Brett Levis

Dub Narcotic

On 4/28/2018 at 2:07 AM, shamrock said:

Surprising start, he hasn't even been on the bench this season. It sort of worked out though, hope he can continue. 

He looked good tonight! Another solid option if he keeps it up. I suspect Robinson really only sees him as a LB, and thus perhaps not versatile enough for the subs bench. I.e. starting LB or bust for him. 

Not sure about that. Didn't he play on the wing against palace and in the the reserves? Signs point towards him being thought of as a left back but nothing to say he isn't thought of as a winger in the same way DeJong is or Davies and Shea are thought of as left backs. 

He is just coming back from a pretty significant injury which explains why he hasn't been used more or on the bench. Imo. You might be right though. Time will tell now he is clearly close to full match fitness. 

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

He is just coming back from a pretty significant injury which explains why he hasn't been used more or on the bench. Imo. You might be right though. Time will tell now he is clearly close to full match fitness. 

How many games did he play with Whitecaps 2 last season after he came back from his injury?  I read elsewhere that he played quite well during his starts there.

He had some good moments on the ball out there.  I have some questions about his defensive capabilities.  He'll have to get a few more starts against other MLS opponents to see if he consistently has the goods for this level or if he more of a depth player/USL type.

Surprising he rated highest as he not only lost his man on the goal, it was his ill advised jump in that lead to the breakout by the 10 man Minn squad in the first place. That goal was definitely on him so shocking in a 1-0 loss that he is highest rated.  Happy he is playing and I am sure he will learn from his mistakes.  Looked down in anguish when the ball went in.

Lots of good things when he had the ball.  I think he had one underhit giveaway pass but otherwise was solid in that department and his superb cross to Kamara should have resulted in the tying goal.  I still have some concerns with his 1 v 1 defending and getting outmuscled but I think he should continue to see the start at LB.

I guess the goal was on him, but Franklin let Gomez blow by him for an open cross, Aja tittered around the box with his hand up looking for a call as the cross went by him...and when the shot came in he let Ibarra run past him to tuck in the rebound.  At least Waston made a play for the rebound. 

With WC2 he did play some LW, and a few games he and Davies ran wild down the left flank.  Very nice to see him stick with it and finally get rewarded with MLS minutes.  And Telfer made it to MLS as well this season, good year for CDN University grads.  I suspect next year will be even better with the CPL up and running.    

Levis and de Jong are stylistically very different players. De Jong is more solid defensively, his passing and crosses are excellent. Levis is a much better dribbler and can get by one or two defenders and then make a play. Great to see him get a chance to start. 

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I guess the goal was on him, but Franklin let Gomez blow by him for an open cross, Aja tittered around the box with his hand up looking for a call as the cross went by him...and when the shot came in he let Ibarra run past him to tuck in the rebound.  At least Waston made a play for the rebound.    

Levis had a couple of plays in the match where guys went by him to the by line strictly on pace and they were allowed to play in some dangerous crosses.  In that way, he had a bit of a Fraser-Aird-as-RB defensive quality to him, too.  He beat some guys with some confident fakes but the rubber hits the road regarding one on one attacking skill when you are confronted with an RB in a full defensive posture.  However, his strength as a player is definitely with the ball at his feet.

Edited by BearcatSA

4 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Levis and de Jong are stylistically very different players. De Jong is more solid defensively, his passing and crosses are excellent. Levis is a much better dribbler and can get by one or two defenders and then make a play. Great to see him get a chance to start. 

Agreed, and great to see him come back from injury and show well, that could have been career ending. He is talented and has a great upside. Obviously, a player who could play in the midfield as well, though for now getting time at RB is good to see.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Interesting that Shea got the start as the LB replacement for De Jong.

Don't think this is anything more than Carl Robinson's proclivity for MLS veterans, the fact that as a DP Shea should start in these circumstances, and Robbo has been getting huge heat for moving Davies to LB. Also, with Doneil Henry's first start, Robbo may have wanted a veteran presence there. I think Robbo does actually like Levis.

• 2 months later...