Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Impact fans, how did Ouimette look?

Ouimette did well. I was impressed, Camara-Ferrari partnership was bad this year. His partnership with Ferrari was excellent. With that game, he could earn another start in KC next week. I was really surprised that he's playing because Lefevre did play most of preseason at CB. Ouimette won his spot and that's nice to see that from him that he kept doing his thing in training and got rewarded.

I was at the TFC game so I can tell you that Bekker certainly looked good.  Issey, not bad, but didn't generate much.  He is really slightly built so he gets knocked off the ball alot in the physical MLS.  He played 90.  Dero played 60 before coming off injured.  He continues to look a shell of his former self.

I think Bekker does really well in this deeper lying holding mid distribution hub job where he sprays passes around safely and accurately and keeps the possession moving (like Grande, for instance).  But I think he would work even better in a different tactical situation, such as with the Whitecaps are doing under Robinson (double holding mids).  I think back to his time with Piette and the Olympic team forming a two man screen in front of the centre of defence.  However, I think Nelsen prefers more all-around box to box guys working in synch and his go-to pairing will remain Osorio being the partner for Bradley.  The guy Bekker is competing against for time, Hall, is simply an athlete in the Harmse mold (physically strong battler, good engine, but mediocre/poor/inconsistent presence in the passing game, yet minus the red card threat), he is what he is. 

Nakajima-Farran has skills and instincts but lacks the athleticism (that 1 v 1 "shake and bake" burst but also strength on the ball).  

I get the feeling that DeRo is aging faster than a tuna fish sandwich locked in the glove compartment of a black sedan in the middle of the Arizona desert at high noon in July.  His tires appear to be getting rapidly getting bald.  Doesn't play like the same guy involved in those Euro friendlies at the end of last year. 

I think Bekker does really well in this deeper lying holding mid distribution hub job where he sprays passes around safely and accurately and keeps the possession moving (like Grande, for instance).  But I think he would work even better in a different tactical situation, such as with the Whitecaps are doing under Robinson (double holding mids).  I think back to his time with Piette and the Olympic team forming a two man screen in front of the centre of defence.  However, I think Nelsen prefers more all-around box to box guys working in synch and his go-to pairing will remain Osorio being the partner for Bradley.  The guy Bekker is competing against for time, Hall, is simply an athlete in the Harmse mold (physically strong battler, good engine, but mediocre/poor/inconsistent presence in the passing game, yet minus the red card threat), he is what he is. 

Nakajima-Farran has skills and instincts but lacks the athleticism (that 1 v 1 "shake and bake" burst but also strength on the ball).  

I get the feeling that DeRo is aging faster than a tuna fish sandwich locked in the glove compartment of a black sedan in the middle of the Arizona desert at high noon in July.  His tires appear to be getting rapidly getting bald.  Doesn't play like the same guy involved in those Euro friendlies at the end of last year. 

Agreed on DeRo.  I hope it's just the poor surfaces TFC has played on so far but he hasn't looked good.  That open header he missed yesterday really got me wondering.

For me I was watching the Hall/Bekker partnership VERY closely.  It was really all I was watching.  And Bekker's had better everything today...positioning, passing, awareness...and capable of solid free kick situations as well.  I think once Osorio and Bradley are back, Hall is going to end up being the odd man out if there is any justice.  

Bekker's positioning once again led to multiple turnovers where he didn't hoofball, but instead preferred to play his way out of pressure.

Nice to see Hamilton get some minutes.

Over Bekker: He's still a downgrade to Osorio so once he get's fit, he's out. But here's a suggestion: why not move Bekker to the side? He's got a great right leg so he could woop balls in from the right flank. I'm sure Jermaine Defoe wouldn't mind getting some useful service. Bekker would fit perfectly on the far right of a 4-4-2 midfield. Yes he might not have a lot of depth in his game, but Defoe INF/ Rey do, so that's no problem. And he's less of a liability there than in the middle of the park. For that he still looks a bit slow, but those free kicks were pretty impressive.

He looks aged but what Nelsen is asking him to do isn't exactly playing to his strength. Knocking down long balls playing with your back to net.. Never been his stength.

They need to drop him into midfield and quit being married to the 442 regardless of what the players strengths / game situation dictates.

He looks aged but what Nelsen is asking him to do isn't exactly playing to his strength. Knocking down long balls playing with your back to net.. Never been his stength.

They need to drop him into midfield and quit being married to the 442 regardless of what the players strengths / game situation dictates.

Agreed with this.  I wanted to see DeRo out left originally when we signed him, I wonder if he can do the business there or if he's too slow.  Since we basically forfeit possession it means we rely on the counter and in that case he's too slow.  If we were to control matches in the opposition end I think he would definitely be a solid option on the wing. 

Russell Teibert played 45 in the second game against LA. He was once again playing on the left and didn't look that consistent. I hope not but I think he will be on the bench when NRC comes back. Gersh has been outstanding. With Laba, Morales, Koffie claiming spots, which seems likely, that only leaves one spot.

Osorio and Henry both went 90 minutes, Bekker started and was subbed off in the 68th, Issey was subbed on in the 78th and DeRo subbed on in the 87th. TFC lost 1-2 at home to NE Rev. Henry was directly responsible for both goals, the first on a giveaway 30 yards from goal and the other on a handball called for a PK.

Osorio and Henry both went 90 minutes, Bekker started and was subbed off in the 68th, Issey was subbed on in the 78th and DeRo subbed on in the 87th. TFC lost 1-2 at home to NE Rev. Henry was directly responsible for both goals, the first on a giveaway 30 yards from goal and the other on a handball called for a PK.

First one definitely.  Second one I would say he is on the hook as well, but Morrow definitely deserves a blast for a clearance you'd shame a youth league player for.  He headed the ball straight the the penalty spot, when he could have cleared it behind the net if he had the awareness or just to a less dangerous area.  

First one definitely.  Second one I would say he is on the hook as well, but Morrow definitely deserves a blast for a clearance you'd shame a youth league player for.  He headed the ball straight the the penalty spot, when he could have cleared it behind the net if he had the awareness or just to a less dangerous area.  

I don't blame him for the second one either. He was diving to block a shot that was gift-wrapped perfectly to NE by Morrow. Unlucky that it struck his upper arm on the play, but other than allowing the shot to (most likely) go into the net, not sure what else he is supposed to do there. The goat horns on the play go to the guy who inexplicably placed a soft-header into the middle of the penalty area as though it was  a perfect pass to a striker - that's what put Henry in the desperate position to begin with.

All that said, I think only Osorio had a good game amongst the 3 starting Canucks (and arguably, amongst the entire starting 11 for TFC).

Agreed, Osorio was definitely MOTM.  Too bad on what appears to be a serious injury - he had to be carried from the field.  Any word on what happened?

Doesn't seem too serious, they said it was a charley horse. Those usually don't keep you out for several weeks. That said, he is considered "doubtful" for Wednesday.

Tesho Akindele started for Dallas and played 89 minutes in their 2-1 loss at San Jose. He should have scored with his last touch before he was subbed off.

Teibert came on for Pedro Morales in the 82 minute, to help close out the Whitecaps 1-0 win over Columbus.

Lefevre, Ouimette and Tissot all started on Montreal's backline in their 3-0 home loss to Kansas City. Bernier came on for the final 30 minutes.

A good week for Canadian minutes in MLS even with TFC not playing.

Montreal with 3 (including Lefevre, who's only legitimate option is Canada in the future)

Friend, Akindele, Johnson, Opare with starts as well and Teibert off the bench. 

What is going on with Attakora and Porter? Very disappointing especially considering DC hasn't been very special.  Attakora could start somewhere in this league, no doubt about it and Porter scored 3 goals in 2 games in the USL to prove himself you think they would give him a few minutes and he was their joint leading scorer with DeRo last season...

What is going on with Attakora and Porter? Very disappointing especially considering DC hasn't been very special.  Attakora could start somewhere in this league, no doubt about it and Porter scored 3 goals in 2 games in the USL to prove himself you think they would give him a few minutes and he was their joint leading scorer with DeRo last season...

I'm not so sure about Attakora. We've heard that so often how good he is. If he was that good, how come he couldn't start in San Jose? He's overrated especially by TFC fans because he was the kid that was great one year.

Porter is what he is. He's sometimes great sometimes terrible and that's frustrating for any coach.

I'm not so sure about Attakora. We've heard that so often how good he is. If he was that good, how come he couldn't start in San Jose? He's overrated especially by TFC fans because he was the kid that was great one year.

Porter is what he is. He's sometimes great sometimes terrible and that's frustrating for any coach.

Attakora had a great run of starts last year and was MotM in one of them, but unfortunately was concussed in a game vs TFC (also kept him out of Gold Cup). By the time he was available again San Jose had two healthy CB's who are both probably going to be at the World Cup this year. San Jose probably has one of the best CB pairings in the league, so it was never really a great situation for him. The competition at DC is not as good, so he should have a better chance at minutes, but I'm not sure DC will give him much of a shot.

Archived