TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forlan wouldn't be signed as a DP (He was only making about $300,000 in Brazil).

Anyway, Forlan signed with a J-league club. So he isn't coming to Toronto.

That's pretty exciting for Japan, actually, Forlan is up there in years, but still a huge soccer name. For something like $300k? From a marketing perspective and no DP slot, if you can keep it in the cap, yeah, you HAVE to take him, if he's interesting in coming to Toronto. I just don't think he really WAS, considering earlier reports from when this story was breaking the first time.

It's not all about the team you make on the pitch. Having Forlan on your team attracts more fans, attracts more money. Anyone who watched the last World Cup knows Forlan. $300k might be considered a bargain for that marketing.

"It had been reported that Botafogo were going to offer Forlan a salary of $350,000 (USD) per year, a $50,000 increase over his current salary. The report in Globoesporte says that"

Source: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/01/contract-extension-chelsea.html

"It had been reported that Botafogo were going to offer Forlan a salary of $350,000 (USD) per year, a $50,000 increase over his current salary. The report in Globoesporte says that"

Source: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/01/contract-extension-chelsea.html

The article SBI is referencing is this one:

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/noticia/2014/01/do-10-ao-7-saida-de-seedorf-aumenta-forca-do-botafogo-para-buscar-forlan.html

They speculate that Forlan would be paid half of what Seedorf was making (700,000 Reals/month) which would be 350,000 Reals/month.

The reason I said that is because he's like Lambe, but Canadian. He'll just fill an empty spot on the bench.

That's insulting. Lambe is a garbage player, Issey at least has some skill. Enough to make a name for himself in the Danish top division and become the equivalent of a DP in the A-League.

Sure he hasn't done much in the past few years but his ball handling makes me think he is definitely worth a shot, it would be nice to have a winger that could dribble past someone. Issey is definitely one of the more creative Canadian players and I think that if he is playing to the potential we've seen before and at the right $ he can unseat Rey on the right wing.

^ Agree with the Lambe part. Issey definitely better. Not sure about Rey though. Rey looked pretty good.

Agreed, Issey could have the skill to do it, but Rey has a pretty good upside. Also I'm more used to seeing Farran on the left, anyways, I can't remember him on the right side, is he good there? Better than on the left? Just curious, I haven't seen him play that much, never outside of CMNT

Same here, used to Issey on the left - where he would compete with DeRo. Can't see him starting for us, but could be a good depth player. I am sick of watching Lambe do nothing after 2 years.

I other news, according to Wileman, Earnshaw not coming back and Convey took less money in NY to play on a winner and be closer to home. I didn't mind either of them, but am much happier with who we brought in (ya think?). On paper, anyway.

Once Convey got some rhythm, he was doing pretty fine. I don't think anyone's going to miss Earnshaw though,and at some point his ridiculous goal-celebration is going to cause some problems with his ankles anyway.

I'm not a TFC supporter by any stretch but I don't understand why Earnshaw doesn't get any love (and/or salary) amongst supporters.

That's insulting. Lambe is a garbage player, Issey at least has some skill. Enough to make a name for himself in the Danish top division and become the equivalent of a DP in the A-League.

Sure he hasn't done much in the past few years but his ball handling makes me think he is definitely worth a shot, it would be nice to have a winger that could dribble past someone. Issey is definitely one of the more creative Canadian players and I think that if he is playing to the potential we've seen before and at the right $ he can unseat Rey on the right wing.

It's not that insulting. Issey has not shown much beyond what Lambe produces from my years of following him on "Canadians across the pond", CMNT or the fox soccer channel a-league games. I don't know where this "DP equivalent" tag comes from for Issey. I hope he sticks with TFC, replaces Lambe and proves me wrong, but he just hasn't shown much so far to relieve he's an improvement over Lambe. Issey was a marginal player in the a-league and the Cypriot league in the last few years. It's all I noticed.

Lambe tends to drive me crazy, but the coaching staff see enough in him to keep giving him chances. He is still pretty young so theoretically could have upside. Apparently they have him on a weight training program in the off-season and expect him to make improvements.

Archived