2015 TFC Season

Ruffian

After three games, TFC sits in a familiar position.  I'm curious the fans feelings at this point, given that they are one horrible Whitecaps second half performance away from being 0-3. 

As an outsider, I see an inexperienced coach, a few high profile stars, and a rough start to the league again.  I'm looking at them thinking, "here we go again!"  Not that this is my assessment, moreover it's just that it feels like deja vu.  What are the supporters feeling?

Year after year, the management spends lots millions on DP contracts but they don't care to find a competent coach. From what I saw of him, I don't think Nelsen was a good coach, but with more or less 10 games remaining to the end of the regular season while he was coaching TFC for a second year, if there was a chance to make the playoffs, it was with Nelsen all the way. When Bezbatchenko fired Nelsen, I thought TFC chances were done.

To me, Bezbatchenko is responsible of TFC missing the playoffs last year and for not finding a competent coach for this year. Vanney's record  is just horrible and I don't think the team is going to improve with him, so I don't have any hopes to see TFC in the playoffs as long as Vanney will coach this team.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do agree with you on the Nelsen firing, as a change of coaches rarely does anything to improve a teams performance. This year you knew it was going to be hard to gain some momentum with that ridiculous away-stretch. Last game though, with that completely inexperienced backline, they almost got away with a point. That was't too bad. But the pressure on Vanney sure is building already, they must get some points rather sooner than later, or Bez will start panicking again. 

Not worried whatsoever.  We have played 3 road matches and we have 3 points... if we went away and drew the first 3 matches we would be in the same position.  Not to mention we have actually only played 2 matches with our true lineup/squad thanks to MLS international "breaks". 

I don't think Vanney is one of the better coaches in this league but he's stable enough to guide this talented squad through.

As a neutral observer I have found that TFC has never disappointed during it's existence in providing soap opera drama, and this year shouldn't be any different.  My money is that such a situation will center around Bradley.     

Bradley of all people??  I think anyone but Bradley has the potential for drama LOL

Bradley of all people??  I think anyone but Bradley has the potential for drama LOL

Last season Bradley was always good for a referee bashing post-game but this season he's more reserved. Was fun hearing him go off on the refs but I suppose TFC told him to stop getting fined.

Year after year, the management spends lots millions on DP contracts but they don't care to find a competent coach. From what I saw of him, I don't think Nelsen was a good coach, but with more or less 10 games remaining to the end of the regular season while he was coaching TFC for a second year, if there was a chance to make the playoffs, it was with Nelsen all the way. When Bezbatchenko fired Nelsen, I thought TFC chances were done.

To me, Bezbatchenko is responsible of TFC missing the playoffs last year and for not finding a competent coach for this year. Vanney's record  is just horrible and I don't think the team is going to improve with him, so I don't have any hopes to see TFC in the playoffs as long as Vanney will coach this team.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Bezbatchenko is out of his depth. Firing Nelsen was senseless, considering it was a problem he created in the first place with his childish bandstanding 'we need to win'. I thought of that line after every game they lost for the rest of the season. Though I stopped watching. The Nelsen firing was the last straw.

Nelsen wasn't a great coach, but I think he was growing into it. Sam Allardyce seems to trust his judgment, and Sam is worth more than every coach and GM in the entire MLS. Just ask the idiots at Venky's.

Also, if you all want answers to the 'strange' roster choices e.g. creavalle, warner, findley, look no further than the Bezb. Make no mistake, this is his team. Not Vanney's, not even a little bit. Bezb is the analytics guy after all. And if he trades for guys, they better play, because the tarot cards say they should.

But what am I talking about, this is MLS the league run like a cartel. Altidore, Bradley, Gio, DeFoe, they've all been sent in by THE LEAGUE, to stop the bleeding. But it won't work. It never will.

I wouldn't be so sure about that and here's my reasoning.  He's arguably the most influential DP in this league in terms of things other than his own playing and captain-ing responsibilities.  Just adding to the second to last paragraph of Wingback's comments, I'm curious as too how much say he has in the supporting cast around him (heck, I thought he was guy responsible for bringing in Altidore?).

If the team reaches the playoff promised land, all will/should be well, but some sort of dysfunction always seems to be lurking in the shadows with this organization.  And a player having a lot of power in relation to the coaching/management team he's working with (not "under") is usually a lightning rod when a stormy stretch in the season occurs.

If the USL teams don't perform well don't be surprised to see the 3 MLS teams lobby to have less Canadians there too.

Lol, now we're getting too cynical. The USL teams are there primarily for development purposes. The CSA will laugh off any plea by the MLS teams to lower the Canadian content on those teams.

Having spent money on an overrated American player, you decided to go back and do it twice. Meanwhile, Giovinco is producing just as Defoe did,

It's absolutely hilarious too the double standard with Canadians vs. Americans.  Julian De Guzman comes here making $1.6 million and everyone cries how he misses the net and is overpaid...

If an American came to MLS with JDG's resume he gets $5 million MINIMUM and doesn't have a critic.  Seriously Bradley has a ton of similarities to JDG in terms of what he's trying to do out there and you don't hear ANYTHING and the guy makes almost 4x what JDG did.

Creavalle, Morrow and Findley were absolutely horrible yesterday.  Cheyrou had a nice goal and some good passes, but repeatedly gave the ball away.  I lost count of how many point blank shots at goal Bradley had that were blocked.

Frustrating as hell!

It's absolutely hilarious too the double standard with Canadians vs. Americans.  Julian De Guzman comes here making $1.6 million and everyone cries how he misses the net and is overpaid...

If an American came to MLS with JDG's resume he gets $5 million MINIMUM and doesn't have a critic.  Seriously Bradley has a ton of similarities to JDG in terms of what he's trying to do out there and you don't hear ANYTHING and the guy makes almost 4x what JDG did.

Really?  I'm hearing lots of rumblings about Bradley not being special, and why is he making so much for what he does, around here.

It's absolutely hilarious too the double standard with Canadians vs. Americans. Julian De Guzman comes here making $1.6 million and everyone cries how he misses the net and is overpaid...

If an American came to MLS with JDG's resume he gets $5 million MINIMUM and doesn't have a critic. Seriously Bradley has a ton of similarities to JDG in terms of what he's trying to do out there and you don't hear ANYTHING and the guy makes almost 4x what JDG did.

Yeah, Bradley is overrated no doubt. He doesn't really have any good vision. His game is getting the ball (either from a lateral pass from his teammate or he might win a battle against an opposing player) in TFC's half and driving into open space for 10 to 15 meters before making a simple pass to another TFC player. Now, I think a player with this description is a good asset to any MLS team. However, this is not DP material....

I've said it before, I would pick Laba over Bradley any day of the week. Younger, cheaper and less of an ego. Simply does the job of recuperating the ball and keeping things simple with the passing. 

I must admit however that the football TFC plays now looks better than under Nelsen. They want to go forward and the fullbacks look way more offensive. With every loss pressure is mounting though and that is exactly when any experience of the head coach would be valuable. 

This long road trip would test any team, it's just with TFC's history a string a losses feels apocalyptic. An easy fix is to just stop playing bad players like Creavalle and try and find a better keeper and center back at the all-star break. This is certainly the best squad TFC has every had but they need a good season to calm the whole organization down and let the team develop organically.

Really?  I'm hearing lots of rumblings about Bradley not being special, and why is he making so much for what he does, around here.

IIRC, after his return from Brazil, coinciding with the team's poor run of form, culminating in the Kiwi's sacking.

I don't think its really that prevalent. Other than a few posters here and a few off-hand remarks on the RPB forum Bradley has had a free pass so far. Especially from the media who seem too interested in keeping sources than rocking the boat, hell Larson is essentially an FO cheer leader.

Bradley is very good, I don't know how you can look at that team and think he's the problem. He and Cheyrou probably have to develop an understanding but they will be the top central midfield pairing in the league before the season is said and done.

He is a good player. He just isn't worth $6 million per season. Not even close.

I'm not sure why you can't see that. Or why you can't see that is a problem.

And that isn't even bringing up the rumours that he is the defacto GM and is running that team. That would be a massive mistake if true. But considering how inexperienced Bezbechencko and Vanney are it wouldn't be surprising at all. This team is full of Bradley's buddies.

Having spent money on an overrated American player, you decided to go back and do it twice. Meanwhile, Giovinco is producing just as Defoe did,

Why would anyone care what TFC spent on either Bradley or Altidore? Aren't cap hits for DPs all the same? And seeing as MLSE is richer than god what does it matter what their take home pay is? TFC isn't going to stop spending money, look how much they waste on this franchise. Even more staggering is the money they waste on the Leafs, see Nathan Horton, and the Raptors, see Andrea Bargnani trade. The argument should be are they bonfire DPs respective to the rest of the league. In my opinion they are but only time will tell.

Archived