TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(shrugs) I, for one, am not convinced that Portugal second division is much higher than even USL Pro.  Portugal is one of those countries where the level drops dramatically from the first few good teams such as Porto/Benfica/Sporting  Still, will broaden his horizons a bit and give him more playing time in game situations than USL Pro could offer, which makes it a positive move, regardless of the debate about the level.

A very strange loan move indeed. They are a bottom second division club as well. Hard to tell whether or not the club is better than Wilmington, but the club appears to consist of mostly Portuguese and Colombians, so he will certainly learn a new style of play, that's for sure. 

(shrugs) I, for one, am not convinced that Portugal second division is much higher than even USL Pro.  Portugal is one of those countries where the level drops dramatically from the first few good teams such as Porto/Benfica/Sporting  Still, will broaden his horizons a bit and give him more playing time in game situations than USL Pro could offer, which makes it a positive move, regardless of the debate about the level.

The Portuguese second division is actually a pretty good level.  Good enough for a regular in that league to be a regular on the CMNT.. the same definitely cannot be said for the USL Pro.  This level is probably a bit better than NASL.

The Portuguese second division is actually a pretty good level.  Good enough for a regular in that league to be a regular on the CMNT.. the same definitely cannot be said for the USL Pro.  This level is probably a bit better than NASL.

It's not that great.  Pedro Pacheco has for a long time been one of the better players, and captains of his squad, and yet still doesn't get regular minutes on the CMNT.  Perspective.  I'm one of those that says NASL players should get more of a look, but I'm not always convinced that NASL is a super high level, or that USL Pro is a very high level.  I'm certainly not thinking from what I've seen of the CD Santa Clara games that 2nd Tier Portugal is a high level.  Looks like more of the same hoofball and poor dribbling to me, from what I've watched.

With this move he gets to play in 30 league games and an additional 6 cup group games between August and April, then he can return to Toronto next spring ready to contribute (hopefully).

Exactly, which is certainly more action and training than he'll get around home during that same timeframe.

It's not that great.  Pedro Pacheco has for a long time been one of the better players, and captains of his squad, and yet still doesn't get regular minutes on the CMNT.  Perspective.  I'm one of those that says NASL players should get more of a look, but I'm not always convinced that NASL is a super high level, or that USL Pro is a very high level.  I'm certainly not thinking from what I've seen of the CD Santa Clara games that 2nd Tier Portugal is a high level.  Looks like more of the same hoofball and poor dribbling to me, from what I've watched.

I never said it was great, I'm saying it's below MLS but better than the other North American leagues.  Simply, it's a step up for Jordan.

Maybe.  I hate being argumentative about this, especially since there is absolutely no proving ground on an argument like this, so it seems sort of pointless but........ I'm starting to be of the opinion that we underrate American soccer far too much around here.  I would take Orlando City, Rochester, Richmond, Sacramento...I honestly think if you take these teams and put them against, say, Chaves or Farense to randomly choose a couple Portugal Segunda teams, that the American teams would win.  It's not 2004 anymore.  

Maybe.  I hate being argumentative about this, especially since there is absolutely no proving ground on an argument like this, so it seems sort of pointless but........ I'm starting to be of the opinion that we underrate American soccer far too much around here.  I would take Orlando City, Rochester, Richmond, Sacramento...I honestly think if you take these teams and put them against, say, Chaves or Farense to randomly choose a couple Portugal Segunda teams, that the American teams would win.  It's not 2004 anymore.  

The thing is though the USL Pro season is way too short for proper player development. It only runs from the end of March until the end of September (and its until early September for teams that miss the playoffs).

At least in the Portugal 2nd tier he will get to play a 9-month schedule.

The thing is though the USL Pro season is way too short for proper player development. It only runs from the end of March until the end of September (and its until early September for teams that miss the playoffs).

At least in the Portugal 2nd tier he will get to play a 9-month schedule.

Fully agree :)

Looks like Roberts was recalled today from Wilmington. TFC wanted to have 3 keepers for the remainder of the year just in case. Will be a shame if he does not see any minutes as he was lights out in Wimington.

Just goes to show why TFC needs to start their own Canadian based USL Pro affiliate like Vancouver just did. I think he could have been recalled more easily that way.

Had TFC not recalled Roberts now he would not be available to rejoin TFC for the rest of this season.

Wilmington doesn't have many games left now I don't think, unless they make a long playoff run.

Just goes to show why TFC needs to start their own Canadian based USL Pro affiliate like Vancouver just did. I think he could have been recalled more easily that way.

Had TFC not recalled Roberts now he would not be available to rejoin TFC for the rest of this season.

Wilmington doesn't have many games left now I don't think, unless they make a long playoff run.

It's possible Roberts might be loaned overseas similar to Hamilton.

According to CD Trofense supporter on RPB forum, TFC-Trofense formed a short term partnership deal.  If this is true, then we might see a player or two being loaned there in the off-season.   

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible Roberts might be loaned overseas similar to Hamilton.

According to CD Trofense supporter on RPB forum, TFC-Trofense formed a short term partnership deal.  If this is true, then we might see a player or two being loaned there in the off-season.   

It seems that whenever TFC has some sort of business together with another team they claim they have entered into a partnership deal. Nothing future ever comes of these partnership deals. 

Today's game (2-2 draw with Chicago) was a perfect example of the Bradley-Warner incompatibility, which seems to show up more at home (where the team I think remains winless with that due) where more is expected of TFC to be creative in attack. Bradley kept dropping very deep to pick up the ball, which was fine, but playing that deep pushed Warner into the offensive creative midfielder role, where he never got the ball since his teammates probably knew that he wasn't really going to do anything offensive with it. Its notable that TFC's two goals came from an Osorio through ball to Morrow (not from either of the two central defender) and a fortunate rebound from a great game-saving Doneil Henry tackle that happened go straight up the field to Moore to pass to Gilberto. Neither goal, and very few chances created, by the central midfield duo.

You don't have to be a genius to figure this out, at what point are the media going to clue in and speak out about it? (Note, I haven't seen the post-media scrum yet to see if anyone has, hopefully I've spoken too soon).

Today's game (2-2 draw with Chicago) was a perfect example of the Bradley-Warner incompatibility, which seems to show up more at home (where the team I think remains winless with that due) where more is expected of TFC to be creative in attack. Bradley kept dropping very deep to pick up the ball, which was fine, but playing that deep pushed Warner into the offensive creative midfielder role, where he never got the ball since his teammates probably knew that he wasn't really going to do anything offensive with it. Its notable that TFC's two goals came from an Osorio through ball to Morrow (not from either of the two central defender) and a fortunate rebound from a great game-saving Doneil Henry tackle that happened go straight up the field to Moore to pass to Gilberto. Neither goal, and very few chances created, by the central midfield duo.

You don't have to be a genius to figure this out, at what point are the media going to clue in and speak out about it? (Note, I haven't seen the post-media scrum yet to see if anyone has, hopefully I've spoken too soon).

The more I have watched the season progress the more I think the team needs an infusion of what Osorio brings based in the middle of the park instead of on the left flank.  For the 54% possession and total shots (11) they only had two on goal and thus kept this mediocre opponent in the match.

Osorio and Bradley in the middle.. it's simple and what won us our first two matches this season.  Nelsen is on a mission to prove that Issey for Warner was a great deal (not saying it wasn't, it was a good deal) and thus he won't put warner on the bench where he belongs.  Let Bradley be a destroyer and Osorio the playmaker.   

How was that match even close?  Look at Toronto compared to Chicago and AT HOME?!  Why is this team yet to dominate a match?  Even against Vancouver U23s in the V cup...

Nelsen relies on 13-14 players and that's it. Once you are out of the loop it is difficult to get back in (if you ever can). Its part of the reason why he makes the same subs each game, usually like for like. He is so predictable and rarely adapts based on what is happening on the field.

I know TFC fans like to fellate Bezbatchenko, but I think he has done a poor job in terms of filling out the depth for TFC (its either that or Nelsen refuses to play useful depth players). This team is being pulled by its high priced talent and it is masking how weak the depth is.

It was a mistake to bring back De Rosario if they have zero intention of using him.

I don't see a future for Morgan at TFC if Nelsen remains.

Anyways, I still think TFC squeaks into the playoffs. The East is simply that bad. But they will make it difficult, mostly because Nelsen is a shitty coach.

Speaking of mistakes, I'm not sure if it was a good idea to bring in both Defoe and Gilberto (I'm talking about in the off season). They both like to play in essentially the same part of the field. They would have been better off with a DP creative/attacking midfielder (although I guess that won't work in a Nelsen formation anyways).

Gilberto and Defoe have nearly zero chemistry together and often times its like they get in each others way. That was still happening yesterday.

While Moore isn't the most talented of players, he seems to do a decent job of complementing either Defoe or Gilberto.

Archived