TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DeRo's play thus far hasn't exactly been screaming "I deserve more playing time".

Hopefully he remains a team player and content.  I like to arrive at games early and watch the warm up.  DeRo is always warming up with a smile on his face, laughing and joking with teammates.  Hopefully, he has a bit of magic left in him - almost in Vancouver but the post got in the way.

He got cut by the worst team in the league last year, he's not going to get a deal anywhere else.  Professionally, that would probably have been it if there wasn't unfinished business in Toronto that made it useful for both parties to have him around.

He didn't get "cut" by anyone.  DC didn't pick up his option of $1 million for obvious reasons and he had other teams interested. 

If you followed DC last season you would know that he was actually their leading scorer in both the league and the cup.  Sure he's slowed down but it's not like he's done.. he hasn't made an impact this season because he simply hasn't had the time but he was still our best player in preseason and Canada's best player in our friendlies which definitely stirred up interest in him from other clubs. 

The role he would be effective in at this stage in his career just isn't there in this TFC XI, FWIW I think this role is Enganche like a poor man's Riquelme.  He doesn't need to move much but his technical ability, creativity and threat from distance makes him effective.  The stat I look at is the fact that when he starts TFC is 2-0-0 and when he doesn't we're 2-0-4.  DeRo has changed and I respect that.  He's not looking to take 30 yard bombs at any given opportunity and you could tell that from the first match against Seattle where he was effective in the build up and was a disher instead of a shooter.  I don't think he took one attempt that match, he knows his role.

DeRo's play thus far hasn't exactly been screaming "I deserve more playing time".

Hopefully he remains a team player and content.  I like to arrive at games early and watch the warm up.  DeRo is always warming up with a smile on his face, laughing and joking with teammates.  Hopefully, he has a bit of magic left in him - almost in Vancouver but the post got in the way.

Well, we'll see how it goes for him in the next few weeks.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong and head off into the sunset at peace with his situation for the remainder of the season, especially considering that Lovitz appears to have won the coach's trust on the flank as a sub and ditto Moore up top as the first choice replacement (or possible starter in place of Gilberto?).  

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand how Lovitz suddenly has a spot in the team?

So the guy doesn't make the team out of camp, plays a few good matches in USL and then comes back and is a first choice sub?  He looked way out of his league yesterday. 

As for the criticism of DeRo.  I don't get it?  He's never been a fast player and at least his touches are still quality by MLS standards.  He's come close a few times and our goal differential with him on the pitch is pretty impressive, certainly productive in our build up play.  I guess those people are the ones expecting 2011 De Rosario to score every match... harsh.  Lovitz for instance broke down every move we had EVERY time he got the ball.  And I can't believe he was given set piece duty as the only decent ball he put in was for the Henry goal and he even admitted that was an "easy spot". 

• 3 weeks later...

I guess with all the focus on the World Cup I (and maybe everyone?) missed the news of another TFC Canadian signing - or perhaps he's just a trialist - but it appears Janeill Hoilett (yes, the younger brother of Junior) is currently with TFC as he scored the winning goal against Wilmington in a friendly between the two clubs that are of course linked through TFC loaning a trio of canucks there:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/06/friendly-finishes-2-1

Strangely, it seems that Hamilton & Aparicio were loaned back to TFC for this game while Roberts stayed & played with Wilmington.

• 1 month later...

TFC trades the first allocation spot for Warren Creavalle, the 14th allocation spot and allocation money.

TFC picks up another defensive midfielder.

I'm hoping the intention is for him to play right back, considering that was his position when he broke into the league.

I would hate to see Osorio and/or Bekker losing more playing time because of Warren Creavalle.

However, if they want to put him later in games on the right side to sub out Oduro and protect leads, that could also be helpful.

I'm hoping the intention is for him to play right back, considering that was his position when he broke into the league.

I would hate to see Osorio and/or Bekker losing more playing time because of Warren Creavalle.

However, if they want to put him later in games on the right side to sub out Oduro and protect leads, that could also be helpful.

Creavalle's best position is DM, though he can play RB (and CB) as well

I hope so too, as DM was the last position we needed to get more depth for. Heck the team had already loaned out Jeremy Hall to Rochester for a game or two.

Jordan Hamilton may be the real deal. It was impressive 45mins for the kid. He's got the size and the touch and zero fear against EPL defenders. 

Wasn't sure if he was just a monster at 14 when we saw him for the U17s but he continues to develop.  Last year he was a monster for the U17s, looked like a man amongst boys in qualifying and delivered on the big stage like no other youth player since Iain Hume in 2003. 

He can pass, uses both feet, finishes, great header, strong, good speed on and off the ball.  If he isn't in MLS next year he needs to be loaned to NASL, keep em moving up. 

That finish was class.  Made it look easy.

Is he a left or right footed player?  If he's a right footer that truly was a deadly finish.

Wasn't sure if he was just a monster at 14 when we saw him for the U17s but he continues to develop. Last year he was a monster for the U17s, looked like a man amongst boys in qualifying and delivered on the big stage like no other youth player since Iain Hume in 2003.

He can pass, uses both feet, finishes, great header, strong, good speed on and off the ball. If he isn't in MLS next year he needs to be loaned to NASL, keep em moving up.

That finish was class. Made it look easy.

Is he a left or right footed player? If he's a right footer that truly was a deadly finish.

I believe he's left footed because that's how he took his penalty against Honduras

Archived