TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

So, what does the starting 11 look like now? Here's how I see the depth chart:

- Defoe / Gilberto up front with Dike/Weideman as depth

- Bradley / Osorio at AM with deRo/Rey as depth

- Jackson / Laba with Hall as depth

- Morgan/Henry/Caldwell/Bloom with Morrow/Elmer as depth (Morrow is probably closer to a starter)

- Bendik on the back end

Thoughts?

-------------Defoe---Gilberto--------------

DeRo----------------------------Rey/Osorio

-------------Bradley--Laba----------------

Morgan-----Morrow--Caldwell-------Jackson

---------------Bendik----------------------

This would be my starting XI at home with Dike as #3 striker; Osorio, Hall and Bekker as backup CM's and Rey and Osorio fighting out for minutes on the right. Henry is the #3 CB and Boss as #4, Elmer backup at LB and Bloom at RB.

On the road i'd move Jackson to RM and stick Henry in at RB to give a more defensive look.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You start out your post by saying he is way, way overpaid and then end it by asking what is his motivation. I think you answered your own question.

haha, ya, I suppose you're right.

One more thought... What American outfield player has played for a club bigger than Roma? Howard played goal for Man Utd, but I think Roma takes the cake for an outfield player.

haha, ya, I suppose you're right.

One more thought... What American outfield player has played for a club bigger than Roma? Howard played goal for Man Utd, but I think Roma takes the cake for an outfield player.

Donovan played a handful of games for Bayern Munich.

-------------Defoe---Gilberto--------------

DeRo----------------------------Rey/Osorio

-------------Bradley--Laba----------------

Morgan-----Morrow--Caldwell-------Jackson

---------------Bendik----------------------

This would be my starting XI at home with Dike as #3 striker; Osorio, Hall and Bekker as backup CM's and Rey and Osorio fighting out for minutes on the right. Henry is the #3 CB and Boss as #4, Elmer backup at LB and Bloom at RB.

On the road i'd move Jackson to RM and stick Henry in at RB to give a more defensive look.

Pretty close to what I had in mind.

I see it like this with the subs in parenthesis:

-------------Defoe(Wiedeman)-----------Gilberto(Dike)-------------

DeRo(Lambe)----------Bradley(Bekker)--------------Rey(Osorio)

----------------------------------Laba(Hall)------------------------------

Jackson(Morgan)----Morrow(Henry)----Caldwell(Elmer/Boss)-------Bloom(Richter)

------------------------Bendik(Konopka)------------------------

I still think that the right fullback needs improvement. I think Richard E. will renegotiate his contract or he's as good as gone. Maybe one more experience center back. I'm not too comfortable with the backup options we have in our midfield. I know some guys are versatile like Jackson and DeRo, but that will leave us short in those other positions. I would like to see 2 more MLS proven versatile midfielders in those positions (not necessarily starters), but I feel TFC is stretched too far financially already.

Third. Plus, they shouldn't count their eggs before they are hatched. On the face of it these seem like good signings but it is one thing to sign a bunch of good players and another thing to form them into a good team. There are going to be a lot of well paid big egos in the dressing room and a lot of guys of varying abilities and styles which may or may not work together and which may or may not be suited to MLS play. This strategy of throwing money around and signing a lot big names at once has failed many times before.

Something tells me that this could become the biggest dog and pony show in the club's history. And that's saying somethin'.

I just wonder if Nelsen will be coaching by season's end.

Luke Wileman reporting on Twitter that Jordan Hamilton is signed to a homegrown contract.

He will be called up to the MNT very soon. Just look at Adekugbe. What a state we're in!

Seriously though, TFC seems to be doing a pretty good job bringing up young players. How many is that now? Say what you will about there "head start" but I think even with just Morgan, Henry, and Bekker, they're doing a better job than Vancouver an Montreal.

Well that's true but the GTA does have the biggest talent pool. But it's a matter of time before Montreal and Vancouver will do their part, they've only just set-up the Academies.

Personally I don't mind the youngsters getting call-ups. Even if only a small percentage will grow to become real contributers, at least Floro is looking to see what's out there. These kids have far better oportunities than the generation before them. I mean, at least now there's USL Pro, NASL and MLS. Kids don't have to flee to freakin Finland just to get a shot in Pro Soccer. I'm fairly optimistic that within 10 years the MNT can be competitive again and get into the hex. After that you'd also need some luck with one or two real gems who can make the difference.

I see it like this with the subs in parenthesis:

DeRo(Lambe)----------Bradley(Bekker)--------------Rey(Osorio)

----------------------------------Laba(Hall)------------------------------

Jackson(Morgan)----Morrow(Henry)----Caldwell(Elmer/Boss)-------Bloom(Richter)

I still think that the right fullback needs improvement. I think Richard E. will renegotiate his contract or he's as good as gone. Maybe one more experience center back. I'm not too comfortable with the backup options we have in our midfield. I know some guys are versatile like Jackson and DeRo, but that will leave us short in those other positions. I would like to see 2 more MLS proven versatile midfielders in those positions (not necessarily starters), but I feel TFC is stretched too far financially already.

VERY close to what I had in mind, but I think they keep Morrow on left.

DeRo(Lambe)----------------------------------------------Rey(Osorio)

-------------------Bradley(Bekker)---------Laba(Hall)-------------------------

Morrow(Morgan)----Caldwell(Elmer)----Henry(Agbossoumonde)---Jackson(Bloom)

If they lose Laba, then Jackson goes where Laba was, and Bloom or Elmer takes over a starting role with Richter as the backup. I'm not sure yet about Elmer, Morrow OR Morgan on the right side, but if Laba goes, someone has to play there, so it remains to be seen who it is.

When it comes to Morrow, though, he's a former MLS all-star at that position, (making him sort of under-talked-about as a TFC signing all things considered), so I keep him left.

TFC might get a player on loan from Roma. Apparently, part of Bradley transfer deal was TFC to take another Roma player (on loan) while TFC players will have opportunity to practice with Roma sometime in the future.

Also, Lewieke said there's more players to come. So save formations until end of the month!

Hagglund is not a GA player and is unsigned by MLS at this point, so he'll be looking to earn a contract. My personal hope was that TFC would draft a GA centreback (AJ Cochran was available) to add salary flexibility. Now Hagglund will have to fit into the regular salary structure under the cap.

Hagglund is not a GA player and is unsigned by MLS at this point, so he'll be looking to earn a contract. My personal hope was that TFC would draft a GA centreback (AJ Cochran was available) to add salary flexibility. Now Hagglund will have to fit into the regular salary structure under the cap.

He won't be on much. $50-70k?

Good pickup as long Orr doesn't cost much on salary cap. We still have another needs on the field that we need to invest properly before being capped out for the season.

Actually my thinking was that RB was one of the positions that could have used improvement the most.

Actually my thinking was that RB was one of the positions that could have used improvement the most.

I agree with this move as I also consider RB one of the positions this team requires a starter at. He has a high salary making him hard to sign unless Blackburn is willing to eat up some of that cost. Another barrier is the jail time he spent in 2005. This might prevent him from getting a working visa in Canada.

Archived