Brett Levis

Dub Narcotic

Personally, I was really hoping Levis would sign with an NASL club in the offseason as it seemed like that would be a better fit for playing time. I don't see him getting much first team action outside of CCL and Voyageurs Cup games, similar to Ben McKendry, although he may get a cup of coffee with the first team by the end of this year.

Given that Levis has Manneh, Harvey, de Jong, Adekugbe and Davies to compete with on the left side, when these options are all available he's behind them all.

Fantastic! He's a tough, smart, dynamic player that can beat players out wide or through the middle. He delivers a lovely cross, but can also play quick, intricate passes. Levis is a real testament to hard work and dedication, with a truly Canadian development path as well. 

37 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Personally, I was really hoping Levis would sign with an NASL club in the offseason as it seemed like that would be a better fit for playing time. I don't see him getting much first team action outside of CCL and Voyageurs Cup games, similar to Ben McKendry, although he may get a cup of coffee with the first team by the end of this year.

Given that Levis has Manneh, Harvey, de Jong, Adekugbe and Davies to compete with on the left side, when these options are all available he's behind them all.

Adekugbe is on loan at least

16 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Levis has signed with the first team.

I honestly dont think its that far fetched they give him a shot to start over De Jong in the next couple of weeks. With their current form what have they got to lose.

Answer: nothing.

14 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I think Levis is versatile enough to play a few positions. Regardless, Harvey and Manneh are both out with long term injuries, de Jong hasn't exactly impressed, Adekugbe may not return from England, and Davies is 15. I'd say there are minutes there for the taking.

agree with this. Plus Harvey should be on the downward trajectory of his career next season, Sam will stil be out on loan, and the jury is still very much out on if MDJ will stick with the club next season.

Edited by A_Gagne

With de Jong faltering and Morgan looking very MLS 1.0 these days, I'm happy to see another option emerging. He's probably getting a bit old to expect a large degree of development, but we'll need a LB to compete with Morgan for next cycle's 2nd string LB (with a hopefully established Adekugbe ahead of them) 

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Made his MLS debut for the Whitecaps today as a sub at Left Mid. Showed his usual good speed, excellent ball handling and set-up ability. Wouldn't be surprised if he is a regular in the Caps gameday 18 next season.  

Such an amazing rise. Really looks fresh and full of promise. Look forward to seeing him more next year. 

It was a short sample size for minutes played at MLS level and it was a tired, demoralized Portland team but with all that said he looked great for the time he was on the field before he got injured. He has an controlled intensity and quickness that is missing in a lot of players.

Even the SPR announcers, during the USL playoff, noticed and commented that it was obvious why he got the MLS contract. It's simple, he's ready. Today he showed he can play at the MLS level. Looking forward to seeing more next year.

I like his style, you don't see a lot of players with the ability to dribble with the ball and still look up to see the options. However, he can't defend really well, which is kinda a downside for a defender. And he's relatively old, so I can't see the 'Caps having a lot of patience with him. Hope he does well next season. 

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

And he's relatively old, so I can't see the 'Caps having a lot of patience with him. Hope he does well next season. 

Brett Levis turned 23 this year.  Coincidentally, the same age that Erik Hurtado was when he finished up his first season with the Whitecaps.

Patience from the coaching staff ends when you are on the field with the first team in a game. At that point it is do or die time. So far he is clearly in the "do" side of the ledger.

As to his being "old"? He is pretty much the equivalent of a NCAA draft pick. Not old from a playing standpoint. From a development standpoint he may be considered a bit old but he has progressed this year so we'll have to see if he continues on his current trajectory next year.

5 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Brett Levis turned 23 this year.  Coincidentally, the same age that Erik Hurtado was when he finished up his first season with the Whitecaps.

And how many of the Caps supporters on this forum wanted him out of there at that time? But they did the right thing with Hurtado, that's true. That loan-spell did wonders to his confidence. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will be hard to break into the line-up. 

I'm not saying he's old TRM, but he can't be a talent either at 23. And as for the NCAA picks, please. Everything above the 8th pick or so is useless on the short term, and there the real real gems are also the younger ones (usually the highest picks anyway). 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Levis underwent surgery today for a torn ACL that he suffered in the Caps season finale. He'll be back training with the first team in the summer. That's a big blow for him at this stage in his career. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off in the summer.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/11/08/levis-undergoes-successful-right-knee-surgery

On 11/8/2016 at 10:06 PM, Northvansteve said:

Awful news. What's the track record of recovery for players like Levis who rely on speed?

All depending on his particular tear but the average person would have their ACL reconstructed using a 7" portin of their hamstring which would limit speed after recovery. In BL's case I would imagine they'll be using a portion of his patellar tendon which would allow him to maintain his speed and strength.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...