2015 TFC Season

Ruffian

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

u

My point is that these are young players and circumstances change quickly. Larin scored 9 goals in college, did nothing at the U20's and now has 4 goals in MLS. Hamilton had a good scoring rate in Wilmington last year and showed with the U20's he can finish. Last night he looked more dangerous than either Moore or Dike, so yes he should get a chance.

He might have looked more dangerous in that match - however, Vanny gets to see him regularly in training and one would assume that allows for a more accurate evaluation on where he's at.

As a Canadian fan, it's easy to see a preformance like that and form the opinion that he deserves a chance. That's okay - as fans, that's what we do. That being said, the reality of the situation is that Hamilton clearly hasn't done enough with what he's been given to convince Vanny he "deserves" an extended run out. If he had he'd be out there. How could it be any other way?

Vanny is the one he needs to convince - not us. Let's be honest, he doesn't have to do too much to convince US he deserves more of a chance, given who we are :)

He might have looked more dangerous in that match - however, Vanny gets to see him regularly in training and one would assume that allows for a more accurate evaluation on where he's at.

As a Canadian fan, it's easy to see a preformance like that and form the opinion that he deserves a chance. That's okay - as fans, that's what we do. That being said, the reality of the situation is that Hamilton clearly hasn't done enough with what he's been given to convince Vanny he "deserves" an extended run out. If he had he'd be out there. How could it be any other way?

Vanny is the one he needs to convince - not us. Let's be honest, he doesn't have to do too much to convince US he deserves more of a chance, given who we are :)

Isn't that what we're doing here, giving our opinions on what we think should happen? Vanney can think and do what he wants, but in the end I think Hamilton deserves a shot and that's my opinion and nothing you say is swaying me from that.

Spot on. Pointing to him not scoring in USL is pretty silly when he had a great season last year and it's so early... by that logic if we send Moore to play a few games with TFC II and he doesn't score we shouldn't ever give him another first team appearance?

Okay - first of all, how is it silly to point to his USL strike rate this season? If you want to talk about logic, doesn't it make more sense to point to his play this season rather than a year ago? Why would you value his production in the past more than his current production? Doesn't make sense to me.

If Hamilton turns it around as the season goes on, then I believe this talk of more first team action is justified. Until then, he should first prove he's a standout in USL. His season in Deleware is in the past now.

By the way, I see what you're suggesting with the Luke Moore comment. At the end of the day though, it's not that simplistic. You need to consider experience, form in training, chemistry with other players. If you want to be reasonable/unbiased you can't expect Hamilton to now get time over Moore just because he had a better showing vs Man City in a friendly, or because you view Moore's preformances as below par. If you take the canuck glasses off you'd see that wouldn't serve the club best at the moment. Maybe it would be less of a gamble if Hamilton was scoring at will in the USL, or if he was absolutely tearing it up in training.

Isn't that what we're doing here, giving our opinions on what we think should happen? Vanney can think and do what he wants, but in the end I think Hamilton deserves a shot and that's my opinion and nothing you say is swaying me from that.

I guess that is what you're doing then. You're sharing your opinion as a fan that he deserves a shot.

What i'm doing is being realistic and pointing out that in reality he doesn't deserve a shot yet because he hasn't done enough to earn one. That is not my opinion, i'm just explaining what's happening. I'm also challenging your opinion because I believe it's biased, and sometimes it's good to contrast rosy outlooks of Hamilton (or any of our players), with more sober evaluations. It makes player discussions more credible.

TFC II have played 8 of their 9 games on the road. I think i'm going to go with his scoring rate last year for now.

What do you mean by "extended run out"? All i'm asking for is a 15 minute run out tomorrow night and if he does something with it then give him another shot next week. Altidore is out for another 4 weeks and then is going to miss time for the GC so there will be opportunities for everyone. I'm not even sure why we're arguing because there's a good chance Vanney will give him a shot in the next 2 months.

Can't seem to get the quotes to work...Having Kaka feed you the ball doesn't hurt...

Absolutley. If Hamilton and Larin switched places perhaps we'd see the same thing, perhaps not. Who knows? All I can do is tip my hat to Larin since he's making the most of his opportunities. Lucky for him to be in that situation.

He's profiting from a good situation and the experience he's getting right now is seprating him from Hamilton. That's not to say one guy has more potential than the other. Heading into summer, I am less concerned with potential and more concerned with what momentem and experience they can offer right now. For that reason, Larin is much much much more interesting to me right now than Hamilton.

TFC II have played 8 of their 9 games on the road. I think i'm going to go with his scoring rate last year for now.

What do you mean by "extended run out"? All i'm asking for is a 15 minute run out tomorrow night and if he does something with it then give him another shot next week. Altidore is out for another 4 weeks and then is going to miss time for the GC so there will be opportunities for everyone. I'm not even sure why we're arguing because there's a good chance Vanney will give him a shot in the next 2 months.

Extended run out = more minutes with the first team

Well if he gets 15 minutes tomorrow that'd be awesome for us CMNT fans. Yes opportunites open up now with Altidore injured and Dike's missed opportunity (tied to USL club) is Hamilton's gain. He will get minutes no doubt about it.

Under normal circumstances Hamilton wouldn't get a chance - I was just pointing that out. You're saying he deserves a chance because Altidore is out and Dike is tied. I agree with that.

I just feel like the general consensus around here is that Hamilton is better than Larin and I find that to be based on bias or factors that aren't particularly relevent. I feel Hamilton is overhyped.

That being said, I really hope he pulls a Larin and takes his chance when it comes!

Well if Larin's success is all explained by Kaka, let me point out that TFC also has Giovinco who is pretty good at servicing forwards himself yet only Altidore seems able to capitalize on this. It is always good for a striker to get good service but they also have to be able to score when they get it. Whether or not Hamilton has done enough to warrant time on his own, it seems like given the Altidore injury and lack of production from the other forwards that Hamilton should deserve a chance at least as a sub. But hey if TFC wants to keep playing non-scoring forwards that suits me just fine. :)

I've watched almost every OCSC match and to say that Larin is succeeding because of Kaka is a stretch.  Kaka has assisted 1 Larin goal and Larin has assisted 1 Kaka goal.

Obinna, I get that you don't want Hamilton to get a chance yet because his play for II hasn't warranted it.  That is a fair opinion.  My opinion is that this kid is a natural goal scorer who has had a rough start on essentially an expansion team, there's a guy in New York going through the same thing.  I don't agree with babying kids, that's not how it works anywhere in the world.  You give a kid a shot and let him surprise you and if he doesn't at least you tried... you can't say Luke Moore has impressed this season.

I've watched as many OCSC games as I could too.  Larin isn't multidimensional.  I wouldn't expect him to create his own goals with his feet for example, as often as I would expect him to score with service.  He can take balls with his back to goal, but I've yet to see him do really well taking on defenders going towards goal.  (barring maybe a one-touch creating space, which is NOT the same thing.)  He is DEFINITELY a natural goal scorer, but like Haber I think service is a requirement.  Can't get much better than Kaka.  We will be needing providers on the CMNT.

I've watched almost every OCSC match and to say that Larin is succeeding because of Kaka is a stretch.  Kaka has assisted 1 Larin goal and Larin has assisted 1 Kaka goal.

Obinna, I get that you don't want Hamilton to get a chance yet because his play for II hasn't warranted it.  That is a fair opinion.  My opinion is that this kid is a natural goal scorer who has had a rough start on essentially an expansion team, there's a guy in New York going through the same thing.  I don't agree with babying kids, that's not how it works anywhere in the world.  You give a kid a shot and let him surprise you and if he doesn't at least you tried... you can't say Luke Moore has impressed this season.

Did you actually, or did you just catch the highlights?  :rolleyes:

Did you actually, or did you just catch the highlights?  :rolleyes:

I actually have I don't really need to make up watching games  :rolleyes: and although I didn't watch yesterday I did catch the highlights.  Larin is a big part of how OCSC plays as lone striker but to assume that he is succeeding because of Kaka is plain wrong.  Kaka is OCSC he drives the team and is central to the way they play but he isn't serving up goals on a platter for Larin.

madmonte is right that he hasn't shown an ability to run at players but that isn't his role on the team and I wouldn't expect it to be his role for Canada either.  I've seen plenty of examples where he has taken the ball down and made space for Kaka and others, if given the time/space he has also shown an ability to turn and run toward goal (as madmonte said, these one touches into space where he can use his pace).  Of course he needs service as well... how many strikers in the world don't?  Especially as a target man.  

My main knock on him in his first few matches was his off the ball movement but that has improved ten fold already and is the main reason why he has been able to hold down that starting role aside from the goals.  

Reporter script for halftime interviews with TFC:

"So, did you know that Giovinco plays on your team?"

"What's it like playing with Giovinco?"

"That Giovinco's a good player, isn't he?"

"Thanks for this.  That's TFC's __(insert player name)__ here at halftime.  Back to you guys in the booth."

He is worth every dime isn't he? And with that length of his, he wouldn't even make it to college soccer in the US, haha.

Two big errors by Knopka though. Maybe he was having a bad day, but the first goal was an easy pick-up. And with the Opare header it was even more obvious, boy does he look vulnerable with crosses in the box.

Well, I did look at it again and of course the backs don't look good there. But how on earth can you stay put as a goalkeeper when a ball literally drops to the ground 1 meter (!) from your feet?  And then at the second goal (which was disallowed) he tried to make up for his mistake by coming out when he shouldn't have. I know people don't like Bendik but I think Konopkas inexperience is showing here. 

The biggest issue with Konopka is his decision-making in coming out of the goal. He doesn't command the 6-yard box and yet tries to reach balls at the end of the 18 that he can't get to. Bendik was on the bench but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back starting soon.

And yes, getting Chapman minutes is important - not sure who else will play the top of the midfield diamond when Bradley & Osorio are gone for the Gold Cup.

And yes, getting Chapman minutes is important - not sure who else will play the top of the midfield diamond when Bradley & Osorio are gone for the Gold Cup.

I'm sure Vanney would be more than happy to put Jackson or Creavalle there. :rolleyes:

Glad to see Chapman slowly picking up minutes, let's hope it continues. He offers a bit more offensively than Warner, Jackson and Crevalle so he should see a couple starts once the GC rolls around.

He'll most likely be on the Pan Ams squad so he could miss some time too. 

• 3 weeks later...

That was a pleasure to watch. Think I can count the amount of times I've said that on one hand.

Seriously.  At times I was wondering what league/team I was watching.  Great derby all around, quality goal by Oyongo despite our good play but they didn't lose their composure and stuck to their game.  Tied 1-1 at half time and I was happy... our play was that good and you knew TFC would win if it continued.  Bradley and Giovinco... wow.

Altidore had one moment but was useless otherwise.  I've never seen a big man whine more about non-fouls.. like seriously he doesn't even get fouled and cries like he is Henry.  

Morrow had his worst game in a TFC kit IMO.  Creavalle on the other hand was unbelievable, couldn't believe the game he brought.

Archived