2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not happening and I would not be in favour of this.

Anyways, the bid was made on the basis of matches distributed as published previously; to change that in our favour (or to take away games from us) would create major issues especially with the USSF.

Lol.  Yeah, we sure wouldn't want to do anything that might upset our dear friend the US.  Especially these days...

Look, I think most people recognize that this is absolutely a net positive for Canadian soccer.  And after people get to sleep on it for a while, I am sure everyone on here will be behind the bid.  But it is somewhat obtuse to pretend that some people couldn't possibly have some grounds for some degree of skepticism about the bid.  Limited to 10 of 80 games, no games in the quarterfinal stage or beyond, a lack of clarity re whether or not we will get auto qualification, etc.  And to top it off, we have largely been used to leverage the success of a predominantly US bid (the "United bid") at a time when we are being attacked by their top officials.

Again, this is positive.  I will be cheering my ass off.  But it isn't without some caveats, and it is silly to pretend otherwise.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lol.  Yeah, we sure wouldn't want to do anything that might upset our dear friend the US.  Especially these days...

Look, I think most people recognize that this is absolutely a net positive for Canadian soccer.  And after people get to sleep on it for a while, I am sure everyone on here will be behind the bid.  But it is somewhat obtuse to pretend that some people couldn't possibly have some grounds for some degree of skepticism about the bid.  Limited to 10 of 80 games, no games in the quarterfinal stage or beyond, a lack of clarity re whether or not we will get auto qualification, etc.  And to top it off, we have largely been used to leverage the success of a predominantly US bid (the "United bid") at a time when we are being attacked by their top officials.

Again, this is positive.  I will be cheering my ass off.  But it isn't without some caveats, and it is silly to pretend otherwise.

That about sums up my views as well! I'm sure once automatic participation is confirmed, if it is, I will be much more positive about this, let's see what happens! 

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree and maybe my point should not have been about ticking off the USSF.

It was more like: we signed onto a cost hosting arrangement and bid to FIFA with a set of matches in each country under the bid.  I would have like 40-20-20 as well.  But to change that now up or down now would be disingenuous. 

Imagine if a Mexican soccer forum started a thread which demands that they get more games at our expense because how can Canada and Mexico be the same in the world of soccer, however that is defined?  I'm not saying it might not have already started. 

This is simply amazing! I can't see FIFA not letting Canada go! 

With that being said the younger generation deserves it. Lots more youth and guys on current squad fully committed to the Red&White. 

Give them that big fat Nike/Adidas contract and blast their mugs over billboard across the country!

Honestly if we can’t qualify for a 48 team world cup with the USA and or Mexico automatically qualifying we don’t deserve to be there and i’d rather not get embarassed 

16 hours ago, masster said:

I share a lot of those feelings. I'm not super excited because I really don't feel like it is OUR bid. Think about it...if we were to progress out of the group stage into the knockout rounds, we wouldn't even be playing at home! It would be in the states where there is a good chance that the opposition would have more fans than we would. How does that sound for a 'home' world cup.

If we are successful, I just hope we can enjoy substantial ancillary benefits.

The tournament is planned to go USA only from the quarter-finals on. That means games for the knockout rounds of 32 (remember, it's an expanded 48-team World Cup) and 16 can be hosted in Canada. Someone did a breakdown when those details were first announced and showed it's very possible to have it guaranteed that Canada would host CMNT games in the round of 32 and 16.

3 games for Canada's 3-team group. 2 round of 32 games (the ones for the winner of our group, and the 2nd place finisher of our group), and 2 round of 16 games (the ones for the winners of the round of 32 games that Canada hosts). That's 7 games, which still allows for Canada to host the games for another 3-team group.

If Mexico follows that template, maybe hosting their own round of 16 match will help them get the round of 16 monkey off of their back (they have lost 6 straight round of 16 matches).

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

The tournament is planned to go USA only from the quarter-finals on.

Are you sure about this?  I was under the impression that no elimination games will be played outside the US.

But I would be very happy to hear that I'm wrong.

Just now, spinrack said:

Are you sure about this?  I was under the impression that no elimination games would be played outside the US.

But I would be very happy to hear that I was wrong.

we get atleast 1 ro32 game according to the preliminary schedule on wikipedia

Just read on my twitter feed news fhe United bid won.  Seems everybody thought Morroco was a shoe in, but FIFA loves money.  Now to see how they divvy up the games and spots.  Isn’t the 2026 WC supposed to have 46?? Teams now??  Take away the United bid that leaves 43?? Spots open.

1 hour ago, admin said:

What makes us look bad is participating in a process to win a bid in good faith, and then trying to change it.   It's not what we agreed to and it's not what people voted for. 

Disagree.

People voted for a united bid but as reported in articles, it wasn't United 2026 to determined how many games hosts gets and where the games will happen. They may merely suggest that's how they (USSF) wish the tournament should go but ultimately, FIFA has the last say.

I think there's an opportunity to lobby positively by sending messages to FIFA on how great it would be for all 3 nations to split playoff games so all 3 countries (supposedly United) are showcased, otherwise, less than 2 weeks in, the FIFA party will leave both Mexico and Canada.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Disagree.

People voted for a united bid but as reported in articles, it wasn't United 2026 to determined how many games hosts gets and where the games will happen. They may merely suggest that's how they (USSF) wish the tournament should go but ultimately, FIFA has the last say.

I think there's an opportunity to lobby positively by sending messages to FIFA on how great it would be for all 3 nations to split playoff games so all 3 countries (supposedly United) are showcased, otherwise, less than 2 weeks in, the FIFA party will leave both Mexico and Canada.

Could this also work against us?  

Mexico should have more games, Canada should have less. 

If it's open for negotiation, I don't see any reason why it should only work in our favor. 

Hate to say I told you so but ......... Anyways I hope now some of the fence sitters decide to join us(even if for selfish reasons), and I'm pretty sure we'll get automatic qualification. And if we do not, if we can't qualify with 7 or 8 spots, we are in trouble.

WE GOT THE WORLD CUPPPPPPPPPPP. Many years of canadian failures at national team level perhaps is worth it. I hope the official notice of Canadian automatic entry is close to follow. Congrats to everyone has had this national program at heart for so many years with few rewards. Lets make this count

Just now, admin said:

Could this also work against us?  

Mexico should have more games, Canada should have less. 

If it's open for negotiation, I don't see any reason why it should only work in our favor. 

I don't see how that would work against us as long as the message is framed positively like I said above, something like:

"it would be a great idea... or It would be a fantastic idea..."

"The game in Canada would grow even better if young players would be able to go see a quarter-final or semi-final...

"It would be fantastic to show a great United bid by having the top 3 games "semis and finals" in all 3 nations"

I agree with you that if we send them angry feedback on greedy Americans and making demands, that's a different story.

As for Mexico deserving more than us, I'd like to think that for a nation with no domestic leagues that broke attendance records for minor world cups and what we still bring to the table (ticket sales in Brazil by Canadians, viewership, CCL media attention etc..) I think we proved ourselves. We're an untapped market for FIFA that happens to be this planet's 10th economy... FIFA recognize that.

A positive campaign can only help us get the most out of this World Cup. I can live with 10 games but we should have at least:

• 1 Semi-Finals games
  • 1 Quarter-Finals games
  • 2 Round of 16 games

I don't buy the argument it's just easier to have playoffs in the States. Last time I checked, a NY-Montreal flight was faster than NY-Los Angeles.

1 hour ago, spinrack said:

Knowing FIFA, they'll make some incredibly bone-headed decision like a three-country playoff to decide who gets the host slot.
Or a bye into the hex... which would still be the closest to the World Cup that our MNT has managed in the last 30 years, LOL.

But seriously, with the expansion to a 48 country tournament, there is no reason not to give spots to all three hosts.

I'm guessing there won't be a hex for 2026 qualifying, since CONCACAF will have 6 spots for the new 48 team format of the World Cup :)

How about this scenario: No automatic qualification, Montreal hosts a match in their way over budget refurbished stadium with our tax $$$, a match with Honduras, who had eliminated us on another corrupt penalty decision in the heat vs Ivory Coast featuring Ballou Tabla? Man so many years of following Canadian soccer has made me quite bitter and broken!?

I mean I know there is a lot of questions of location distribution, but i'm also curious about access distribution.
I know I was kidding about tickets before, but it does raise an interesting question.

Put it this way, I could take the numbers as the are and driving to Nashville to watch a game if I know I have equal access to tickets. I have to figure it's a given that the three host nations will have equal access to games outside of the respective countries. 

I assume when Korea Japan co-hosted that Korean's would get "resident" tickets in Japan.

Archived