2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

I’m sorry but this is so underwhelming.. we are getting 10 matches and aren’t even guaranteed a spot.  If anything it gives me anxiety about being the first country to host and not be in the World Cup.. surely we must be given a spot if it’s 48 teams.

It’s hard to even think about and then on top of that you hope all of us can go to the matches if we are in and we aren’t passed over by all these Canadians who haven’t supported the team ever. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, admin said:

We will qualify as hosts.  FIFA has already said we will, they just need to put it in writing is my understanding.

I suspect FIFA will allow the 3 countries to automatically qualify for 2026.  If this 48-team World Cup is the new way of doing things (and I'm not a fan of it) splitting the tournament across 2 or 3 host nations will become the way to go.  FIFA will have to give all hosts automatic entry.

There is also a proposed provisional schedule already out, that seems to show what the organizers are eyeing. It is tentative and still needs approval from FIFA. It does seem to think all 3 nations would qualify.

The US would be in Group I with its opening game at The Rose Bowl and its second game at AT & T Stadium in Dallas. On top of that the two teams in their group would play their game against each other in either Guadalajara or Monterrey in Mexico. There's zero chance that they would play any games in Canada or Mexico.

Canada we would be in Group A with our opening game being in Edmonton at Commonwealth Stadium and our second game in either Montreal at Olympic Stadium or Toronto at BMO Field. The two teams in Canada's group however would play each other in the US. Canada would get to play at home for our first two knockout round games but only if we win our group. If they finish second they would actually head to Mexico for the round of 32 and would continue in the US from there.

Mexico would be in Group E, with its opening game at The Azteca and second game in Guadalajara or Monterrey. The two teams in their group would play each other in the US. Much like Canada, they could get to play their first two knockout round games in Mexico, but only if they win their group. If not they would remain in The US for the rest of the tournament.

All 3 teams would play on the opening day. Atlanta and Dallas would host the semifinals, with Met Life Stadium in NY/NJ hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup Final.

Also looking at the proposed match schedule Canada would be slotted into A1, Mexico would be slotted into E1 and USA would be slotted into I1 as far as the 2026 FIFA World Cup Group Draw if all 3 automatically qualify...all hosts would play on the same day on the opening day.

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The 2/3 team World Cup raises interesting possibilities too.. like imagine a Scotland, Ireland, England tournament or Australia, NZ. 

Imaging the fun if England co-hosted the World Cup with two other UK "countries".  Who would get left out? ?

Plus added caveat of us being co-hosts along with Mexico and US if all 3 nations qualify automatically as hosts then if the Confederations Cup is still a thing the 2025 Confederations Cup could be used to also help us prepare for the 2026 FIFA World Cup

6 minutes ago, ray said:

Imaging the fun if England co-hosted the World Cup with two other UK "countries".  Who would get left out? ?

To be clear I’m talking about the Republic hosting with England and Scotland.. so N. Ireland and Wales left out.

17 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Also looking at the proposed match schedule Canada would be slotted into A1, Mexico would be slotted into E1 and USA would be slotted into I1 as far as the 2026 FIFA World Cup Group Draw if all 3 automatically qualify...all hosts would play on the same day on the opening day.

Can you share? Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Keegan said:

To be clear I’m talking about the Republic hosting with England and Scotland.. so N. Ireland and Wales left out.

Sure, but if you are picking some / not all in that region, there will be issues. 

I'm sure England would maybe share with Scotland, but probably not Ireland. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

The 2/3 team World Cup raises interesting possibilities too.. like imagine a Scotland, Ireland, England tournament or Australia, NZ. 

The rumour that had been kicking around before Morocco went with their own bid this time was a 2034 bid of Morocco, Spain, and Portugal.  I can see that as a valid bid.  Brings the World Cup back to Africa but also alleviates a bunch of the financial concerns surrounding this bid.  

I hope they clear up the automatic qualification issue sooner rather than later, I'm getting tired of listening to sportscasters with little interest in soccer pointing out that we may not be participating in our own tournament!

3 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Yeah sure just go to Wikipedia

I will give you the link and it shows the match schedule of where the 3 teams are slotted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada–Mexico–United_States_2026_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Proposed_provisional_match_schedule

But this is the source though:

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/united-2026-bid-book.pdf?cloudid=w3yjeu7dadt5erw26wmu

That's the bid committee (mainly USSF) that determined this not FIFA.

Even Montagliani said on record during his interview at Sportsnet yesterday:

FIFA has last say on games, location and what not. FIFA takes over and manage the tournament.

Despite the committee submitting this schedule, FIFA has last say, period.

That's why I find it ridiculous that people are giving up and just accepting we're only getting 10 games and no matches past quarter-finals. There's still time to send "positive" feedback to FIFA and CONCACAF expressing our passion and desire to have both Mexico and Canada host more games all the way to the semi-finals and a less one sided bid. The more feedback, the better.

Assuming that both Canada and Mexico gets 6 stadiums (a shame Vancouver's out as we could have had 4 out of 16), the US gets 10 (FIFA picks the 16 remaining stadiums). I personally doubt FIFA gives a disproportionate amount of games to the US as the USSF wishes for, especially when flights between Montreal and NY are shorter than NY-Florida. 

60-10-10 is a done deal ONLY when FIFA says so.

We fought so hard as a community to have our own league and hold the CSA accountable, the biggest soccer event in our lifetime is finally coming to Canada and we won't as a community do a positive campaign to influence both CONCACAF and FIFA to balance the bid better? We won't show why more games would be great for all 3 countries? Explaining what we mean by "UNITED"? We're just giving up and thanking the heavens that we got 10 games when we have a solid half a decade to push the message and make it mainstream?

If that's the case, I'll be the lone fool doing my part on social medias, but I'd be very disappointed.

Even if we use pure maths assuming that Mexico and Canada gets 3 stadiums each and the rest goes to the US, the correct ration is 50-15-15. No excuses why Azteca and Olympic Stadium can't host a semi-final each or Commonwealth and Monterrey can't host a quarter-final game.

We should fight for 50-15-15 and inclusion past the round of 16.

Thank you

Canada as far as the Group Draw for Automatic Qualification...2026 FIFA World Cup Group Draw... Canada would most likely be seeded in Pot 1...I can't wait until the Group Draw in 2026 because for a 48 team tournament with 3 team groups you could wind up with Groups of Death. However, considering this year for Russia 2018 they fixed the Group Draw to make it more fair as far as balancing the groups out. Furthermore, if Canada is one of the automatic slots and are through to 2026 automatically then I can see them getting a favorable group draw. However, it could be worse. They could end up in a Group of Death. However, no one really knows between now and 2026.

Can I just say how much I hate the format change to groups of three?

It really hurts the weaker teams by reducing the number of matches for which they get to represent their country on the world stage.

Also, I don't think that having each team play only two matches in the group stage allows the countries involved to definitively determine who is best in the group.  Even three matches is not enough, IMHO.

I mean, I get why it has to be done... with the increased field of 48, they're trying to keep the total number of group stage matches at a reasonable number.  Plus the mid-level teams stand a better chance to make it into the larger knockout round field of 32.  But it still seems like a fundamentally flawed group stage system.

51 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Can I just say how much I hate the format change to groups of three?

It really hurts the weaker teams by reducing the number of matches for which they get to represent their country on the world stage.

Also, I don't think that having each team play only two matches in the group stage allows the countries involved to definitively determine who is best in the group.  Even three matches is not enough, IMHO.

I mean, I get why it has to be done... with the increased field of 48, they're trying to keep the total number of group stage matches at a reasonable number.  Plus the mid-level teams stand a better chance to make it into the larger knockout round field of 32.  But it still seems like a fundamentally flawed group stage system.

I agree with that most definitely. It does hurt the weaker teams in the 3 team groups by reducing the number of games. However, a 48 team tournament has never ever been done before. 2026 will be the first time something like this has ever happened and I get why they expanded because of money purposes, sponsorships and what have you. FIFA see this as a golden opportunity and I know I do too. We get to see countries in that have never been in the tournament before but also seeing countries who haven't been there for a while return back on the world stage. You have that inclusive factor to the tournament. More competition all the way around and you spread the football love as it were.

Yeah but only if you buy your tickets well in advance but even then tickets would probably cost a fortune. For me that is why I am saving my money now and then by doing that I actually have enough to go to watch a FIFA World Cup game in our backyard especially if Canada is playing or let's say my other country Ghana God willing were playing in Canada I would go to watch in 2026.

48 teams if you have Canada, USA and Mexico all as automatic qualification as hosts...that leaves 3 spots wide open for CONCACAF especially if the hosts are not taking part in qualification...that is 3 spots left for CONCACAF well technically 4 spots because for the allotment of teams for continents:

Africa (9 teams)

Asia (8 teams)

Europe (16 teams)

South America (6 teams)

North America (3 spots depending on if 3 co hosts qualify automatically)= 42 spots + 3 automatic co-hosts= 45 spots

Oceania (1 spot)= 46 spots

Then the last 2 spots are play-off spots apparently

1 hour ago, Nick P said:

Excited about the United 2026 World Cup but then I thought about tickets. Its gonna be Super Bowl/World Series prices on steroids

We will be in Edmonton for their games (free place to crash- woot woot).  Honestly, it doesn't matter what the tickets cost.  I will pay it.  

(And you have 8 years to save up)

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We will be in Edmonton for their games (free place to crash- woot woot).  Honestly, it doesn't matter what the tickets cost.  I will pay it.  

(And you have 8 years to save up)

I know right...8 years to save my money because I want to see Canada play

However, if Canada is given automatic qualification like 2 of their group games would be in Canada which means one of their games would be in Edmonton at Commonwealth Stadium and their other game would most likely be at either Olympic Stadium in Montreal or BMO Field in Toronto. If it is at BMO no question I'm going since I am from Toronto. If it is in Montreal I will mission down to Montreal. I don't really care one way or the other.

Plus the way they allotted the spots:

Africa (9 teams)

Asia (8 teams)

Europe (16 teams)

South America (6 teams)

North America (3 spots depending on if 3 co hosts qualify automatically)= 42 spots + 3 automatic co-hosts= 45 spots

Oceania (1 spot)= 46 spots

Then the last 2 spots are play-off spots apparently

To me anyway as far as qualifiers, that seems pretty fair to me if you ask me

Archived