy player sold who you couldn't even call a consistent starter. And Dero retiring, a player everyone knew was In the twilight of his career when he returned to toronto, has done what we all expected and retired. That is why people are giving the club a free pass?

If at the end of the year Chapman, Morgan, hamilton or some other Canadian has reached the 1000 minute mark in minutes played, I will consider softening my stance but otherwise, it just isn't good enough anymore. I've had enough of "soon there will be more canadians playing". After 9 seasons, I want results, not promises of what is to come.

Well said.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of foreigners play soccer my options are endless. I don't have to watch MLS for that. Without the local angle there is no point really.

If feels like we've done more to strengthen the USMNT than we have our own.

We continue to lower the bar. My guess is the same people defending the status quo will be doing the same in 5 years if things do change for the better.

Well said.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of foreigners play soccer my options are endless. I don't have to watch MLS for that. Without the local angle there is no point really.

If feels like we've done more to strengthen the USMNT than we have our own.

We continue to lower the bar. My guess is the same people defending the status quo will be doing the same in 5 years if things do change for the better.

I agree, since moving away, I care less and less about TFC each year due to them being mostly foreigners. One thing that has me excited this year is the USL team. I can watch the matches from the UK and most of the squad is Canadian.

Don't think the CSA will give a shit.

They initially gave a shit, but restrictions on the USL squads to ensure there will playing time for Canadians.

I'm still wondering what happened to the Canadian domestic situation in MLS. Of course our ass-kissing media hasn't really followed up on that story.

They initially gave a shit, but restrictions on the USL squads to ensure there will playing time for Canadians.

I'm still wondering what happened to the Canadian domestic situation in MLS. Of course our ass-kissing media hasn't really followed up on that story.

Oh I mean the CSA won't give a shit about the teams lobbying to remove the quota.

After three games, TFC sits in a familiar position.  I'm curious the fans feelings at this point, given that they are one horrible Whitecaps second half performance away from being 0-3. 

As an outsider, I see an inexperienced coach, a few high profile stars, and a rough start to the league again.  I'm looking at them thinking, "here we go again!"  Not that this is my assessment, moreover it's just that it feels like deja vu.  What are the supporters feeling?

After three games, TFC sits in a familiar position.  I'm curious the fans feelings at this point, given that they are one horrible Whitecaps second half performance away from being 0-3. 

As an outsider, I see an inexperienced coach, a few high profile stars, and a rough start to the league again.  I'm looking at them thinking, "here we go again!"  Not that this is my assessment, moreover it's just that it feels like deja vu.  What are the supporters feeling?

We're starting 7 games on the road while dealing with injuries and international call-ups.  Add the fact we got new players who are still getting used to playing with each other and in the league, no one should be surprise we only have 3 points in 3 games.  Also, let's not forget that TFC have been victim from bad calls that end up making a difference in their result.   

The performance in the loss to RSL was in some ways encouraging but also discouraging. Having 6 starters out of the line-up, including the entire backline, and limiting RSL to very few chances in Salt Lake is actually encouraging. The mentally switching off after scoring an equalizer is discouraging, even with the caveat that most of the team's leaders defensively were not there. (A disappointing outing for Cheyrou though, who was the culprit on the first goal & didn't close down the player making the cross on the 2nd). I was expecting the scoreline to be much worse with TFC out of it by half-time. And even then, the score should have been 2-2 based on legitimate goals scored.

My only criticism of Vanney thus far this year his strange love for constantly using Robbie Findley, who put himself in a good position for a tap-in goal against Vancouver but has done nothing otherwise in three games. I keep thinking that he's the most obvious candidate to be taken off the field in the 2nd half when they are making subs but he stays on.

It's important that the team pick up a couple more wins on this mega-long road trip, but I think they should be able to - it will help when the cavalry arrives in the next match. So far the team has only played 1.5 games with anything resembling their full starting 11 (and they outscored their opponents 3-1 during that stretch) and none at home, so it is tough to say yet how truly good they will be.

Archived