Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You always get the feeling that this MLS stint is like a "country club" mode for Henry but regardless, I thought Caldwell had some timely challenges against him.

Geez, that was an awful miss by Wright-Phillips, wasn't it?  He could  have fallen and simply let the ball ricochet off his body and create a better goal scoring chance. 

Bekker had a good second half.  

Akindele scores his first MLS goal in a 2-1 loss to LA Galaxy. He might have been a smidge offside, but got in behind the defense in the center of the box. It was easy from there, but he was impressively calm about it.

Opare started for LA, had a yellow card. Didn't watch enough of the game to know how he fared. He was marking Akindele shortly before the goal and Akindele got behind him, but I think he was counting on the offside call. A different defender kept TA onside. 

May 23rd - TFC vs. KC. Bekker starts and is subbed out early in the 2nd half for a striker after TFC go down a goal. Then Henry is subbed on for a striker after TFC go down a man after Caldwell is harshly/unfairly given a straight red (although given that he knew who was reffing - the king of handing out cards frivolously, Baldamero "I'm a Complete Asshole" Toledo, he should have exercised a bit more caution, but still a poor call). Henry is then called for yet another PK late in the game, this time completely ridiculously & unfairly, causing the TFC team & bench to go into a meltdown over how shitty a call it was). KC score on the PK to take the lead again, but somehow TFC pull out a 2-2 draw down a man for 40 minutes, enduring shitty officiating and not being able to string 3 passes together the entire match. De Ro & Morgan un-used subs on the bench while Osorio was out injured.

Jason De Vos by the way, needs glasses - or at least that was the conclusion everyone watching at my place agreed upon.

Its funny, but even the dudes operating the camera's in KC knew what a limelight-stealer Toledo always is since there were more close-ups of him during the game than any single player - and that was just in the first half, where he only made largely insignificant shitty decisions (except for the clear foul on the edge of the box on Defoe that wasn't called - but I digress for this thread).

It's pretty clear that Henry, Rey and Bekker will be bench players when this team is at full strength and that Gilberto was a massive whiff. Shockingly, Luke Moore has been a nice pickup and Daniel Lovitz looks ready to contribute already. This team needs to get itself sorted out but they are the most talented team Toronto has had in several years and are picking up points at a decent pace while they figure it out. Most TFC fans should be relatively pleased how things have gone so far.

Can a Canada-eligible player score two goals in a week without the Voyageurs board noticing it?

Yes, he can!

Ethan FInlay has scored two goals for Columbus in the past week, including one this afternoon against Chicago in his first professional start. Higuain springs him on a through ball in the 10th minute on the right side of the box. He jukes the keeper and then hits net from 10-12 yards. Berhalter calls FInlay Man of the Match and runs on with praise for his progress. 

Tesho Akindele starts and plays 80 for FC Dallas. He was active and had a few good half-chances. His best chance was going in on the keeper at a tough angle with a guy closing. Tried to sneak it under the keeper's hand but the keeper made a solid play. He seems very, very fast. 

EDIT: I'm double-checking on FInlay to see if it is 2 or 3 goals. The broadcast said three. The write-up says two.

EDIT: It appears to be two goals for Finlay.

Nakajima Farran was absolutely robbed of a goal in his IMFC debut last night, it being called back despite his being about 2 meters onside.

Bernier played his usual 90. Issey came on early in the first half due to an injury to Nyassi during the 24th minute.

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2012/01/sacrifice-pays-crews-three-superdraft-picks

"ETHAN FINLAY, forward, 10th overall pick from Creighton:

His father was a Canadian hockey player and the Minnesota-born Finlay (pictured above) first donned skates when he was three. But when the family moved to ice-barren North Carolina, he transferred his abilities to grass."

I had asked him about it on Twitter before and he PM'ed me afterwards. He was definitely interested in the prospect, but the situation is not as cut and dry as it appears. 

I would explain the situation better but because he messaged me in private instead of on my twitter feed or whatever I imagine that he doesn't want it advertised. Maybe someone with better knowledge of immigration laws would want to message him again about it as I had asked him some time ago

I had asked him about it on Twitter before and he PM'ed me afterwards. He was definitely interested in the prospect, but the situation is not as cut and dry as it appears. 

I would explain the situation better but because he messaged me in private instead of on my twitter feed or whatever I imagine that he doesn't want it advertised. Maybe someone with better knowledge of immigration laws would want to message him again about it as I had asked him some time ago

So if there are issues then he probably doesn't have a passport? Does his Dad have a passport or has it expired and he needs to re-apply for Ethan to get his?

Archived