2015 TFC Season

Ruffian

He is a good player. He just isn't worth $6 million per season. Not even close.

I'm not sure why you can't see that. Or why you can't see that is a problem.

And that isn't even bringing up the rumours that he is the defacto GM and is running that team. That would be a massive mistake if true. But considering how inexperienced Bezbechencko and Vanney are it wouldn't be surprising at all. This team is full of Bradley's buddies.

As stated in my previous post, why is his salary a problem? Assuming every DP has the same cap hit.

As for Bradley being the defacto GM that is wild speculation and seems highly unlikely. Realistically Bradley is in involved in a some capacity in player acquisition decisions which is fairly common across pro sports. Players are always trying to recruit better players, happens in NHL, NBA and MLB free agency.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The salary is a problem because the money could have been spent better. Its about the opportunity cost.

For what they are paying him he should be the best player on the pitch most games. That is definitely not the case.

Opportunity cost is what one gives up to chose something else. What did TFC give up to sign Bradley? Was there better players TFC did not sign in order to acquire Bradley? I haven't heard of them passing on anyone but if you have please share.

And for the money Bradley is being paid he absolutely doesn't have to be the best player on the pitch because his salary doesn't matter, only his cap hit matters in terms of the roster, the club and the league. The only people his total salary matters to is the public school teachers of Ontario, Larry Tanenbaum and the shareholders of Bell Media and Rogers. If the Bradley deal turns out to be a bad one it will never stop MLSE from making similar deals in the future.

If the Bradley deal turns out to be a bad one it will never stop MLSE from making similar deals in the future.

LOL.In other words you are saying MLSE/TFC never learn from their past mistakes? I think 8 years of results have shown that to be true.

Seriously though, I think TFC pays too much attention to what level and clubs players have played for and how big their name is instead of analyzing how they will perform in MLS or on their team which is why they make a lot of high priced mistakes. I think it is crucial in MLS to avoid signing high level role players and to use your DP slots on very skilled players. Bradley is a very good destroyer and breaks up a lot of plays and wins the ball but ultimately there are a lot of cheaper guys in MLS who can play that role pretty well. In a team in which the whole lineup is strong such as Serie A a guy like Bradley can be very effective because there are other more skilled players to do what he lacks and there are other high level defenders. No more is required from him than the destroyer role. As an MLS DP a lot more is expected and needed. Even his destroyer role can be ineffective because he can't be everywhere on the pitch and teams can just avoid him on their attacks. Going forward Bradley is fairly mediocre, not bad but not DP level. He is not dominating games or making decisive plays. MLS has a lot of physical athletic players who can destroy and while many might not be able to cut it at Serie A in MLS terms they are not that much of downgrade over him. What MLS lacks is the technically skilled players which is why so many South Americans play well here. Some of them might not be able to hack it in Serie A because there are a lot of other skilled players there and their weaknesses would show more but in MLS they are dominant players. JDG failed at TFC for many of the same reasons Bradley has not been very impressive so far. On the other hand, while TFC overpaid for Giovinco, he does seem to have the skillset to do well in MLS and has been impressive so far. The problem is he is lacking similarly skilled players to play with and how long will a player of that calibre remain happy if TFC's results don't improve and the usual drama occurs. And while you are right that once the cap hit is factored in how much the club pays in excess of that doesn't matter in theory, it does seem to matter a lot in terms of locker room harmony and public perception.

The salary is a problem because the money could have been spent better. Its about the opportunity cost.

For what they are paying him he should be the best player on the pitch most games. That is definitely not the case.

He's a worthy DP. He shows up very well on all of the stats sites and passes the eye test as well. He's far better than de Guzman ever was and is probably the best box-to-box midfielder in the league. His long passing is really underrated especially, I didn't think he was too far off Morales last year in that category. TFC needs to, first, get some familiarity and some home games to settle down a bit, and, second, figure out the keeper, right back and center back spots as well as sit FIndley down. Of course, as soon as that happens the Gold Cup comes up and the team gets torn apart again.

I completely agree with Grizzly's assessment here. Of course he's not a bad player, but no way he was making this kind of money in Italy (nor half of it). And if MLS wanted a posterboy, they should have sent him to LA or something. 

I don't know what's up with the Bendik-haters here. He's strong in one-on-on situations, can pluck a high ball (anybody seen that Sporting-Philly game? My...) and is good value for money. I'd pick him over Bush easily. Having said that, I do blame him for the way he put that wall up which led to the 3rd Chicago goal. 

Opportunity cost is what one gives up to chose something else. What did TFC give up to sign Bradley? Was there better players TFC did not sign in order to acquire Bradley? I haven't heard of them passing on anyone but if you have please share.

For they money they are paying Bradley they could have gotten a better player. The same can be said for Altidore as well. Both of these players won the lottery because of TFC's incompetence.

I don't have any names. But for the money they are paying those 2 players the possibilities are endless.

Why should TFC be the home of over-paying returning Americans? I'm not happy that my club has become that.

Don't forget that the club also gave up Laba to make room for Bradley. Laba is far better value for the money compared to Bradley, in a very similar position.

He's a worthy DP. He shows up very well on all of the stats sites and passes the eye test as well. He's far better than de Guzman ever was and is probably the best box-to-box midfielder in the league. His long passing is really underrated especially, I didn't think he was too far off Morales last year in that category. TFC needs to, first, get some familiarity and some home games to settle down a bit, and, second, figure out the keeper, right back and center back spots as well as sit FIndley down. Of course, as soon as that happens the Gold Cup comes up and the team gets torn apart again.

For the money they are paying him he should be dominating the game. He hasn't really done that since his first couple of games for TFC in 2014.

You really have some pro-American blinders on if you call his performances some of the best in the league at his position.

I completely agree with Grizzly's assessment here. Of course he's not a bad player, but no way he was making this kind of money in Italy (nor half of it). And if MLS wanted a posterboy, they should have sent him to LA or something. 

I don't know what's up with the Bendik-haters here. He's strong in one-on-on situations, can pluck a high ball (anybody seen that Sporting-Philly game? My...) and is good value for money. I'd pick him over Bush easily. Having said that, I do blame him for the way he put that wall up which led to the 3rd Chicago goal. 

The problem wasn't how the wall was set up, it was how Bendik cheated to his right (behind the wall) and had to recover to try to save the shot. If he had stayed where he was initially it would've been an easy save to make for him (probably pushed the shot for a CK).

Yes he's athletic but IMO, he's among the weakest starting keeper in this league. Too many mistakes and apart from his shot stopping abilities the rest of his game is average.

The problem wasn't how the wall was set up, it was how Bendik cheated to his right (behind the wall) and had to recover to try to save the shot. If he had stayed where he was initially it would've been an easy save to make for him (probably pushed the shot for a CK).

Yes he's athletic but IMO, he's among the weakest starting keeper in this league. Too many mistakes and apart from his shot stopping abilities the rest of his game is average.

Its not all Bendik's fault on that goal.

There is also the issue of nobody going out to block or pressure the shot after the initial pass. That is a fundamental thing that has to happen. I'm not sure if that is on the coaching staff of player execution though. My guess is coaching.

I'm not really sold on Bendik but of the list of things I'd improve on TFC he wouldn't be the first.

For they money they are paying Bradley they could have gotten a better player. The same can be said for Altidore as well. Both of these players won the lottery because of TFC's incompetence.

I don't have any names. But for the money they are paying those 2 players the possibilities are endless.

Why should TFC be the home of over-paying returning Americans? I'm not happy that my club has become that.

Don't forget that the club also gave up Laba to make room for Bradley. Laba is far better value for the money compared to Bradley, in a very similar position.

Points 1 and 2 about better players and endless possibilities is all based on speculation and assumption. You're entitled to feel that way, I see things differently.

Point 3 about TFC becoming the home of over paying returning Americans is a broad generalization, TFC have overpaid many players of different nationalities and personally I could care less, my only concern is that the team wins.

Point 4 about Laba is very true but from what I saw from him in a TFC jersey I would have done that deal over and over.

The bottom line is why do people care about what TFC spends? If they make the playoffs this year, does it matter? If they win the MLS Cup does it matter? To complain about what they're spending and what could have been 4 games into the season is fruitless.

The bottom line is why do people care about what TFC spends? If they make the playoffs this year, does it matter? If they win the MLS Cup does it matter? To complain about what they're spending and what could have been 4 games into the season is fruitless.

You are totally wrong on this.

It does matter what is spent on each player.

Its a fallacy to say any money above the cap hit is irrelevant.

You're only as strong as your weakest link.  Look around at the teams who make noise in this league, they're not always great at every position but never bad in a spot for this league. 

For THREE years we've known the problem with this club to be defence and we haven't properly addressed it.  Last year we thought we could slide by with limited defender depth and a last minute right back acquisition.  Orr turned out to be a bust, so what do we do?  Grab Creavalle, who at best is an NASL player in his preferred position of DM and put him at right back! 

Right back has been a glaring issue for a while but what about centre back as well?  Caldwell has been injury prone and is aging and we lost our other starting center back.  So all we did to correct last season's depth was a one for one swap of Henry for Perquis and added Zavaleta as well... great. 

"Don't worry guys!  We'll win every game 5-4, what could go wrong?" 

You are totally wrong on this.

It does matter what is spent on each player.

Its a fallacy to say any money above the cap hit is irrelevant.

Why does it matter and why is it a fallacy?

You keep saying it matters and that Bradley or Altidore's money could have been spent somewhere else but you haven't provided any concrete evidence of players that were passed over or how TFC overpaying two players is going to affect the team.

My only criticism of Vanney thus far this year his strange love for constantly using Robbie Findley, who put himself in a good position for a tap-in goal against Vancouver but has done nothing otherwise in three games. I keep thinking that he's the most obvious candidate to be taken off the field in the 2nd half when they are making subs but he stays on.

He was pretty poor vs Chicago.  

And while you are right that once the cap hit is factored in how much the club pays in excess of that doesn't matter in theory, it does seem to matter a lot in terms of locker room harmony and public perception.

I don't think you have to look any further than the situation with DeRo in 2010 to see that, with de Guzman and Mista on DP deals ahead of him.

I think the new deal is a positive step, with the league minimums, and the maximum amount you can pay a non DP player, and the year by year rising cap...

As has been said before, with the OLD league minimum, some players practically needed a 2nd job just to make ends meet (when you consider the relatively short life of a pro soccer player, they were taking on a lot of risk).  Now they can concentrate on soccer.  $60000 is much more reasonable.

I don't think you have to look any further than the situation with DeRo in 2010 to see that, with de Guzman and Mista on DP deals ahead of him.

That is a valid argument if the rumours at the time are to be believed but I think it has to do more with TFC grossly underpaying a league MVP.

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't understand is why the team is using its RB to fill in for an injured CB and then putting in a slow CB to play RB.  Haglund does not have the pace to keep up with speedy wingers.  As well, if the third best CB on the team is the RB, then we have some issues.

What I don't understand is why the team is using its RB to fill in for an injured CB and then putting in a slow CB to play RB.  Haglund does not have the pace to keep up with speedy wingers.  As well, if the third best CB on the team is the RB, then we have some issues.

Morrow is a left back. Last year's regular right back, Bloom, is hurt although he was supposedly out of favour earlier in the season. I believe the only other real option is Delgado, why did they bother bringing him in if he isn't going to get a look?

Still don't think Vanney has shown enough as coach. And Bezbechenko should be questioned about his ability to acquire talent, as well as for putting Vanney in charge.

Was Hagglund at fault in all three goals? Just saw the highlights. They need to bring in a center back, and maybe a RB, like now. It's too bad that Ronnie O'Brien signed on as a scout for Liverpool, he would have been a good stopgap.

I don't think Hagglund was involved in the 3rd goal. Perquis was messed up by a team mate (I believe it was Warner) on that goal.

Archived