Brett Levis

Dub Narcotic

16 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I attempted to demonstrate that it's unfair to question whether Brett can 'make it' as a professional. He's been one since 2014/15. Regretfully, I used a similar player as a comparison. Apparently that was a mistake. If you don't regard USL as 'professional', than my argument carries far less weight. So be it.  But, that doesn't change my opinion that Levis undoubtedly belongs in the professional game. If he can overcome his fitness issues that he seems to have developed since his injury, I think he'll have quite a successful career.

Well, so far so good in his quest towards a long professional career.

The injuries and inability to get a solid run of games leaves me concerned though.

For me, it’s not that I don’t think he’s capable, it’s just that you haven’t made it until you make it, if you know what I mean. And even then, there is always risk of falling out of the professional game. Look at Jamie Peters. It can happen to anyone, let alone a player who’s played more USL than MLS in his short career thus far. To be fair, Kaye has a similar resume to Levis, but the big difference was his run in the LAFC team. Levis just hasn’t been able to achieve this yet, despite playing decent when called upon. 

That being said, I disagree that it’s necessary for De Jong to make way for Telfer or Levis or any other fringe left back that may be here today and gone tomorrow. I just don’t believe in the idea of giving minutes to young players of the future that have not earned it in the present.

I guess that’s where I stand on it all.

Just now, Obinna said:

Well, so far so good in his quest towards a long professional career.

The injuries and inability to get a solid run of games leaves me concerned though.

For me, it’s not that I don’t think he’s capable, it’s just that you haven’t made it until you make it, if you know what I mean. And even then, there is always risk of falling out of the professional game. Look at Jamie Peters. It can happen to anyone, let alone a player who’s played more USL than MLS in his short career thus far. To be fair, Kaye has a similar resume to Levis, but the big difference was his run in the LAFC team. Levis just hasn’t been able to achieve this yet, despite playing decent when called upon. 

That being said, I disagree that it’s necessary for De Jong to make way for Telfer or Levis or any other fringe left back that may be here today and gone tomorrow. I just don’t believe in the idea of giving minutes to young players of the future that have not earned it in the present.

I guess that’s where I stand on it all.

The argument is fair, as I see it. Let's call up the best we have available, always considering that maybe the rival does not require everyone's presence no matter what, as is this fall's series of matches. 

The thing with Levis is that he needs more games, more continuity. This is probably true for all players coming up, and in his case, after an injury, even more so. At Whitecaps, however, he is not ahead of any of the regular starters, so him getting minutes is positive. 

I am not even sure he is a left back, it may not be his best position on the field. He maybe a mid able to go both ways, maybe not as physical as Piette or MAK, but with some skills on the ball and a good head too, a player for a 4-4-2 on the left side of midfield. Caps do not tend to play that way however. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:44 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The thing with Levis is that he needs more games, more continuity. This is probably true for all players coming up, and in his case, after an injury, even more so. At Whitecaps, however, he is not ahead of any of the regular starters, so him getting minutes is positive. 

After this recent match, I've got a sense that Robbo won't giving him more starts for awhile.

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

It was one bad game, just like Henry had and he came on the starting XI for Aaron Maund who was injured 

I wouldn't even say a bad game, I would say it was a bad play. It happens. I doubt it will change his standing with Robinson.

I do think it justifies his exclusion from the last NT camp though. It may not be fair, but the reality is that more estsblished players, like Henry, can more afford to make such a mistake because their solid performances over the years have earned trust. Levis doesn't have that yet, despite being the same age as Henry. 

Again, this is not to say Brett does not have a future with the NT or Vancouver. Clearly, his club see talent or he wouldn't be on the field.

I just think he's further away than people think at this time. As he racks up more and better experience, my opinion will naturally change.

Edited by Obinna

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, Blackjack15 said:

It was one bad game, just like Henry had and he came on the starting XI for Aaron Maund who was injured 

Much depends on a number of factors but I just feel that Robbo is more likely to go with De Jong again if he is healthy.  If this was early season, maybe he gets him back out starting right away but the gaffer may have a confidence issue at al crucial time for the club and ...the coach's own future.

Edited by BearcatSA

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have to say: that error by Levis was totally out of character, you cannot even argue he is prone to such mistakes since we have never seen them. But still, it does give you the idea that he is lower on the rung than De Jong: but we already know that, don't we?

We haven't seen enough of a sample size against different levels of MLS opposition to know what his character really is.  He switched off on a marking assignment leading to a goal against 10 man Minny earlier in the year and went to a sub role for the next few matches, so that makes me think Robbo might put him back on the sidelines for this next one. 

• 5 months later...

Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow if it was a precautionary move or something more serious.  Either way, his track record for durability is not very convincing.  I fully expect to see, at the least, some LB depth brought in very soon, possibly through a trade for Commissioner Currency. 

• 2 months later...

Came on with 16 minutes to go as a defensive winger with the Caps up by one. Had some decent moments as well as maybe one shaky one. Although he was previously used as a left back, MDS has Ali Adnan there and remember that Levis was very much an attacking midfielder before joining Vancouver. Good to see him make another appearance, and it will be interesting to see where he plays when he does get minutes.

32 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Came on with 16 minutes to go as a defensive winger with the Caps up by one. Had some decent moments as well as maybe one shaky one. Although he was previously used as a left back, MDS has Ali Adnan there and remember that Levis was very much an attacking midfielder before joining Vancouver. Good to see him make another appearance, and it will be interesting to see where he plays when he does get minutes.

That's the first time I've seen him used so offensively, and he was at least noticeable during the short period on the pitch. I've liked Levis whenever I've seen him play for the Whitecaps. He's the type of guy who I think will eventually move down to USL/CPL, and be a class above the rest. 

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

He'd be third choice behind De Jong and Blake Smith

Smith is on loan though, so it's far from guaranteed he'll be back next season, especially with a healthy de Jong cutting into his minutes. He was only signed to replace de Jong in the first place, after all.

10 hours ago, masster said:

So CPL next season for Levis? A year back on the island before a Saskatchewan team comes on board? Or does that make too much sense to actually happen.

I cry because he has so much upside but thats the possible reality. Hasal on loan and Drew Beckie coming back to the province would be a nice Sask core to start with  😃 

I think CPL is surely the most likely brett for minutes next year. Problem isn't talent its being able to last 90 mins by the looks of this season Really hope it works out and he gets back to full fitness. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

I cry because he has so much upside but thats the possible reality. 

An injury prone player who will be 27 next season and is strictly a back up:  I don't see that as having so much upside.  However, I do see him with the Caps next year because he's cheap domestic depth, won't play much behind Adnan, and is good for club p.r. and marketing.  Also, I don't think they have any Academy LB/LWB prospects ready yet for the senior team.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

An injury prone player who will be 27 next season and is strictly a back up:  I don't see that as having so much upside.  However, I do see him with the Caps next year because he's cheap domestic depth, won't play much behind Adnan, and is good for club p.r. and marketing.  Also, I don't think they have any Academy LB/LWB prospects ready yet for the senior team.

Sort of like how Morgan has stuck with TFC for so long.  Kind of a shame really, get a handful of starts, never enough to really put together a good season or two.  But if you get to eventually make 130k, or 75k (Levis), it would be hard to take a pay cut and move down to CPL.  If they were 21, sure, but both might only have a few years left and might not want to take the chance at dropping down and trying to put themselves in the shop window as CPL regulars.  

Not really, he has got under 300min 4 of the last 6 years.  And he's only played for TFC2 twice in the last 2 years.  He's had some injuries like Levis but its got to be tough for those kinds of guys.  Your closer to 30 than 20, cant break into the starting lineup but you are relatively cheap local flavor/handy back up that the team likes to keep around.  It would be tough to take a pay cut to go to the CPL and hope that  the move might slingshot you to something better than what you just gave up.  

Last season: 18 games for TFC, this season 9. And a couple of games for TFC2. 

Anyway Morgan knew exactly what he signed up for. When Levis signed I'm sure he had the intention and believe he'd crack the first team. Now his chances look slim so it might be time to leave.

As I said Morgan knows he won't be the #1 LB but also that he'll get his games in and be part of a potential topteam in MLS. Also, he's getting paid way above anybody in CPL for now. 

• 2 months later...