TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice to see Issey at MLS. With the new found depth at TFC, I don't know how or if he will fit. Nonetheless, I want to share my opinion on him and take an educated guess:

First of all, I think the claim that he was a DP level player in Australia is way too flattering. Now to be fair, he was a starter and a key piece on one of the teams near the top of the table during his stay. Some of you may recall a period where he was out of favour, but IIRC this was largely in the Asian Champions League games, where his foreign status worked against him (only a limited number could dress). Overall though his stay down under was positive.

In Cyprus, he was clearly less successful. He was loaned out and really never established himself by all accounts. Although I never watched any of his club games during this time, we probably don't give this league the credit it deserves. The best teams in the league (and he did originally sign for one of the stronger teams) would likely give any MLS team a good game. Therefore I think TFC will pick him up if the price is right....

I wonder how much he would command? Perhaps he would be happy with anywhere from 80,000 to 100,000. Anymore would not be worth it. Also interesting is that I recall reading that he is also an artist (he has his own website no?) When I consider all the unique places he has played at and listen to his interview regarding travelling, I believe life experience is more important to him than building his career as a footballer.

It would be nice to see Issey at MLS. With the new found depth at TFC, I don't know how or if he will fit. Nonetheless, I want to share my opinion on him and take an educated guess:

First of all, I think the claim that he was a DP level player in Australia is way too flattering. Now to be fair, he was a starter and a key piece on one of the teams near the top of the table during his stay. Some of you may recall a period where he was out of favour, but IIRC this was largely in the Asian Champions League games, where his foreign status worked against him (only a limited number could dress). Overall though his stay down under was positive.

In Cyprus, he was clearly less successful. He was loaned out and really never established himself by all accounts. Although I never watched any of his club games during this time, we probably don't give this league the credit it deserves. The best teams in the league (and he did originally sign for one of the stronger teams) would likely give any MLS team a good game. Therefore I think TFC will pick him up if the price is right....

I wonder how much he would command? Perhaps he would be happy with anywhere from 80,000 to 100,000. Anymore would not be worth it. Also interesting is that I recall reading that he is also an artist (he has his own website no?) When I consider all the unique places he has played at and listen to his interview regarding travelling, I believe life experience is more important to him than building his career as a footballer.

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. Issey never has and never will be a DP level player in MLS. But in the A-League he was classified as a "marquee player" which is their equivalent to a MLS DP.

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. Issey never has and never will be a DP level player in MLS. But in the A-League he was classified as a "marquee player" which is their equivalent to a MLS DP.

He wasn't a marquee player. He was just an international player. which is rare because there are only 5 spots Down Under.

He wasn't a marquee player. He was just an international player. which is rare because there are only 5 spots Down Under.

If I remember correctly he was brought in as a replacement for a star player who had moved on to a better league. Although the A-League does not have any official equivalent to a DP he was brought in to be one in effect. As I recall he turned out to be a pretty decent A-League player but did not really live up to expectations in the sense that he was not as good as the star player he replaced. In the end I think Brisbane thought he was not worth the money they were paying him because he was making higher wages than most of the Australian players and while good was not quite the star player they were expecting. I think Issey at the right price (ie. below $100 000) would be a good signing for an MLS team as a sub/occasional starter.

If I remember correctly he was brought in as a replacement for a star player who had moved on to a better league. Although the A-League does not have any official equivalent to a DP he was brought in to be one in effect. As I recall he turned out to be a pretty decent A-League player but did not really live up to expectations in the sense that he was not as good as the star player he replaced. In the end I think Brisbane thought he was not worth the money they were paying him because he was making higher wages than most of the Australian players and while good was not quite the star player they were expecting. I think Issey at the right price (ie. below $100 000) would be a good signing for an MLS team as a sub/occasional starter.

I think you're right on his market value at the moment. It's a shame because if he were an American with the history he's had he would easily command $100k+ and find a club. A perfect example of why we need Canadians counted as domestics league wide.

Reds, Elmer Part Ways

Defender Jonas Elmer made three appearances with one start for the club last season.

Toronto FC announced Friday that the club and defender Jonas Elmer have mutually agreed to part ways.

Elmer, 25, signed with Toronto FC on August 1, 2013 and made three appearances with one start for the club last season. Prior to joining Toronto FC, Elmer played for FC Winterthur of the Swiss Challenge League (second division).

Elmer was not with the club to begin preseason last month.

Source: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/reds-elmer-part-ways

____________________________________________________________________________________

This move frees up an international spot to use on Cesar.

wait...what...you're kidding right...that's yet another player almost everyone on these boards has not only heard of, but probably seen play on television in high profile games. Wow.

He's coming based on reports on MLS site and Toronto Sun. It's only a loan until World Cup.

This is crazy talk. Either Tim Leiweke is giving Don Garber the best blowjobs he has ever had and we'll have 5 DP's to start the season or this is some concocted fantasy story that everyone is falling for hook-line and sinker.

"QPR were keen to sell Cesar during the summer transfer window in order to get his £90,000-a-week salary off the wage bill, but none of the interested clubs were able to agree a deal with the 34-year-old."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/julio-cesar-ready-to-knuckle-down-at-qpr-8799358.html

Now the Sun is reporting it as a done deal and Laba will be out by March 1st - likely being loaned out. So that will leave us with 4 DP's.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/07/toronto-fc-grabs-brazilian-goalkeeper-julio-cesar

"The Toronto Sun has also confirmed young Designated Player Matias Laba will be offloaded by March 1, preferably by loan."

If QPR continue to pay his entire salary, is he a DP? Seems unfair, with NYCFC lurking in the shadows, but maybe this is the new normal.

Is that the case though? I've read 5 articles and none of them say anything about QPR paying his wage. Even then, it would be an LA getting Juninho for 40K cap circumvention and Leiweke is still blowing Garber. As a TFC fan i like it, but this is getting ridiculous.

The league isn't going to say no to bringing in Julio Cesar. That is HUGE, the chance for an MLS team's name next to the (likely) starting keeper of Brazil in the 2014 World Cup... how incredible does that sound.

Obviously Ryan Nelsen had huge influence in this move so it's not like the league will make Julio Cesar go elsewhere and they'll probably just try to "sneak" away with it by calling it a loan and never releasing the terms of the deal. Or they'll invent an additional "loan" DP rule.

TFC goes from being a team unheard of in the World to a team that millions around the world will have heard of by this summer.

The league isn't going to say no to bringing in Julio Cesar. That is HUGE, the chance for an MLS team's name next to the (likely) starting keeper of Brazil in the 2014 World Cup... how incredible does that sound.

Obviously Ryan Nelsen had huge influence in this move so it's not like the league will make Julio Cesar go elsewhere and they'll probably just try to "sneak" away with it by calling it a loan and never releasing the terms of the deal. Or they'll invent an additional "loan" DP rule.

TFC goes from being a team unheard of in the World to a team that millions around the world will have heard of by this summer.

Anyone listening to Sirius FC lately? They talk about Toronto FC more than all the other MLS teams combined. Last week they were still talking about the move TFC made and the impending Laba decision. This morning they were going banana's talking about Cesar coming here.

This must be on a free loan, otherwise I don't have any idea how it could work out.

Nakajima had glowing report from last week. Still think he would be a nice option to have in a Caps jersey:

Tonight trialist Issey Nakajima-Farran owned the wings, it didn’t matter if it was the left or the right, when he was on flank, he took the space and made it his own. The Canadian International could have ended the night with a pair of goals if it wasn’t for solid goalkeeping from DC United keeper Joe Willis.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/preseason-florida-toronto-fc-defeat-dc-united-1-0

Is that the case though? I've read 5 articles and none of them say anything about QPR paying his wage. Even then, it would be an LA getting Juninho for 40K cap circumvention and Leiweke is still blowing Garber. As a TFC fan i like it, but this is getting ridiculous.

I believe it's possible in this case. QPR want to unload Cesar and his massive contract, that becomes even less likely if he's not playing at the club level or if he doesn't play for Brazil in the WC. TFC was probably an option of last resort. It allows him to keep playing and try to find his form prior to the summer.

He might be a great marketing chip but I highly doubt TFC would take on the amount QPR is paying him or even a decent fraction of it.

Archived