2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I would love for this to happen. I cannot see our country building new stadia to accommodate such an event. The minimum for the Euro cup is 40k, so I'm assuming it's even bigger for the World Cup.

32 teams means that there would need to be potentially 8 locations, though they could do it in less. Turf? No, grass is required.

Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal have stadiums but they would be considered small for the World Cup and would need upgrades to meet the FIFA requirements. I cannot see Canada building new stadiums for soccer to the same extent that all countries do prior to the big tournament.

^ I believe the minimum is still 40k.

In order for this to work we would need to either upgrade or replace most if not all of the CFL stadia save BC Place and Commonwealth. Would Skydome and the Big O be acceptable, or would they need to be replaced/upgraded too? Or would massive additions to BMO and Saputo be the way to go? McMahon is over 50 years old and has no plans for replacement. Taylor field, if it were considered as a venue, would need a major upgrade if not a complete rebuild. The new stadium in Winnipeg would probably only need a small increase to its capacity. Same with the new Ottawa stadium once it gets built. I'm not even gonna touch Hamilton - too many construction issues. So, without considering field surface we have:

Ready to Go

Vancouver - BC Place

Edmonton - Commonwealth

Toronto - Rogers Centre

Upgrades Needed

Winnipeg - Winnipeg Stadium (does it have a name?)

Ottawa - Frank Clair Stadium

Toronto - BMO Field

Montreal - Stade Saputo

Tear it Down and Rebuild it

Calgary - McMahon Stadium

Montreal - Olympic Stadium

Regina - Taylor Field

So that's 10 potential venues in 8 cities. Only one city can have two venues, so that would have to be one of Toronto or Montreal. With 14 years to put in the necessary upgrades and construction, this is definitely something Canada can pull off. The more pertinent question to ask is would hosting the world cup be practical? This is sure to cost hundreds of millions of dollars if not more, so can the general public be convinced that this is a good idea to go ahead with?

As much as I would love for this to happen. I cannot see our country building new stadia to accommodate such an event. The minimum for the Euro cup is 40k, so I'm assuming it's even bigger for the World Cup.

32 teams means that there would need to be potentially 8 locations, though they could do it in less. Turf? No, grass is required.

Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal have stadiums but they would be considered small for the World Cup and would need upgrades to meet the FIFA requirements. I cannot see Canada building new stadiums for soccer to the same extent that all countries do prior to the big tournament.

But almost all stadiums for the World Cup(s) coming up will either be renovated or be newly built. 2026 is long ways away. We don't have the stadiums to host right now but we've got 14 years to prepare.

I don't see any problem with dreaming big, aiming high and seeing where that takes us. After all, we've been criticizing the CSA's lack of ambition for years. The worse that can happen is that FIFA says "no".

You wouldn't actually need to tear down the Big O. It's pretty ****, but still good enough to hold a World Cup game with some pick me-ups. Also if we did get this I bet we'd see a 30,000 seater built in Halifax with for the CFL with the potential to expand to 40,000 for the World Cup.

You wouldn't actually need to tear down the Big O. It's pretty ****, but still good enough to hold a World Cup game with some pick me-ups. Also if we did get this I bet we'd see a 30,000 seater built in Halifax with for the CFL with the potential to expand to 40,000 for the World Cup.

The thing I'm thinking about with the Big O is that it will be 50 years old by the time this event rolls around. Will it still be in ok shape by then? (I've only been in the stadium once and am not an engineer or anything)

The thing I'm thinking about with the Big O is that it will be 50 years old by the time this event rolls around. Will it still be in ok shape by then? (I've only been in the stadium once and am not an engineer or anything)

I recently was told by an ex-Montrealer that they can't tear it down and rebuild due to the transit running underneath. Can anyone else verify this?

I recently was told by an ex-Montrealer that they can't tear it down and rebuild due to the transit running underneath. Can anyone else verify this?

The metro does run underneath it, not sure if that means they can't tear it down.

A lot can change in 14 years. I'd like to think we could make a WC before playing as host. If we were to host it, it would be a major success and I think FIFA finds us to be an appealing location. The Great White North. Not to mention we are not a country riddled with crime, discrimination and we love to party and drink... lots of +++

Soccerpro your Pipe dream comment is bull****.

A few comments. The Big O can't be imploded (proximity to metro etc) it has to be torn down piece by piece at an estimated cost of 700 million so it's not going anywhere soon.

Some Olympic Stadium news. The Big O is looking to downsize to 35,000 seats. The Big O was able to seat 71.617 for the 1976 Olympic final, so structurally it can be done. Regardless of what people here think about it, Septic Bladder called it a "jewel"

As for the comment about stadium age the Berlin Olympiastadion was built in 1936 and it hosted games in the 2006 World Cup.

The proposed new Saskatchewan stadium (33,000 seats) is looking until the end of the month to finalize funding.

Update Video: Exclusive look inside Winnipeg's Investors Group Field. The project manager overseeing construction of Investors Group Field gives an exclusive update on the progress at the future home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The new Hamilton Stadium (22,500) could look like this indicative design that was given to the three finalist bidders (winner to be released to the public in September)

e80msp.jpg

All new CFL stadiums: Ottawa, Regina, Winnipeg and Hamilton are required to be expandable to 40,000 seats.

Problem is we're too honest of a country. Winning the hosting rights has absolutely nothing to do with having the best bid. It's about paying off the FIFA executive committee like Russia and Qatar did.
One of the very few issues why we might not be able to win the bid (or want to).

Soccerpro your Pipe dream comment is bull****.

A few comments. The Big O can't be imploded (proximity to metro etc) it has to be torn down piece by piece at an estimated cost of 700 million so it's not going anywhere soon.

Some Olympic Stadium news. The Big O is looking to downsize to 35,000 seats. The Big O was able to seat 71.617 for the 1976 Olympic final, so structurally it can be done. Regardless of what people here think about it, Septic Bladder called it a "jewel"

As for the comment about stadium age the Berlin Olympiastadion was built in 1936 and it hosted games in the 2006 World Cup.

The proposed new Saskatchewan stadium (33,000 seats) is looking until the end of the month to finalize funding.

Update Video: Exclusive look inside Winnipeg's Investors Group Field. The project manager overseeing construction of Investors Group Field gives an exclusive update on the progress at the future home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The new Hamilton Stadium (22,500) could look like this indicative design that was given to the three finalist bidders (winner to be released to the public in September)

e80msp.jpg

All new CFL stadiums: Ottawa, Regina, Winnipeg and Hamilton are required to be expandable to 40,000 seats.

My comment isn't bull. The U.S will bid again, they have everything in place already, including huge modern stadiums. They will win. Pipe dream.

My comment isn't bull. The U.S will bid again, they have everything in place already, including huge modern stadiums. They will win. Pipe dream.
And if the US is going through one of its periods where they are hated by much of the world and are a target do you think they'll still win. FIFA politics vs FIFA greed, who will win. Well, greed won in Qatar, politics is due.

If your Pipe dream comment is based upon us not being able to put together a strong enough bid to win it, I say bull****. If you mean external circumstances such as FIFA politics or corruption, I can accept that. But in their more lucid moments FIFA realizes they also can't keep going back to the same spots and grow the game as well.

I would have agreed with this comment on December 1st 2010. On December 2nd 2010 Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup. A country with like 400,000 citizens max and 1.9 million people. Apparently Australia, Japan, South Korea and the US were not the better options.

I would have agreed with this comment on December 1st 2010. On December 2nd 2010 Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup. A country with like 400,000 citizens max and 1.9 million people. Apparently Australia, Japan, South Korea and the US were not the better options.

+1

I agree with FIFA wanting to leave a football legacy around the world with these World Cups. Canada is a rich nation with a severely underdeveloped football infrastructure. It does have a transportation, communication, and housing infrastructure. Something that has not been mentioned here yet, but which is very much as important. The money from FIFA will go towards renovating/building stadiums mainly. I don't think that Canada has her work cut out for her as South Africa did and look at how that tournament went.

Also, Canada's time zones puts in prime position for games to be held at reasonable times in the Americas and resonable for Europe where the sport is most popular.

This will also lift the image of Canada. And I think the government will get behind that. Canada has wasted money on things that make less sense and don't pay back (you guys can read the news... $2,000,000,000... Man, that a lot of zeros).

This country can make it financially. It would also be nice for FIFA to force the CSA to finally start a league of our own just like they forced the US.

TFC would get a new home via this. That would be tits!

Any of the to be built Pan Am Games stadia an option?

The infrastructure will be there via CFL and existing parks, that's not the biggest challenge. Winnipeg's new park opens next year, Mosaic in SASK will get replaced within the decade, simply has to happen. Ottawa is doing up a park. I expect a CFL club in the East Coast within a decade.

Lots of nationalities here to fill the parks, easy place to visit, so much money to be made off it. We're not a bad option with FIFA's stance on doing this tourney in unconventional places like South Africa, Qatar, etc.

TFC would get a new home via this. That would be tits!

Any of the to be built Pan Am Games stadia an option?

The infrastructure will be there via CFL and existing parks, that's not the biggest challenge. Winnipeg's new park opens next year, Mosaic in SASK will get replaced within the decade, simply has to happen. Ottawa is doing up a park. I expect a CFL club in the East Coast within a decade.

Lots of nationalities here to fill the parks, easy place to visit, so much money to be made off it. We're not a bad option with FIFA's stance on doing this tourney in unconventional places like South Africa, Qatar, etc.

Yes, lots of nationalities indeed. That is a hugh plus. You could also tap into the immigrant populations in the US.

The time zones comment also makes alot of sense, and one could argue "why not the USA again if you are considering North America"? Well, we ALL know FIFA loves spreading it's legacy by expanding it's main event (the WC) to new frontiers: Korea Japan (East Asia), South Africa (Africa) Russia (Eastern Europe), Qatar (middle east). Yes, maybe the great white north is next on their list. It must appeal to them in the same way Australia would, being a non football nation.

My instinct is that it would be too good to be true for Canada to host the world cup, but the more you think about it, the more you think, why not?

You know what? Let's can all the ****ing "it won't happen because of XXXXXX" bull**** and make it ****ing happen. We're one of the best countries on the planet, but our football foot print is exceedingly small. One of FIFA's main missions is to "Take world-class football action and passion at all levels to every corner of the planet", which has been done with us so far at smaller levels, but never with the men's World Cup. There is ZERO reason why we should not be able to not only put in a solid bid, but also host an all-out successful World Cup.

As Voyageurs we want the game to grow within Canada. The ultimate way to make that happen is through hosting the World Cup. Oh, the work in making sure the Boys In Red have sell out, pro-Canadian crowds will be harder than we'll anticipate, but we can do it. As a good friend of mine always says before his band plays a show, "time to cut the **** and start the pit." We need to drop the No attitude and up the Yes attitude. Call your provincial association and tell them they need to get their asses in line with the CSA's potential World Cup bid and that you want games hosted in your city. I sure as hell am going to do everything I can to make sure that a group is hosted in Saskatchewan.

Archived