TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

EXACTLY, the depth is probably fine if Nelsen chooses to use it properly!  Those were horrible picks in the midfield.  Even before the game started I was thinking "Oh man.  This looks way too much like the crap that played last year".  Nelsen needs to understand that sometimes the best defense is a good offense, and play proper linkup players in the mid.  I haven't much liked Jackson, but he's a serious upgrade on Bloom.  As for Osorio and Hall?  Not even close.  Hall and Bloom should not have gotten the nods.  

Meanwhile, Rey's poor defense only cemented Nelsen's belief that they needed better defensive midfielders out there.  

Michael Bradley is the only one in the TFC mid who even looked close to capable last night.  But even Bradley...the strongest part of HIS game is not service.  Defoe and Gilberto had no chance moving forward.

It's not clear to me whether or not you were aware from the content of your post, but Osorio (injury) and Jackson (suspension) were both unavailable. Whether or not Hall or Bloom were the best options to replace Osorio and Jackson, Nelsen did not have the option of fielding the same team as in the first two weeks.

Personally, I think Jackson is a mess, a perpetual red card risk with poor ball control. If neither De Rosario (age) and Nakajima-Farran (never proved much) offer much of anything this year, TFC will suffer in matches where any one of Bradley, Osorio, Defoe or Gilberto are unavailable.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not clear to me whether or not you were aware from the content of your post, but Osorio (injury) and Jackson (suspension) were both unavailable. Whether or not Hall or Bloom were the best options to replace Osorio and Jackson, Nelsen did not have the option of fielding the same team as in the first two weeks.

Personally, I think Jackson is a mess, a perpetual red card risk with poor ball control. If neither De Rosario (age) and Nakajima-Farran (never proved much) offer much of anything this year, TFC will suffer in matches where any one of Bradley, Osorio, Defoe or Gilberto are unavailable.

Yes, sorry I was aware.  it's just that the players they chose to fill the role isn't a case of no depth, in my opinion, it's a case of making a lineup with negativity in mind.  I don't even think Hall is THAT much better defensively regardless, than even say, DeRo.  

I also don't like Jackson.  I also think he's a mess.  But Bloom and Hall are equal messes.  I can honestly say I would have put Bekker in ahead of Hall or Bloom.  

Also, think of this...why commit to the 4-4-2 scenario.  Try a 4-1-3-2 when those guys are gone, similar to the lineup that the Whitecaps played.  Nelsen overcommits to that formation, and in essence, overcommits to the players that can fill the formation.  Old adage that I've brought up before.  Make the formation to fit the players, don't choose the players to fit the formation.  

I do see where Nelsen was concerned with guys getting chewed up, but without a solid passing link from the back to the mid, there was no choice but to go back to playing hoofball.  Which caused more need for defense.  And Bloom and Hall aren't exactly gods in defense either, and I think the game yesterday proved that.  Would have been just as effective to have 4-1-3-2 with a very offensive (positive) minded midfield.  At lease in my mind.  Rey-Bekker-DeRo in there with Bradley in the back, with DeRo given some freedom to provide the midfield link at need.

Not as ideal as Osorio pairing Bradley like we have seen, but like we all know, injuries and suspensions happen.  Bloom and Hall are negative substitutions made by a manager with an eye for defending.  We need to think positive, about scoring, and about winning.  I'm not saying TFC (like any team) won't suffer from critical players having injuries, but the managers mindset when making alternate lineups should never include 2 players who don't even know how to pass.

Even though the game was put to bed by the time Bekker was subbed in, I thought he looked reasonable. Not sure if he would have done as well if he had started, but maybe he should be in line above Hall when TFC has injuries/suspensions.

I wonder if it's possible to put a 'per-card/per-suspension' deduction into someone's contract (not really being serious, but Jackson could use a major disincentive to pull that crap … although a leopard can't change its spots now can it).

Don't know if collective bargaining rules would allow for deductions for some negative outcomes, but I wonder if some tiered bonus system (extra $20,000 if you only earn 0-5 cards over the course of some minimum number of matches played, $10,000 for 5-10 cards, etc.) would be allowed and effective as a disincentive to reckless play.

I don't know man.  The clubs pay the players, not the league.  That said, as a manager I'd never give my players incentive NOT to tackle.

Perhaps just a disincentive to not throw elbows and get suspended. I hear what you're saying … as a coach you wouldn't want to have a player back out of a tackle they need to make. The trick is to use their aggression when it's supposed to be used on not when it isn't going to get them anything but in trouble. 

Or maybe you avoid that altogether by not bringing in the player in the first place.

Really entertaining game to watch for the neutrals but a shocker for TFC fans. Lets rephrase that, its a learning experience against one of the most consistent teams in the league, just not a particularly pleasant one.

Some worrying selection choices by Nelson as mentioned but there really is ton of potential and it is really early days. Addressed the right way this loss could be a good thing for the team.

Thought Issey and Becker looked good when they came on, TFC could have even possibly won in that second half but for some poor finishing and some bad luck. That said on the same line of thinking RSL could have had 10/12 goals.

Un-characteristicly poor and rash performance from Caldwell and Morrow looked horrible. Morrow is still probably a better bet than Morgan but I would hope the latter returns to the starting line up if Morrow looks like that going forward. Not convinced two up top is the way to go. Time will tell.

It's not a depth problem. Jeremy Hall was awful both on and off the ball, and Bradley Orr was way too slow to have an impact on any play. As soon as Rey and Bloom were playing together on the right that side of the field saw a much improved game. Likewise, with Issey playing on the left wing it went much better than with an out of position Bloom and Rey. Bekker made a much better showing than Hall in midfield if only because when he was under pressure he didn't pass directly into more pressure. He was also just stronger on the ball that Jeremy Hall and helped to create more. If we hadn't had to sub out Defoe we might've grabbed one back in the last chunk of play.

Hall and Bloom are marginal MLS players, DeRo would have been more effective in either role. 

Issey looked good when he came on, love watching him play (most of the time).  Also despite the fact they didn't score Defoe and Gilberto are two dangerous strikers without a doubt, especially Defoe anytime he has the ball you feel like it could be a goal.

I get the feeling that Bradley Orr will be one of those quickly forgotten TFC players.

Yup. Another one in a long line of players from the lower English leagues. I know Nelsen is fairly new but why does TFC keep going back to this well? It never seems to work.

Depth will be TFC's downfall this season. They still have time to fix the problem.

As much as TFC fans like to rip the Impact, TFC is essentially built the same way. Heavily relying on one player to score all the goals.

Signing guys like Bradley and Defoe doesn't prove that you know what you are doing or that you are a good manager. Its finding ways to have better players than Orr or Hall show you are doing a good job.

Yup. Another one in a long line of players from the lower English leagues. I know Nelsen is fairly new but why does TFC keep going back to this well? It never seems to work.

Depth will be TFC's downfall this season. They still have time to fix the problem.

As much as TFC fans like to rip the Impact, TFC is essentially built the same way. Heavily relying on one player to score all the goals.

Signing guys like Bradley and Defoe doesn't prove that you know what you are doing or that you are a good manager. Its finding ways to have better players than Orr or Hall show you are doing a good job.

Yes, except our striker is 6 years younger than DiVaio and are you also forgetting Gilberto?  He has only played two matches but he was the second leading scorer in Brazil at 24 years old and has looked dangerous. 

In MLS that is as good as you are going to get, not to mention the fact we had a Nigerian international as 3rd string up until a month ago.  Tell me another team in MLS with that attacking power.  The only one that comes close is LA and Rob Friend is in that group...

Bekker is more of an attacking mid. That was the role he played in college, and when trialing with Crystal Palace. With support from a player like Bradley I think he could make really good things happen out there. 

Bradley is more of a DM believe it or not. Hall and Bradley were two DM's which is why all the shitty long balls. Osorio makes the attacks happen, even with Bradley.

I am not convinced Morrow is an upgrade on Morgan. He is slow, and weak. A good tackler, but no better at man marking, and doesn't have the pace to get back. I predict he we will see him getting exposed badly very soon.

What amuses me is that Bloom is a shittier right sided version of Morgan, yet he sees the field, and Morgan doesn't, despite being better.

I'm really curious about this game.  TFC's playing a club that didn't make the playoffs for the last two seasons, but granted are off to a good start this season, and yet some are making this out to be that they are facing Bayern Munich at the Allianz Stadium.  It's MLS, the league of institutionalized parity where anything can happen, and often does.  I think TFC may overdeliver in this one:  I'm not saying a win or even a draw, but I think it might be closer than many believe.

I'm really curious about this game.  TFC's playing a club that didn't make the playoffs for the last two seasons, but granted are off to a good start this season, and yet some are making this out to be that they are facing Bayern Munich at the Allianz Stadium.  It's MLS, the league of institutionalized parity where anything can happen, and often does.  I think TFC may overdeliver in this one:  I'm not saying a win or even a draw, but I think it might be closer than many believe.

It probably makes more sense to put these kind of posts in the TFC "Playoff March" (aka 2014 season) thread, but I think the concern I have is that TFC could be down 4 key starters (Defoe, Osorio, Caldwell & Henry), which will make it difficult for them.

Thought tactics were bad but would concede we do need more ball winners in the midfield. I'll withhold judgement on this game for the most part.

Will give Nelsen credit in that he gives more opportunities to Canadians than any other coach we've seen. Bekker just is not his type of footballer unfortunately, lol.

Thought tactics were bad but would concede we do need more ball winners in the midfield. I'll withhold judgement on this game for the most part.

Will give Nelsen credit in that he gives more opportunities to Canadians than any other coach we've seen. Bekker just is not his type of footballer unfortunately, lol.

I agree.  I'm not sure, that said, that I'd call Hall or Bloom ball winners.  AND they were out of position far more than expected considering their supposed roles.  What are THOSE two players bringing to the table exactly?  At least we know what Bekker brings to the table.  I'm not sure I know what Hall or Bloom bring.

Funny how everyone is all doom and gloom about this match especially at my workplace but even with injuries/suspensions this team on paper is still better than any team we've played with away at Columbus. 

We need to organize ourselves so that Bradley is all over Higuain all match and we have a good chance. 

Surprised noone has commented on the game yet.  So Bekker gets the nod in the mid and for me, equalled Bradley, and almost deserves man of the match.  Defensively did an amazing job reading the game.  I couldn't believe it was Bekker out there, and then when he got the ball, did a capable job of distributing it, and moving it forward.  It was a screaming cry away from the depressing play of Hall last  week, to be honest.

That said, Bloom and Orr had a little bit of redemption and played capably.  Bloom did a great job on the right side of the defensive line, and probably had his best game to date in a TFC kit, contributing more capably to the offense than he did in the midfield.  Orr did a good job covering for injured players as well, but to be honest, the distribution by the Crew was depressingly bad.

Jackson played well defensively, but had some very poor touches on the offensive end.  Too many turnovers, but he still belongs there more than, say, Bloom or Hall would.  Rey actually played good passing lane interception defense as well, but, like Ashtone Morgan, his defensive weakness is one-on-one defense.  Justin Morrow played a great game on both ends as well (particularly the defensive end), showing some of what made him an all-star

Hopefully we can have some recovery from this injury bug.  Hopefully DeRo's injury isn't serious.  But the positive is, the play of Bekker (which, frankly, was wow-inducing), Issey on the sub-in, and the makeshift backline showed a little bit of depth in a lineup that had lost Defoe, Henry, Caldwell, Morgan, and of course Osorio.  

Where TFC sparkled was defense.  And I can't believe it, but Bekker was the defensive star.  Incredible.  The influence of Michael Bradley, would you guys agree?

I thought Bekker was good but I wouldn't say he was that great defensively.  I watched him closely and he seems a little complacent at times in terms of his positioning and marking when he's tracking back, the same thing I noticed in preseason.  Kind of like he's hoping the ball comes to him through poor play as opposed to absolutely cutting off passing lanes where he could be exposed at a higher level.  He was good because he kept it simple when he had the ball but he's still raw.  Playing next to Bradley takes a ton of pressure off him.  Definitely the best TFC match he's played though. 

^I disagree, and thought he did a great job getting in passing lanes, and reading the play.  It happened a number of times, enough to discount it being luck.  Again, he's not going to be a great one on one defender.  But the wow factor is how much it had improved that way from last season.  If this is actual improvement, and not a one off, then he shall see more playing time.  

The one thing I definitely agree with you on, Keegan, is that if he gets complacent, he's through.  Simply put, he didn't seem complacent this game.  Does anyone REALLY think Hall does THAT great defensively in comparison?  

Simply put, compare Bekker to Hall.  If Hall had done any of those same interceptions, he would have booted it up the pitch right back to the other team, JUST as he did the previous game.  You are right, Bekker kept it simple, but he played it out of pressure instead of going for what was REALLY simple and easy, like Hall did.  To me, that's all the difference.

Archived