2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Stephen Brunt sums today up best https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-will-ride-enormous-wave-soccer-support-2026-world-cup/

• The Olympics are one thing — and the 2010 Games in Vancouver and Whistler were something else entirely — a true watershed moment.

But this, by any objective measure, is going to be bigger.

Absolutely not.

From Canada's perspective, the World Cup is ten individual 90-minute games, with no championship, semi- or quarter-final matches.

The Olympics were a full 2+ weeks of events, 12 hours a day, with competition, including championship finals, in dozens of sports, all hosted in Canada.

It hardly bears comparison.

[Edited to remove invective].

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

If you want to see who voted for who, there's a list here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/13/usa-canada-and-mexico-win-bid-host-2026-fifa-world-cup

Interestingly not all of Comnebol voted for the North American bid as previously reported would be the case  - Brazil for example voted for Morrocco. Iran (who play Morrocco in a couple of days) declined to vote.

Uruguay, Chile and Argentina were rumoured to want to cohost the 2030 World Cup.  So I’m expecting CONCACAF to all vote for the bid down South.  Uruguay wanted the bid alone initially, but Argentina joined since they also wanted to co-host.  Same with Chile.  Funny how all those 3 countried hosted a World cup independantly, but now the economic situation is different that they can’t go at it alone.

2 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Uruguay, Chile and Argentina were rumoured to want to cohost the 2030 World Cup.  So I’m expecting CONCACAF to all vote for the bid down South.  Uruguay wanted the bid alone initially, but Argentina joined since they also wanted to co-host.  Same with Chile.  Funny how all those 3 countried hosted a World cup independantly, but now the economic situation is different that they can’t go at it alone.

Yes, and also the size of the tournament. Far more teams, far more games...

26 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Absolutely not.

From Canada's perspective, the World Cup is ten individual 90-minute games, with no championship, semi- or quarter-final matches.

The Olympics were a full 2+ weeks of events, 12 hours a day, with competition, including championship finals, in dozens of sports, all hosted in Canada.

It hardly bears comparison.

[Edited to remove invective].

If you read the article, he's comparing the impact the World Cup will have on soccer in Canada will be greater compared to the impact of the Olympics.  Not the scale of each event.

I can't wait for this! It will be awesome! My only question is that, what types of renovations will have to be done to BMO in Toronto? We already know that Montreal is getting a new roof, and new seats for the stadium. Edmonton might have to make a few upgrades such as adding another scoreboard. But Toronto is trying to get their capacity to 45,000. Could we see another major renovation at BMO? 

16 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:

I can't wait for this! It will be awesome! My only question is that, what types of renovations will have to be done to BMO in Toronto? We already know that Montreal is getting a new roof, and new seats for the stadium. Edmonton might have to make a few upgrades such as adding another scoreboard. But Toronto is trying to get their capacity to 45,000. Could we see another major renovation at BMO? 

They've already stated that the only planned changes to BMO field will be temporary bleachers to expand the capacity for the duration of the games that are played there.  And probably some minor changes to accommodate increased security, etc.  In other words, no permanent alteration of any significance.

Of course all such plans could change, but they indicated nothing beyond that in the bid.

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Holland probably wanted to appease its high Moroccan population, the ex-pats engaging in cross country business....possibly something more shady as well happening in the background. 

Or maybe they just preferred Morocco? The implication here is that anyone who voted for Morocco is corrupt. I know it's FIFA and all, but that's not the way it always works.

I see a lot of "I wish Canada had more games" but then I also see people complaining about how much money is spent on infrastructure etc....isn't this kind of the best of both worlds?? Canada gets to host but the amount of money spent on infrastructure is kept somewhat low...

If Canada gets the auto bid it really becomes a total win/win..especially considering any fence sitters that could help the team would certainly be more likely to join the ranks given a guaranteed chance to play in the World Cup....already excited for 2022 qualifying to begin

3 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

I see a lot of "I wish Canada had more games" but then I also see people complaining about how much money is spent on infrastructure etc....isn't this kind of the best of both worlds?? Canada gets to host but the amount of money spent on infrastructure is kept somewhat low...

No.  The amount of money/infrastructure required for each of the Canadian host cities is pretty much the same regardless of how many games are played there (within reason).  Each of our cities will be hosting about one game per week.  It doesn't require much more effort to host 2, or even 3,  games per week.

Rollins had an interesting note on Soccer Today pod yesterday.   A couple of weeks ago the vibes from the United bid were so so low that there were instructions to CPL officials to not talk about the World Cup as a building block but in the last week attitude went up around the United camp.

11 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Rollins had an interesting note on Soccer Today pod yesterday.   A couple of weeks ago the vibes from the United bid were so so low that there were instructions to CPL officials to not talk about the World Cup as a building block but in the last week attitude went up around the United camp.

It was such a huge swing and such a decisive victory, I was actually worried about it....and still am a bit.

5 minutes ago, admin said:

It was such a huge swing and such a decisive victory, I was actually worried about it....and still am a bit.

It was the literal roller coaster.  From seemingly no brainer, to oh that's cute, Morocco is bidding, to oh crap what's going on.   

Being a Ghanaian-Canadian well being born in this country and raised in this country I can honestly say that yesterday I cried. I legitimately cried tears of joy because I am so excited at the prospect of us hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup especially right here in our backyard. Excited, happy and all the way around just really proud because the sport here in Canada has more or less evolved.

Canada even if we don't qualify automatically as hosts and we have to participate in 2026 CONCACAF FIFA World Cup qualifying, then on the slight chance we don't qualify wouldn't we be there anyway regardless? Furthermore, because of the fact that we are co-hosting the tournament along with Mexico and USA?

Just now, Tg11 said:

Canada even if we don't qualify automatically as hosts and we have to participate in 2026 CONCACAF FIFA World Cup qualifying, then on the slight chance we don't qualify wouldn't we be there anyway regardless? Furthermore, because of the fact that we are co-hosting the tournament along with Mexico and USA?

We will qualify as hosts.  FIFA has already said we will, they just need to put it in writing is my understanding.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

We will qualify as hosts.  FIFA has already said we will, they just need to put it in writing is my understanding.

If that is true and you are right then well it gives Canada even more time to prepare as co-hosts. If given automatic qualification Canada does not even have to participate in the qualifiers in the Hex which means Canada all they would have to do is focus on getting the team ready which means playing more friendly matches against teams who are higher than they are in the FIFA rankings to boost Canada's ranking as hosts.

It was nice to see how transparent the bidding was yesterday, with the individual countries voting and the votes revealed. It was also nice to see the praise for the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice for really cleaning up FIFA from the European media after realizing how badly and corruptly their own countries had run FIFA for so long.

Just kidding on that last part, of course! 

Archived