TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, I would love to hear from my good fried Trilllium about his Lamport soccer venture. What would even be better is if he could go on shark Tank or Dragon's den and I could watch Kevin O'Leary yell at him about how badly he would get killed. :)

Toronto FC could become first Canadian super club? (Assuming these signings pan out and players play to their potential). TFC are couple of starters away of becoming one of top teams in MLS.

I'm guessing this is our consolation for the Argos moving into BMO. There has to be a catch.

You should probably make the playoffs first, or get to 40 points at least.

It will not be hard to make it to the playoffs or at least get 40 points with this roster in the east. If TFC can manage to keep Laba, then midfield is going to be very good while our strikers are going to be deadly. Backline should be better than last season even though we need a starting RB and veteran CB.

I am sure TFC will struggle a bit in first half of the season since we got a lot of new faces, but hopefully (after world cup), they will get used to each other and develop some chemistry to make serious run.

It's only a matter of time before NYCFC forces a 4th DP. Might as well start now!

Good point. TFC might try to push for it now knowing what's coming. There is no transparency in this league and who knows what the deal was for 100mil NYCFC. If I paid that much, I would want more flexibility to build a team.

Whitecaps made the playoffs first. TFC can do it second if they please.

Third. Plus, they shouldn't count their eggs before they are hatched. On the face of it these seem like good signings but it is one thing to sign a bunch of good players and another thing to form them into a good team. There are going to be a lot of well paid big egos in the dressing room and a lot of guys of varying abilities and styles which may or may not work together and which may or may not be suited to MLS play. This strategy of throwing money around and signing a lot big names at once has failed many times before.

Third. Plus, they shouldn't count their eggs before they are hatched. On the face of it these seem like good signings but it is one thing to sign a bunch of good players and another thing to form them into a good team. There are going to be a lot of well paid big egos in the dressing room and a lot of guys of varying abilities and styles which may or may not work together and which may or may not be suited to MLS play. This strategy of throwing money around and signing a lot big names at once has failed many times before.

Don't have to look any further than the BLUE JAYS.

Some of the craziest contracts for Great Players.....yet nothing!

I agree with Grizzly, on paper it looks great.

MLS is a physical League....injuries will ruin any team. If Defoe and Bradley can stay healthy I think TFC could make the playoffs.

BUT don't expect too much. Now TFC should take what they signed and help grow their Academy Players to be top Players so that we don't have to look elsewhere. If anything have other Clubs come to US!

I like the Bradley move. He'll provide good injury cover for Bekker.

This was great.

Also, no one has won a play off game yet so let's not be quick to break out the measuring sticks boys. Bottom line is the team got noticeably better and I'll take it.

Hellova lineup there guys. Now have a great year and make the playoffs! Is it true that TFC has 4 first round picks for next year? That could set you up for a while depending on how deep the draft is. After all that the TFC fans have been through do they dare get their hopes up?

Just make sure their option clauses are explicit and paid for :(

I have to say that I think the reported 6.5mil salary is way, way too much. I like Bradley, and think he's a good player, but that is a lot. Overpaying to bring the Americans home(sic) I'd say. Money aside, TFC have done well. This move is more important that the Dempsey deal because Bradley is in his prime, whereas Dempsey could be considered old and declining.

One thing that strikes me: Why is he doing this? He wasn't at some tiny club, toiling away. He was at Roma, and he was getting a game. He's in his prime, and getting towards a World Cup. Every move he's made has been up until this point, so I have to question his motivation. I suppose we'll find out soon enough at the presser.

I have to say that I think the reported 6.5mil salary is way, way too much. I like Bradley, and think he's a good player, but that is a lot. Overpaying to bring the Americans home(sic) I'd say. Money aside, TFC have done well. This move is more important that the Dempsey deal because Bradley is in his prime, whereas Dempsey could be considered old and declining.

One thing that strikes me: Why is he doing this? He wasn't at some tiny club, toiling away. He was at Roma, and he was getting a game. He's in his prime, and getting towards a World Cup. Every move he's made has been up until this point, so I have to question his motivation. I suppose we'll find out soon enough at the presser.

You start out your post by saying he is way, way overpaid and then end it by asking what is his motivation. I think you answered your own question.

So, what does the starting 11 look like now? Here's how I see the depth chart:

- Defoe / Gilberto up front with Dike/Weideman as depth

- Bradley / Osorio at AM with deRo/Rey as depth

- Jackson / Laba with Hall as depth

- Morgan/Henry/Caldwell/Bloom with Morrow/Elmer as depth (Morrow is probably closer to a starter)

- Bendik on the back end

Thoughts?

Archived