TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
" under current management there was no chance that there would be improvement."

Is there anything that would suggests this isn't the truth?

Yes. I feel comfortable saying definitively, that no one else can say definitively that this team will not improve.

Where was that statement from again?

This article on CSN:

"All for Naught: TFC's pursuit of Gilardino derailed by local voices"

I'm not doubting its validity, because I know the author has his sources and he has been right in the past more often than not. The thought of the player not picking TFC based on mom and pap arguments when the mountain of money and a beautiful city for him to retire in is waiting, is just ridiculous. He's 31 and soon to retire from the national team. He's done, just coast into retirement, collect and be happy ala Henry in NYC.

Rant over

Other RPB have corroborated this story

Because fan forums are such a reliable information source? But I did actually look on the thread and don't see any corroboration whatsoever. Indeed that thread mostly consists of the majority of posters saying that Duane lacks any credibility with a couple of guys including yourself trying to defend him and Duane himself posting and involved in a flame war. Fun times with Duane!

I particularly liked Duane's tweet from yesterday: "There are people in the soccer community in Toronto -- ppl with influence -- that actively try and sabotage #TFC signings"

"I will expand on that last Tweet in a CSN article tonight. Driving now..."

And the response by Ivy who apparently has an uncanny ability to predict the future: I fully expect another sourceless rant about imaginary conflicts to show up on CSN tonight.

And to be clear I am not denying that someone of Italian ethnicity with connections to an amateur Toronto soccer club may have said negative things to Gila or his representatives about TFC. What I am saying is ridiculous in the article is:

1) The idea there is a cabal of prominent ethnic leaders of soccer clubs who are sabotaging TFC by bad mouthing it because they are pissed off with how their soccer club has been treated or in Duane's words"a determined group of detractors that now take joy in watching TFC fail."

2) The idea that Gila and his agents due diligence is so poor that they did not take 20 minutes to research about TFC's results and management before entering into negotiations that went so far that they were getting close to an agreement until it all got sabotaged by Italian dude bad mouthing TFC

3) The idea that said cabal of ethnic soccer leaders would have much influence on the decisions of Gila and his management team.

Plus far be it for Duane to avoid getting into some ethnic muck raking: "The information rings true because it's not the first time it's been suggested that there are people in Toronto's soccer community that aren't just indifferent to TFC, but actually hostile. This feeling isn't limited to the Italian community, but rather it can be found in almost every identifiable group beyond a general British/Canadian group."

The Gila deal may not go through but if it doesn't it is not going to be for the reasons Duane is giving. There were other articles today suggesting the deal may be falling through but for credible reasons such as Gila worried about being selected for the World Cup squad or wanting to finish off his season at Genoa.

And I will say again, articles like this further my opinion that the association of the Voyageurs with CSN is often embarrassing. There are some guys who write good articles there but too much of the content is like this article. If the Voyageurs are going to associate with a Canadian soccer journalism site it should be one that follows the highest standards of journalism not the lowest.

Grizz youre right I misread someones comments that it was a problem but didnt know anything specific to Gila (poster Phil). Jason de Vos tweeted that the article was interesting and he's not surprised. maybe he'll bring it up on his podcast. as has been requested.

Grizz youre right I misread someones comments that it was a problem but didnt know anything specific to Gila (poster Phil). Jason de Vos tweeted that the article was interesting and he's not surprised. maybe he'll bring it up on his podcast. as has been requested.

Yes and that poster just said that TFC had a bad image and relationship with the local sports community. That may be true but there is a long jump between that and Duane's claim that there is a powerful group of ethnic soccer administrators who hate TFC and are sabotaging their attempts to sign good players.

"the detractors went so far to suggest that coming to TFC would derail Gilardino's career" - assuming this is referring to his international career (as it must do), this is the part that is most difficult to believe. Not that people may have told this to Gilardino & his agent, but that they needed this to be pointed out to them by some fans in Toronto. A brain-dead, elderly caribou could have pointed this out to Gilardino & his agent, and that's assuming that Gilardino & co. are so unbelievably naive that they wouldn't know this to begin with. You could replaced the initials TFC with MLS, and the same thing would apply - once you start playing in MLS, you will drop off the national team radar for a country like Italy.

I don't doubt that people could have been contacted and said negative things about TFC, but I too doubt how significant such negative comments could have been. For a 31 year old that is still being used by the Italian national team who not only will want to play in the World Cup but also be called to the national team for the next two years of Euro qualifiers, bringing him here was always going to be a tough sell. I expect it will be more likely in a Roberto Bettega/Di Viao situation where the player in question feels like he's probably done with the national team before he comes over, and that will apply to any MLS team, not just TFC.

"the detractors went so far to suggest that coming to TFC would derail Gilardino's career" - assuming this is referring to his international career (as it must do), this is the part that is most difficult to believe. Not that people may have told this to Gilardino & his agent, but that they needed this to be pointed out to them by some fans in Toronto. A brain-dead, elderly caribou could have pointed this out to Gilardino & his agent, and that's assuming that Gilardino & co. are so unbelievably naive that they wouldn't know this to begin with. You could replaced the initials TFC with MLS, and the same thing would apply - once you start playing in MLS, you will drop off the national team radar for a country like Italy.

I don't doubt that people could have been contacted and said negative things about TFC, but I too doubt how significant such negative comments could have been. For a 31 year old that is still being used by the Italian national team who not only will want to play in the World Cup but also be called to the national team for the next two years of Euro qualifiers, bringing him here was always going to be a tough sell. I expect it will be more likely in a Roberto Bettega/Di Viao situation where the player in question feels like he's probably done with the national team before he comes over, and that will apply to any MLS team, not just TFC.

Probably referring to his opportunities to go back to Europe (a la Beckham) or get another big payday after TFC. Being part of the sideshow at BMO might curtail those chances, the detractors likely said.

From Jason DeVos twitter post:

"Just got the following message in an email from an MLSE ticket sales rep…TORONTO FC SOCCER – huge designated big name player announcements expected very soon.”

Tell me this is a joke. This organization seems to have no collective memory.

People are tired of being sold promises.

Must have been before my time.
Kook Aid a registered trade mark, it represents the sweet tasting faux drink.... that TFC fans for Life drink. Unlike Voyageurs who may drink scotch of the single malt variety or beer or cheap red wine to drown sorrows regarding National Men's team results... Kook Aid drinkers suck up the ongoing spume from MLSE and return for more.

Kook Aid much like the magic cucumber is becoming legend on this site, a dip in the archives for your newbie knowledge and you will begin to love the use of Kook Aid, indeed I understand the Red Patch Boys have become fond of using the term.

Kook Aid in 2014 from TFC ... 3 new count them 3 new Strikers to score none !!!

Kook Aid a registered trade mark, it represents the sweet tasting faux drink.... that TFC fans for Life drink. Unlike Voyageurs who may drink scotch of the single malt variety or beer or cheap red wine to drown sorrows regarding National Men's team results... Kook Aid drinkers suck up the ongoing spume from MLSE and return for more.

Kook Aid much like the magic cucumber is becoming legend on this site, a dip in the archives for your newbie knowledge and you will begin to love the use of Kook Aid, indeed I understand the Red Patch Boys have become fond of using the term.

Kook Aid in 2014 from TFC ... 3 new count them 3 new Strikers to score none !!!

Hahaha we should really have our own voyageurs version of urban dictionary. A glossary if you will.

Archived