2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

8 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Ha no way! I am a McMaster graduate in Commerce from about 10 years ago and he was running the faculty. 

I got to play intramural soccer with him. Uber-competitive and a good player as well. Super high energy guy; always very kind and positive. Didn't even realize he was the VP of the CSA. 

He used to be featured frequently on the local tv station (CHCH) for his business opinions and analyses, I found out after he was a soccer fan, in the last few years we got to see he is very involved and passionate about the game, great work from him and his team and as he says in the interview, "now the real work begins"!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Kent said:

I haven't watched with sound yet, but is that Davies hugging the suits in this video? Around the 2:00 mark (sorry, didn't really check to get an accurate timestamp).

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-awarded-2026-fifa-world-cup-as-part-of-successful-north-american-bid-1.1111293

yup. He also made a short solo on stage presentation before the final vote

46 minutes ago, Califax said:

Imagine if we had hosted the World Cup before the internet. 

It wouldn't have been as fun if we couldn't hear people complain across the country instantaneously. 

If there was a V's board in 1986, the threads could have been:

- George Pakos should stick to being a tradesman

- Is Ian Bridge the best defender ever to play for Canada

- Who should start against France?  Lettieri or Dolan?

- There should be more Canadians in MISL.

- Halifax team in the CSL?

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

All of which would be fair game and soccer related.

If you want to see who voted for who, there's a list here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/13/usa-canada-and-mexico-win-bid-host-2026-fifa-world-cup

Interestingly not all of Comnebol voted for the North American bid as previously reported would be the case  - Brazil for example voted for Morrocco. Iran (who play Morrocco in a couple of days) declined to vote.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

It definitely is interesting. Outside of this tweet it had sounded like Infantino was saying FIFA would decide, not CONCACAF...

I would have to guess there's quite a few CONCACAF countries who may not be willing to let Canada get in without having to qualify.

I'll frame it this way -- Suppose, many years down the road, there was a to be a united bid to host from a group of five Caribbean or Central American countries. As a Canadian, how willing would you be to let all of them in without having to qualify?

How about something conditional? They get an automatic qualification as host if, in the last rankings before qualifying is set to begin, they're in the FIFA top 40 (or 50, or whatever number they choose) ?

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If you want to see who voted for who, there's a list here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/13/usa-canada-and-mexico-win-bid-host-2026-fifa-world-cup

Interestingly not all of Comnebol voted for the North American bid as previously reported would be the case  - Brazil for example voted for Morrocco. Iran (who play Morrocco in a couple of days) declined to vote.

ITALY Belguim amd Holland  voting  for  Morrocco  I find  odd  while  most  of  UEFA  voting for  us

2 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

ITALY Belguim amd Holland  voting  for  Morrocco  I find  odd  while  most  of  UEFA  voting for  us

Holland probably wanted to appease its high Moroccan population, the ex-pats engaging in cross country business....possibly something more shady as well happening in the background. 

4 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

On the flipside, not everyone in Africa voted for Morrocco - Sierra Leone voted for us and so did Liberia. The predictions had been that all of Comnebol & Concacaf would go for us all of Africa would go for Morrocco and everyone else was up for grabs, but it didn't quite work out exactly like that.

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

Ha no way! I am a McMaster graduate in Commerce from about 10 years ago and he was running the faculty. 

I got to play intramural soccer with him. Uber-competitive and a good player as well. Super high energy guy; always very kind and positive. Didn't even realize he was the VP of the CSA. 

Actually Nick was a very good soccer player in his day played on some good local Toronto area men’s teams from what I remember and pretty sure he was a striker .

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

You forgot the "John Van't Schip can go F*ck himself" thread...

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

- New pro league to launch next year?

If there was a V's board in 1986, it would have been an actual bulletin board made of cork with tacked paper notes :).

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

On the flipside, not everyone in Africa voted for Morrocco - Sierra Leone voted for us and so did Liberia. The predictions had been that all of Comnebol & Concacaf would go for us all of Africa would go for Morrocco and everyone else was up for grabs, but it didn't quite work out exactly like that.

Well the president of Liberia's son plays for the US National Team. Would have been rather awkward if they didn't.

Archived