Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

Floro should call findlay up to the national team asap rockey  ....

Along with Opare and Akindele.  Get em capped.

The bar has been set and if a player is good enough for an MLS team they're good enough for at least a cap with us.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Opare is that he doesn't have a passport. Floro has said in the past that he was ineligible to play for us before. We've seen how long it has been with Mallan Roberts to get his citizenship. Wandrille Lefèvre has been here for 10+years and doesn't have a citizenship.

The problem with Opare is that he doesn't have a passport. Floro has said in the past that he was ineligible to play for us before. We've seen how long it has been with Mallan Roberts to get his citizenship. Wandrille Lefèvre has been here for 10+years and doesn't have a citizenship.

Yet Kurt Larson is apparently close and he's been here since 2008...

So unfair.

In this week's semi-Canadian roundup:

Wandrille Lafevre starts and goes 90 for Montreal.

Ethan Finlay goes 89 and gets an assist on the first goal for Columbus against TFC. He did score 3 goals last week - 2 in MLS action and 1 against Dayton in a friendly.

Opare and LA up tomorrow.

In Montreal, Ouimette and Issey start and go 90. A mishandled Issey shot from distance led to JackMac's rebound goal for the 2-0 lead. Bernier got on for 5 minutes.

Akindele started for FCD and I believe he went 90.

Interesting that Akindele seems preferred to Blas Perez at the moment.  Perez is class and for me a top 5 striker in CONCACAF, but he has come on for Akindele a few times and was taken off at half time instead of Akindele due to a red even though he had Dallas' goal. 

Interesting that Akindele seems preferred to Blas Perez at the moment.  Perez is class and for me a top 5 striker in CONCACAF, but he has come on for Akindele a few times and was taken off at half time instead of Akindele due to a red even though he had Dallas' goal. 

I wouldn't read too far into that, just in the sense that playing a man down, you probably want a forward that can cover ground and counter. He has been getting good minutes.

Issey really had a strong game on Saturday, was also man of the match. It has already been mentioned but in the previous game he scored a goal that was disallowed on an offside that was clearly onside by a reffing crew that was incompetent even by MLS standards. Not sure if it is related but since he arrived Romero has also been on fire after being mostly terrible for a year and a half. As I posted earlier if Warner is played as a DMid he is a better player than some give him credit for but if Issey can maintain this type of play we definitely win this trade. Maybe it is the difference in level between international and MLS but I never saw Issey play like this for the national team other than the odd 20 or 30 minute burst. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain this level of play. Also we rested Mapp for most of the game Saturday. It will be interesting to see what our attack is like once we get Mapp, DiViao, Issey and McInerney all on the field at the same time and used to each other. Mapp can be very hard to handle on the right but will be a lot more effective if we have a threat on the left as well.

Teibert goes the full 90 in our 3-3 draw with Philly. He played left mid and that is the best I've ever seen him play at that position. Second assist on the first goal with a beauty of the through ball. He blocked more cross attempts than I can remember anyone else doing in a long time. His defensive game is now very good. 

I know that Tesho started for Dallas and had two good chances where he made a nice play but didn't finish. If he can get the finishing down, he's going to be a pretty good player. FCD won 3-2 over Rapids.

I saw that Finlay started and had a nice layoff for a near assist. But it was a scoreless draw against DCU.

Akindele with the assist tonight against Portland. It was a 60-ish yard run where he turned on the jets and got to the endline. Pushed it back to Perez, who finished. Will Johnson scored a PK. Game ends 2-2. 

Very impressive play. I hope Floro is taking note. This board is probably not making as big of a deal about this young Canuck as we should be.

Anybody messaged Akindele on twitter?  I'm wondering if he is still interested in our program.  While born here he has spent way more of his life down south.

The program is desperate for strikers though, he could probably be starting in the gold cup next summer if he comes into the fold.

Russell Teibert came on at the 75 minute mark for the last 15 in the game against the Impact. Tissot was noticeable in a very good way and despite having 3 very fast player (Mattocks, Hurtado & Manneh) to cover Montreal defended very well. In fact I'd say they out chanced us 6-3 so we were a bit lucky in getting a draw.

Archived