2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

9 minutes ago, spinrack said:

To be clear...
The games allotted to Canada and Mexico are supposed to be *group stage only*.  The US gets all elimination games.

As during the bid process, the question for each of the three Canadian host cities remains... are three World Cup group stage games worth the amount of money, effort, infrastructure upgrades, and general disruption which is required by FIFA to host those matches.

Yes.  This is a stepping stone.  Like I said, it's unlikely that FIFA would vote for Canada to host the World Cup by itself, because we don't have the national team, and we don't have the requisite professional leagues setup yet.

Canada probably became a viable co-host for this bid because we successfully hosted the U-20 World Cup in 2007, and then the 2015 Women's World Cup.  Everything is a stepping stone.  And when we successfully host the World Cup group stage matches this time, FIFA will be more likely to grant us our own World Cup down the road.  

To think that other FIFA members will just grant Canada an entire World Cup is naive, IMO.  Not going to happen.  Host the 2026 World Cup successfully, and then take that time to build up our national team and our professional teams.  And then perhaps 25 years from 2026, Canada will get a shot to host it by ourselves.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ansem said:

Now more than ever is it time to lobby directly FIFA for a better redistribution of games including playoffs.

FIFA has last say on which games goes where and how many, not the USSF.

We should throw our efforts in a organized way to keep messaging FIFA through all forms of social media to get more games and playoffs games. 

We could end up with 10 + 5 playoffs instead of just 10. 

Agree with this.  We should lobby FIFA to host at least one or two playoff matches, even in the Round of 16.  That would be fair.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Now more than ever is it time to lobby directly FIFA for a better redistribution of games including playoffs.

FIFA has last say on which games goes where and how many, not the USSF.

We should throw our efforts in a organized way to keep messaging FIFA through all forms of social media to get more games and playoffs games. 

We could end up with 10 + 5 playoffs instead of just 10. 

Not happening and I would not be in favour of this.

Anyways, the bid was made on the basis of matches distributed as published previously; to change that in our favour (or to take away games from us) would create major issues especially with the USSF.

6 minutes ago, football_world said:

Agree with this.  We should lobby FIFA to host at least one or two playoff matches, even in the Round of 16.  That would be fair.

Not going to happen, and it makes us look bad. 

It is what it is, let's make it as good as it can be.

14 hours ago, Ansem said:

At the end of the day, FIFA decides which games go where and how many goes where. Now, I'm feeling we should have thrown as many stadiums as we could which would increase the likeliness of getting more games.

USSF kind of tricked everyone by dictating how the tournaments plays out, that's 100% within FIFA's hands. 

Fifa has the last word. I really hope FIFA allows more matches in Canada and Mexico . Something like 30-25-25 . But I 'll be happy with 40-20-20

7 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Fifa has the last word. I really hope FIFA allows more matches in Canada and Mexico . Something like 30-25-25 . But I 'll be happy with 40-20-20

I'd be happy with 40-20-20 as well, but if there are only 3 CDN and 3 Mexican prospective host cities i can only see the split goung 50-15-15 and all 16 hosts getting ~5 games.

27 minutes ago, admin said:

Not going to happen, and it makes us look bad. 

It is what it is, let's make it as good as it can be.

Passionate fans requesting playoff games in their country makes us look bad? Not sure I understand.

There's no harm in asking as passionate fans, not as angry and bitter anti USSF fans.

I don't see what's the harm in encouraging people, let alone informing them that FIFA has the last say and they should ask/express their desire to see more games than just 10

10 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

But now, we have a real chance to develop the CPL and renovate the stadiums in Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal.

Toronto does not need stadium renovation.  They have already stated that any changes to BMO field will be temporary upgrades for capacity during the World Cup.  A one-time expense for three games.

Montreal, on the other hand...  remember Vancouver’s BC Place upgrade?  Renovating the Big O is on the same scale, so we’re looking at about a half billion dollar price tag.  Although Montreal was always planning a stadium renovation, so WC26 is just another excuse to justify it.

26 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

40-20-20 is fair. Semi finals should be in Mexico and Canada

Just now, spinrack said:

Toronto does not need stadium renovation.  They have already stated that any changes to BMO field will be temporary upgrades for capacity during the World Cup.  A one-time expense for three games.

Montreal, on the other hand...  remember Vancouver’s BC Place upgrade?  Renovating the Big O is on the same scale, so we’re looking at about a half billion dollar price tag.  Although Montreal was always planning a stadium renovation, so WC26 is just another excuse to justify it.

Big O was scheduled for upgrades regardless. Now the province have found their excuse to go all out on the stadium

Fantastic news. Amazing for our program and our country. Should be the driving force in letting the game grow to where we all dream it to be in the country.

Quick question; is it correct that now FIFA will have to have a separate bid to see if all 3 host nations automatically qualify? Any word on the likelihood of FIFA voting for automatic qualification for 2026?

3 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Fantastic news. Amazing for our program and our country. Should be the driving force in letting the game grow to where we all dream it to be in the country.

Quick question; is it correct that now FIFA will have to have a separate bid to see if all 3 host nations automatically qualify? Any word on the likelihood of FIFA voting for automatic qualification for 2026?

Infantino said this morning that FIFA would be discussing if all three countries get in automatically in the upcoming months so we have to wait officially.

Wow. Was actively trying to keep the optomism down, but fucking yes! Congrats everyone! So exciting! Life feels so different knowing that we are now guaranteed to see Canada at a World Cup. Don't think I've ever had something so distant in the future to look forward to!
(and hopefully sooner with Qatar!)

Just now, Rheo said:

Infantino said this morning that FIFA would be discussing if all three countries get in automatically in the upcoming months so we have to wait officially.

Ah shit, what?? ...grumble..grumble..

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Knowing FIFA, they'll make some incredibly bone-headed decision like a three-country playoff to decide who gets the host slot.
Or a bye into the hex... which would still be the closest to the World Cup that our MNT has managed in the last 30 years, LOL.

But seriously, with the expansion to a 48 country tournament, there is no reason not to give spots to all three hosts.

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Passionate fans requesting playoff games in their country makes us look bad? Not sure I understand.

There's no harm in asking as passionate fans, not as angry and bitter anti USSF fans.

I don't see what's the harm in encouraging people, let alone informing them that FIFA has the last say and they should ask/express their desire to see more games than just 10

What makes us look bad is participating in a process to win a bid in good faith, and then trying to change it.   It's not what we agreed to and it's not what people voted for. 

14 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Really? That runs counter to everything I have heard.  With the additional teams in, it's a no brainer.  2 at 32 is the same proportion as 3 at 48. . 

1 minute ago, admin said:

Really? That runs counter to everything I have heard.  With the additional teams in, it's a no brainer.  2 at 32 is the same proportion as 3 at 48. . 

I can find the tweet, just got to look on my phone.  Hopefully just a formality but I'm sure some of the rest of CONCACAF countries won't be happy 

Archived